Class war on the bbc? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Class war on the bbc?

I’m confused. I always considered the privileged boarding schools etc to be private, while the normal high schools and grammar schools like the Howard were public?

Top 10 is basically Calvin Harris (who used to work in a fish processing plant in Scotland) and a load of rappers, so I think the answer is not many

I think Mark Ronson has done rather in recent years as well, and he went to private Collegiate School in Manhattan followed by New York University.

When I used to follow music closer (70s/80s) there were so many one hit wonders and groups that knew they only had a three or four year window of fame so really milked it.

Similarly, I understand that 90%+ of the acting profession are out of work at any one time and they are self employed with no pension provision.

In the greater scheme of things, there are not a lot of musicians or actors for those less privileged to be envious of.

Doh. Of course he is/I am. Did you understand what Alderman posted?

I would admit that class isn't AS crucial in the music industry and football as it is in many other walks of life.

Well, you're wrong. The last 20 years has passed you by

...and dont forget some of the single parents or parents who don't have a pot to piss in but sacrifice everything sometimes having two jobs to get their child into a private school to give them a start in life and spend all their spare hours encouraging them to sing dance and study or do sport just to give their kids a chance

...and dont forget some of the single parents or parents who don't have a pot to piss in but sacrifice everything sometimes having two jobs to get their child into a private school to give them a start in life and spend all their spare hours encouraging them to sing dance and study or do sport just to give their kids a chance
What point are you trying to make?

I assume you are agreeing with me in that those parents have to make massive sacrifices and do horrendous amounts of work to bridge the gap. Others on this post seem to think it is a level playing field.

If your parents aren't so fanatical then you're f###ed.

Others on this post seem to think it is a level playing field.
And you think it isn't, despite (yet again) providing no evidence. All you need to become famous nowadays is a camera and a YouTube account, and you can get into the charts without even having a record deal. The world isn't like it was 20 years ago, time has moved on.

My kids never watch TV, they watch YouTube. The biggest music stars in the world are Eminem, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran, DJ Khalid etc, and there are "superstars" like KSI and Big Shaq who have never been on TV

Others on this post seem to think it is a level playing field.

And there are some on here who think being rich already is the only way to make it in show business.

No one is arguing there is a perfectly level playing field and that money doesn’t help. What is being argued is that access to wealth is not the make or break factor in being successful in the music business in the same way it might have been in the 70s and 80s.

There is nothing that a posh music school could teach that you couldn’t find online if you are prepared to do research. The ability to sing or play guitar comes down to commitment and practice. Publicity and getting your name out there can be done via the likes of Youtube if you are internet savvy. A cheap computer with some music editing software is all you need to create your own sound and if you want to make an album and record it in a studio then you have access to Kickstarter.

People like Ed Sheeran are successful not because of their background but because they tend to be highly talented in writing the music and songs that resonate with people.