Clarke Carlisle | Vital Football

Clarke Carlisle

ASPINALL

Vital Champions League
This bloke seems to suffer with many types of mental health issues, and everyone in this World IMO should get the chance to try and rebuild their lives.

What I can't get my head around is the ridiculous amount of convictions for drink driving, he even admits some of the stuff he's done over last 10/15 years are abysmal and put so many lives in danger ( not just his )

Surely at some point, he needs to be taken away from normal civilisation if he is such a threat to others with his drinking and random blow outs behind a wheel for just one example.

With him admitting himself that he has put people in danger, what would he say about the suggestion of being moved into a more secure environment? Not only to ensure the safety of others but for himself as well?

I agree mate, I know it's dramatic but if he had took out a person on one of occasions the media would be on a witch hunt.

It just seems to be same stories / plan / new start then he goes nuts again.

Yes, it's sad to see when a healthy young fella falls apart so much. As the one BBC article says, he's struggled to come to terms with the end of the football career and this has been seen with certain rock and pop stars as well over the years when their careers dwindle, including a few suicides obvioulsy... (Big Country lead singer, Associates singer) and breakdowns like Adam Ant.

Wonder if he has received a formal mental health diagnosis?

With certain conditions DVLA can revoke a licemce for a specified period of time

Isn't he facing a dangerous driving charge?

Let's hope he can get his life back on track.Intelligent bloke.has a lot to offer

I don't see what he does have to offer though ?

He seems to spiral out of control on a very regular basis, putting lives at risk.

Does he not know right from wrong through this illness?

Cannot deny that drink driving is inexcusable

But am amazed that he is allowed to get away with " ridiculous" convictions. Surely the courts take into account previous convictions.

By a lot to offer I mean IF he can stay on the straight and narrow.He did a good job at the PFA and also came across well on Question Time.Like many people with mental health problems he is very intelligent and so hopefully he can find a role within sports administration/young players etc

But he is facing another drink driving charge which has been delayed until March due to his ill health.They should take his licence away for a specified time. He has got to stop this drink driving.I hope he is under his local Community Mental Health Team (CMHT) - he should be after being sectioned under the Mental Health Act- such teams are very experienced in trying to keep people safe and positive.

Do people actually read the articles? He's been diagnosed with depression and he's been in a psychiatric hospital?

Skeg - these treatments can't be working mate ?

He keeps putting his and other lives at risk, does depression allow people to continually break the law?

You may say yes, I am no expert but it seems very dangerous to me

No. depression does not absolve people generally in the eyes of the law

With serious crimes it could be that if depression is deemed to be a contributing factor and a custodial sentence is invoked then this may lead to people being sent to secure hospitals rather than prison

But would not be for drink driving except if someone killed or badly hurt

He should have his licence taken away until a doctor certifies him as safe to drive.Or it could be that action is already being taken to this effect.My experience of this area is that it is reliant on the patient to inform DVLA of their recent stay in a psychiatric facility- some patients do and some do not

He cant have a licence surely ? 5th conviction ?

I just don't get the leniency, if he'd wiped a kid out the media would want him killed

Don't understand it either I must admit but he has not still got his licence "because" of his depression

Maybe he was drink driving without a licence? But presumably that would be in the press

Depression only comes into play as a potential mitigating factor.. depressives are as subject to the law as anyone else

The car still works whether you have a license or not. Revoking a license doesn't remove a persons access to a car.

People drive without a license, tax, mot or insurance all the time.

So, even if the court have or do revoke his license that doesn't mean he wouldn't drive.

Possible that he has a problem with drink that needs to be addressed if it isn't being. Drink is a depressant and makes matters worse.

It is very common for people who are depressed to turn to drink as a way to ''cope'' It doesn't work and makes things worse. I hope this has been discussed with him. How much notice he takes though is another matter.

After the amount of drink/drive charges he really needs to stop

There really is no excuse. Surely the man knows the risks, not only to himself, but more importantly, to other innocents victims.

The guy needs help. He is more 'switched on' than Gazza so hopefully it will work out for him.

He does seem far more confident and articulate than I would have thought with all those demons in his head.

Maybe another career would be better advised, football media seems to fluctuate regularly with presenters and commentators - with him taking rejection so badly it must be a bad environment for him to forge a career in.

I can't believe people on here you've obviously haven't the slightest clue on how people with server depression feel. You might be confident on the outside but inside there's nothing but self loathing and thoughts that everyone would be better off with out you. Rational thoughts go out the window you drink to dull the pain and that's the worse thing you can do. Booze merely brings on a bravado effect a voice that encourages you and almost demands you do it. People with depression are very ill they become insular and for many preoccupied with doing it. They think they are worthless and those who love them wouldn't care if they did kill themselves and would probably be relived if they did.

Clarke Carlise thankfully has started treatment he's having medication and the best treatment, in my opinion, he's talking and someone is listening non judgemental. If I could do one thing for him I'd give him my number and tell him anytime day or night phone me and I'll listen. I've been there I've been on an industrial estate with a pack of pills ready to "spare" people from the useless article I am and to spare myself from the black thoughts and self loathing, but my phone rang and unbeknown to my daughter her moaning saved me.

ASPINALL - 7/2/2015 08:04

He does seem far more confident and articulate than I would have thought with all those demons in his head.

Bloody Stephen Fry must be the biggest fraud going as for Vincent Van Gogh!!!!! What an utterly ridiculous statement. The man has depression is not in a permanent vegetive state!