Climate change. | Page 13 | Vital Football

Climate change.

@in_the_top_one you know a system is broken when ultimately the only meaningful measure is one of financial cost. What's particularly disappointing is that even within that narrow definition of worth it's been apparent for a long long time that even a basic CBA shows just how devastating Climate Change is to wealth, let alone people/planet.

@in_the_top_one you know a system is broken when ultimately the only meaningful measure is one of financial cost. What's particularly disappointing is that even within that narrow definition of worth it's been apparent for a long long time that even a basic CBA shows just how devastating Climate Change is to wealth, let alone people/planet.

All of our pollies know that although they don't actually say it.

It's expensive in the short term and lasts longer than a term in office. Sigh.
That's why we need supra national organisations to blame it on.

We've had a horrible year over here for weather, serious drought, extensive and expensive bush fires, too much rain, floods, you name it and we've had it. And on top of that we now have the Chinese virus which is playing hell with our economy, China being our biggest trading partner. Our tourist industry has now reduced itself to bugger all as well.
The one bright spot is that our Pollies have finally found themselves in a corner and have acknowledged that climate change is here to stay. I can hardly wait to find out what they're going to do about it.

The downside to this is that I can visualise an expensive year or two coming up on a personal level.

ORF, we've just had the wettest Feb on record and the dryest ever May, or something like that.

Climate breakdown. Uh oh.

I don't think we'll be making any great strides in terms of the massive international cooperation that is required to tackle this anytime soon.
The US non-leadership, a riled China and our departure from the EU have screwed everything good and proper.

At some point we are going to have to face reality, embrace the truth and realise that we won't muddle through somehow unless we take the big, expensive, and society-changing decisions we all know in our hearts are necessary. Not muddling through isn't as bad as it sounds; it's worse. It could mean extinction.
I'd love to see us going at this problem in the same (but better) way we have taken on covid. Shame we're broke.

On the plus side we were paying power stations to shut down last week. The virus has actually accelerated some of the plans to switch to renewables and the earth could breathe a little easier for that couple of months of global lockdown. Now we need to make some of those positive changes stick. Forever.

ORF, we've just had the wettest Feb on record and the dryest ever May, or something like that.

Climate breakdown. Uh oh.

I don't think we'll be making any great strides in terms of the massive international cooperation that is required to tackle this anytime soon.
The US non-leadership, a riled China and our departure from the EU have screwed everything good and proper.

At some point we are going to have to face reality, embrace the truth and realise that we won't muddle through somehow unless we take the big, expensive, and society-changing decisions we all know in our hearts are necessary. Not muddling through isn't as bad as it sounds; it's worse. It could mean extinction.
I'd love to see us going at this problem in the same (but better) way we have taken on covid. Shame we're broke.

On the plus side we were paying power stations to shut down last week. The virus has actually accelerated some of the plans to switch to renewables and the earth could breathe a little easier for that couple of months of global lockdown. Now we need to make some of those positive changes stick. Forever.

Sounds about right. At long last our Govt has agreed Climate Change is real, I can hardly wait to see how they're going to handle it!

Sounds about right. At long last our Govt has agreed Climate Change is real, I can hardly wait to see how they're going to handle it!

They won't. It will business as usual for as long as possible. It's good that our ancestors didn't behave in such a way or maybe they didn't have the power to.ZZZ________untitled.png

They won't. It will business as usual for as long as possible. It's good that our ancestors didn't behave in such a way or maybe they didn't have the power to.View attachment 40349

You're right, I really don't know why the rest of us bother, it's never going to happen, until the penny drops and then it will be too late. And when you realise that a great deal of the world is in no position to help anyway it's almost tempting to say just leave it and get on with life. And then some of us remember that we have grandchildren and great grandchildren and say bugger it, I'm going to have a go regardless of the result.
I wish that I could visualise a decent result but I can't and it's beginning to get me down.

In Australia we're beginning to see the results of Climate Change, a bit faster than I thought it would be. It has been proved that the oceans are warming up and this is beginning to affect a good many other things as well, as we are finding out on the Eastern side of Oz. We live on the North Western outskirts of Sydney, on top of a ridge and on 5 acres, this last few days I've emptied my rain gauge 3 times and it holds 130 mills so you can appreciate that we've had quite a lot of rain resulting in massive floods up and down the NSW and QLD coasts, they are so bad that the Army has been called in to help get food and other urgent supplies moving.
We have a very big front lawn and there is water standing all over it. Tonight we have heavy winds forecast which will probably result in trees and power lines down all over the place, this for the second time in a fortnight and it's starting to be a bit expensive. Our Summer has only just finished and is probably the worst we can remember.
Our Government, like many others is hopeless and fails to lead so it's left to private enterprise to have a go, which is what is happening here but it's a slow job.

We've just celebrated the arrival of our seventh greatgrandchild and I shudder to think what the future holds for them.