Class war on the bbc? | Vital Football

Class war on the bbc?

One of the newer silly left wing ideas that if you are too well educated you really should not be allowed to make the working mans music or comedy. Sorry Queen and Monty Python etc.
Cerys has a good show too, but it's strength is that it plays a really wide diversity of music. So it's a bit ironic if she is choosing to act like a dictator and do her own bit of cleansing of the smarter musicians.

One of the newer silly left wing ideas that if you are too well educated you really should not be allowed to make the working mans music or comedy. Sorry Queen and Monty Python etc.
Cerys has a good show too, but it's strength is that it plays a really wide diversity of music. So it's a bit ironic if she is choosing to act like a dictator and do her own bit of cleansing of the smarter musicians.
Smarter? Or more well off parents?

What do you expect???

Just another welsh individual with a chip on their shoulder, stated from their elevated position in life.

From reading all her comments, she is actually saying the BBC should be playing less songs from white men in the name of diversity.

She specifically stated thay she isn't banning anyone so this is a typical DM phoney "outrage".

Imo quite reasonable to take account of background. Social engineering to balance up the social engineering that has already occured.

Smarter? Or more well off parents?
Either. The point is, absolutely anybody can make music (or comedy or art or anything). If you are determined to prejudice someone just because they have had a decent upbringing then it's a nonsense.
If you are crap but have a degree then the kid from the gutter with a talent will still rise to the top. And vice versa.

Of all the places that there are diversity it is in music. Money dictates, if it will sell and or it is good then it will be promoted.

Total equality is required, remove any politics or bias. Start with scrapping the racist MOBOs maybe lol.

Last edited:
I listen to a lot of 6 Music and you do notice, when they interview the younger bands, that a lot of them sound awfully posh compared to their predecessors.

I suspect the problem is that it's no longer possible to spend time honing your art unless you've got independent means to do so. Just think how many of the great bands of the past bummed around on the dole or at art school for years before they got their break.

No-one's saying privileged kids can't make great music - Pink Floyd, Genesis and Queen spring to mind - and certainly not that they should be banned (although I'd make an exception for Mumford and Sons there), but it does increasingly seem that other than the stage school crowd, you don't hear as many working class kids in the music business.

I suspect the same goes for a lot of the other arts as well.

I listen to a lot of 6 Music and you do notice, when they interview the younger bands, that a lot of them sound awfully posh compared to their predecessors.

I suspect the problem is that it's no longer possible to spend time honing your art unless you've got independent means to do so. Just think how many of the great bands of the past bummed around on the dole or at art school for years before they got their break.

No-one's saying privileged kids can't make great music - Pink Floyd, Genesis and Queen spring to mind - and certainly not that they should be banned (although I'd make an exception for Mumford and Sons there), but it does increasingly seem that other than the stage school crowd, you don't hear as many working class kids in the music business.

I suspect the same goes for a lot of the other arts as well.
Same seems to go for the acting profession. To his credit, posh boy Cumbrrbatch has been saying this.
There are some exceptions of course (Tom Hardy?) and the same goes for Oxbridge entrants, but the deck is stacked against the poor. I say this as someone who's had a relatively privileged upbringing. I'm happy for positive action to give a chance to others to redress the imbalance.

Also, having now read that article (Christ, I feel dirty), at no point did she say she's banning people from public schools, just that she likes to play more diverse stuff as a counterbalance. Various clueless MPs and Daily Mail readers then proceeed to be outraged anyway.

For the record, I never liked her band, but her show is one of the best things on the radio, precisely because there's no playlist and she plays a lot of music you wouldn't hear otherwise.

Just looks like another ludicrous attempt by the DM to convince people that the BBC is a hotbed of communism.

Music success is not about social class, it is everything to do with whether people want to listen/buy your music.

Same seems to go for the acting profession. To his credit, posh boy Cumbrrbatch has been saying this.
There are some exceptions of course (Tom Hardy?) and the same goes for Oxbridge entrants, but the deck is stacked against the poor. I say this as someone who's had a relatively privileged upbringing. I'm happy for positive discrimination to give a chance to others to redress the imbalance.

Do you think the BBC should hire second rate actors for their dramas in order to encourage people from poorer backgrounds to apply?

Music success is not about social class, it is everything to do with whether people want to listen/buy your music.
The point is, do a large section of the public get to hear it in the first place?

Are you seriously saying that bands from poor backgrounds have as much chance of making it as those from wealthy backgrounds with contacts in the industry?

Are the working class born less talented then?