Clive Interview | Page 6 | Vital Football

Clive Interview

In 1981 I worked at the Echo on a YTS with a gent call Geoff Parkinson, he used to help run the bingo. The tea hut I was in was at the top of where the university stand is now, when the stand behind the goal (Echo?) was wooden, you could stand in front of the new Echo stand then.
The corner terrace tea Hut

Yes thats the one.
I remember it well. It may well have been me topping you up with snacks and a fresh tea urn at half time! I remember having to carry those urns through the crowds at half time with all the jokers in the crowd trying to turn the tap on as we squeezed through!

I understand that Chris was a pretty good teacher too. Didn’t he work with special needs children in the city?

I can remember an away trip to somewhere like Crystal Palace in the 90s and one lad going to the front of the bus and asking the driver to turn the interior lights off so he and his mates could get some kip. Doreen was not happy and chuntered about it all the bloody way home, as she couldn’t read her book. And there was the time a few of us were about to get on the bus at Sincil Bank and Chris goes to us ‘here come the rich lads’. Why he thought we were rich was beyond us but I have always remembered that little quip with a smile.

I remember it well. It may well have been me topping you up with snacks and a fresh tea urn at half time! I remember having to carry those urns through the crowds at half time with all the jokers in the crowd trying to turn the tap on as we squeezed through!

I used to stand in that corner in the 70s and remember the cafe at the back.
I always remember a gentleman who also stood in there who was always immaculately dressed in collar and tie and I still see him in town today and he still dresses immaculately and looks exactly the same as he did back then.

I have to say Liam is fair and honest and will tell you straight and he certainly has the best interests of the club at heart. In the meetings I have attended Liam ,Alan and Jake were very warm and welcoming to all. I didn't agree with everything they said but hopefully in the near future the playing field can be levelled and from my point of view I realised it would be a bit silly to deny myself something which has been a huge part of my life for so long.

Only just catching up with the posts, so very pleased to see this. Sometimes sticking strictly to principles can cause too much unnecessary personal hardship. Well done Clanfordimp, we all know your heart is in the right place.

Come on City.

I understand that Chris was a pretty good teacher too. Didn’t he work with special needs children in the city?

I can remember an away trip to somewhere like Crystal Palace in the 90s and one lad going to the front of the bus and asking the driver to turn the interior lights off so he and his mates could get some kip. Doreen was not happy and chuntered about it all the bloody way home, as she couldn’t read her book. And there was the time a few of us were about to get on the bus at Sincil Bank and Chris goes to us ‘here come the rich lads’. Why he thought we were rich was beyond us but I have always remembered that little quip with a smile.
Yes he was. At one of the schools I taught at he was the visiting Ed-Psych.