Clarke Carlisle accident | Vital Football

Clarke Carlisle accident

spursgirl_4_life

Vital Football Legend
There were some local suggestions before it was confirmed to be him that it was a suicide attempt...

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11681760.display/

Former footballer Clarke Carlisle in hospital after collision with lorry on A64

FORMER footballer Clarke Carlisle remains in hospital with serious injuries today following an accident on the A64.

Emergency crews were called to the collision between a lorry and a pedestrian at 7.30am yesterday, near Bishopthorpe.

Reports surfaced last night that the man involved was Clarke Carlisle - the 35-year-old former Leeds United, York City, QPR, Burnley and Northampton Town centre back.

York City director Sophie McGill said last night: "The club was shocked and stunned by the news and Clarke Carlisle is in our thoughts and prayers. We are all thinking of his family. He is somebody we know well as a former player and it's really shocking news."

North Yorkshire Police have not confirmed the identity of the injured man, and said they were still investigating the cause of the incident.

It was suggested on Monday that the injured man either walked into the road or fell from a bridge into the path of oncoming traffic.

The road was closed between Copmanthorpe and Fulford to allow the air ambulance to land at the scene, and the man was taken to Leeds General Infirmary with life threatening injuries.

North Yorkshire Police re-opened the westbound carriageway at 9am but the eastbound carriageway and on the slip road from Sim-Balk Lane remained closed until 11am while officers carried out a full examination of the scene.

Considerable traffic had built up and the incident had caused congestion and delays coming into York on Poppleton Road, Acomb Road and Holgate Road.

Sad to read this, I hope he pulls through on all fronts.

I have always been impressed by Clarke, humorous and informative.

He has reportedly battled with depression in the past, even rumours of an attempted suicide.

Such a destructive illness depression both for the individual and those close to them.

As SG4L suggested by the posted article that it was deemed to be a suicide attempt... I am assuming that's the reason for the lack of coverage ?

sounds suspicious. if true then this just bolsters the evidence for depression in retired footballers. they've been taken in as kids and it's all they know. to have that taken away.....

Spurfect11 - 5/1/2015 08:42

sounds suspicious. if true then this just bolsters the evidence for depression in retired footballers. they've been taken in as kids and it's all they know. to have that taken away.....

While I sympathise with people having to change their occupations after their initial careers have come to an end, it happens to a lot of people whose jobs come to an end. We need to MAN-UP as a society and learn that a job is not our life, our life is our existence and they are not synonymous. If a job is lost, well that's bad news but it's not the end of life. We need to be taught from an early age that if things change in life, we need to pick ourselves up and get on with it. It's sad maybe but life goes on. If you put your life into the hands of drink or drugs, you should know what the consequences of that is. We've been told enough. PARENTS take note. If you bring your kids up wrong, they will end up wrong. Teach them the best things for goodness sake. Give them good values.

I know this is an aside from the thread topic (sorry SG4L) but it's something we need to campaign for, that kids get better upbringing and prevent the possibilities that people react wrongly to events in their life. It's not something that society has to do for them (as in the social state) but something parents have to be responsible for.

Cider good thinking but a very very long way from achieving it.

Welshtel - 5/1/2015 10:16

While I sympathise with people having to change their occupations after their initial careers have come to an end, it happens to a lot of people whose jobs come to an end. We need to MAN-UP as a society and learn that a job is not our life, our life is our existence and they are not synonymous. If a job is lost, well that's bad news but it's not the end of life. We need to be taught from an early age that if things change in life, we need to pick ourselves up and get on with it. It's sad maybe but life goes on. If you put your life into the hands of drink or drugs, you should know what the consequences of that is. We've been told enough. PARENTS take note. If you bring your kids up wrong, they will end up wrong. Teach them the best things for goodness sake. Give them good values.

I know this is an aside from the thread topic (sorry SG4L) but it's something we need to campaign for, that kids get better upbringing and prevent the possibilities that people react wrongly to events in their life. It's not something that society has to do for them (as in the social state) but something parents have to be responsible for.

footballers stand apart though. I mean, what person here starts their career at 8-10 years old? and get the salary footballers get paid means they are completely detached from reality and suddenly are expected to cope? you might say diddums, but retired footballers are essentially that 8 year old when it comes to trying to live like us. used to getting everything, being adored and looked after by clubs etc and then reduced to pretty much nothing.

it's hard to come down from such heights.

Spurfect11 - 5/1/2015 12:58

footballers stand apart though. I mean, what person here starts their career at 8-10 years old? and get the salary footballers get paid means they are completely detached from reality and suddenly are expected to cope? you might say diddums, but retired footballers are essentially that 8 year old when it comes to trying to live like us. used to getting everything, being adored and looked after by clubs etc and then reduced to pretty much nothing.

Talking of which, I did laugh when Phil Neville said he had to ring up his wife and ask how to make a cup of coffee..

Life's tough in Football.

It think anyone telling someone with Clinical depression to man up should get a stupidity badge.

Spurfect11 - 5/1/2015 12:58

But they can afford a support network. Us regular Joes get no help whatsoever.

If you are a bloke, even the mental health system is against you. They only give a crap if they feel you can hurt someone else. You aren't a priority to them. Men are expendable. They swoon after women's services, they are far better funded and organised and that is down to the apparent "caring nature" of women.

That is an insider's view btw. I loathe working for a mental healthcare organisation and will hopefully be handing my notice in shortly. I can' be a part of it any more.