Climate change. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Climate change.

Governments will not do anything.....you have explained the reason yourself.
We have done presentations etc in Westminster, along with many others to no avail.
This is what Governments do.......thanks George!!

https://www.globalccsinstitute.com/projects/white-rose-ccs-project

There is so much misinformation on Global Warming from both sides, that makes debate and rational argument impossible. There is a problem, that is not fully understood, but it needs to be tackled.

Whatever, mankind has a morale obligation to minimize its footprint on our planet, after all we only share it.
For that we need to educate people on how to live more simply, efficiently and cleaner. That lead will not come from Government, it will come from generating the desire within the general public to make a change.
When we start doing that, we will have a major impact on improving our environment.

One thing is for sure, the way we live in the future will be vastly different to the way we live now.....maybe Walt Disney’s original concept for EPCOT wasn’t far from the mark.....

It's not so much I disagree about moral obligation but I would suggest survival is even more important!

Have done some work here. Make no mistake we are on course for a Malthusian population correction. The only real questions are tipping points, speed, recovery and such like. Exacerbate is not entirely inaccurate but it does need to be clearly put alongside the context; that is to say we r overloading the natural regeneration capacity of the biosphere (environment).

The outlook 50+ years is way worse than now, which is the worst it's been since the last great extinction event 65m years ago.

Just another project fear eh?

https://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11524958/energy-storage-rail

Here's an article about the use of rail energy storage. Who knows what will be invented next!?

It’s actually a clever take on an already used concept. Basically it’s a pumped storage system but without the pumps and water.

I would think that the biggest drawback would be space, and the fact it only has limited and small capacity, but could very easily provide a reliable backup or balancing device to protect the grid if there is a dip in available generation.
If there was a plentiful supply of water available it could be a net generator by using water in a counterbalance device to return the weight to the top of the hill. Same concept as the old systems used for emergency winding out of the pits.

The UK has quite a bit of pumped storage in Wales and Scotland.
Dinorwig in Wales is a huge station that can provide about 1350Mw in 16 seconds if needed. That’s the same as turning on 3 of the 4 units at Ratcliffe at the flick of a switch (Ratcliffe would take about an hour from a warm condition to achieve the same state). Dinorwig can run like this for about 7 hours.
Once it’s closed down, they just use cheap electricity to pump the water back from the bottom lake to the top one.
It shares the mountain with the Ffestiniog Power Station, same concept but much older and smaller. Together the site is called Electric Mountain. A great visitor centre with underground tours if you are every in North Wales.

Foyers in Scotland is the biggest there on the banks of Loch Ness. Beautiful place to work, but very creepy at night!!

Last edited:
Well this is a rather stark warning......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45775309

In the hands of politicians now........that should be enough to create Project Fear 2.

It really is down to individuals to take a grasp on this and drive things forward. No one in Government, where every they are, will commit to the type of expense and lifestyle change that is going to be needed to make this happen.

Maybe we could produce an environmentally friendly vehicle in the UK which is sold in the UK and produce the parts in the UK. This would immediately get rid of thousands of lorries travelling backwards and forwards to all parts of Europe needlessly.

I've just watched our local TV news and our idiot PM has again been approached re climate change and again has said that the most important thing for him is to get the price of power down. This is the same bloke who said we'll achieve the Paris figures in a canter when all the experts tell him he's got no chance. He's in charge though and I suspect that he's not the only world leader to spout the same rubbish.

What a bogup !

Just watched an interesting BBC film on Siberia. At the end the film showed how the permafrost was starting to thaw and emitting large amounts of methane gas which in turn was playing hell with climate change.

I'm beginning to think that I was probably born at the right time but that doesn't seem to be much consolation.

Just to remind everyone that this is Green GB week.
A Government initiative to raise debate on climate change.......lagging behind Vital again, but I guess it’s a step in the right direction

Yes, I understand those pseud wannabes in Off Topic have been debating this BS with their tops off for several months and are still yet to get their feeble threads to triple figures.

Now the toilet looks inviting, and I have fishcakes to shift

Toodlepip

Just to remind everyone that this is Green GB week.
A Government initiative to raise debate on climate change.......lagging behind Vital again, but I guess it’s a step in the right direction
Shame that's all they've got.
If they were serious they would have some decent green policies (or at least fewer anti-green policies) and be putting out statements that Trump is an arse.

Blimey ORF, that looked a bit damp in your neck of the woods yesterday.
Hope you and yours weren’t affected.

Blimey ORF, that looked a bit damp in your neck of the woods yesterday.
Hope you and yours weren’t affected.

Definitely damp up in the hills where we live Feco, it actually started with a blinding flash of lightening at 5 in the morning followed by a resounding crack of thunder then followed by the dog trying hard to get into bed ! About 5 inches of rain in an hour at our place and the term "one in a 100 years" being used. We were lucky, no real damage although the storm left a trail behind it, roads, rail, housing, and more.
Yet up in Qld they're having the worst bush fires ever. Our apology for a Govt is still blind to Climate Change but the mood in general is starting to change as more detailed information comes in. Over here we're finding out that animal, bird and even fish habits are changing.
On a personal level I feel sure that whatever is done to help will be too late and that nature will carry on regardless.
Human nature's a funny thing.

I’m pleased that you didn’t suffer any damage, hopefully your dog has recovered from the shock too.

There has been a couple of interesting climate articles on TV here in the UK this week, unfortunately pretty much hidden by the Brexit debacle.

One was regarding a university, I think it was Swansea, that has found that on old steel works tip is actually absorbing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. It’s only very small amounts, but they are carry8ng out research to understand why, and also to see if they can enhance the process.

The other one was Drax Power, our largest power station. I have been part of the team that has converted 4 of the generating units to run on Biomass as opposed to coal. It is essentially carbon neutral now, on those units because the tree waste they burn is from tress that have a 30 year cycle. Any carbon dioxide they put out, is in theory, captured over the 30 years by the replacement trees.
Obviously coal is a carbon store that is millions of years old, so when it’s released it’s not captured.....at the moment.
Drax believe they can capture the gas and return it to the ground where it came from permanently. They appear to have Government support to develop the process too.

Irrespective of how this is created, if the possibilty of capturing and storing carbon dioxide can be achieved, it’s another small step in the right direction to reversing mankind’s current footprint.

Feco, couple of interesting points you raise in that post, it's just a pity it's only happening now instead of a few years ago. Even so it's still progress. Here in Oz we're busy clearing more land at a fast pace with no thought for the future and yet we complain about the same thing happening all over S.E.Asia. As you would know in many cases Climate Change goes hand in glove with wiping out Flora and Fauna at a pretty good lick. All the clearing over here is beginning to have disastrous results on some of our animals and birds, latest on the list of threatened species including platypus and koalas. Yet all of this has to be OK'd by our State and Federal Govts. We're told it's all happening because we 're saving jobs, what a shortsighted attitude. I tend to think that it's more a question of too many of our M.P.s trying to save their own jobs. And no question of replacing all the trees and shrubs we're knocking out. And we're still in the process of OKing new coal mines, it's all OK as we're saving jobs! We're a rich country and we still think in third world terms, makes me sick.

It's been 36 degrees here today and very humid, wonder if it's getting to my brain.