Clapping | Page 5 | Vital Football

Clapping

I see the Tory MP for Morcambe is being called out for gross hypocrisy over his clapping and then unfairly attacking a local GP in a publicity stunt.

Don't know about anyone else but in my street (in Wigmore) last nights applause was the best yet. Two weeks ago a few were out. I clapped because I know neighbours with family in Guildford and Medway NHS.
But it has grown. Even the miserable git 3 doors up was out and joining in the community appreciation. People now wave and smile and folk they have probably never spoken to. Something beyond just applauding the NHS and care workers is going on and it is quite moving to witness.

Maybe the government could show the NHS their appreciation through a special pay award to all front line staff whole thing this is ongoing. I'd be happy to pay more tax to contribute

Good to see the private sector pulling together to provide PPE though.

Don't know about anyone else but in my street (in Wigmore) last nights applause was the best yet. Two weeks ago a few were out. I clapped because I know neighbours with family in Guildford and Medway NHS.
But it has grown. Even the miserable git 3 doors up was out and joining in the community appreciation. People now wave and smile and folk they have probably never spoken to. Something beyond just applauding the NHS and care workers is going on and it is quite moving to witness.
Someone put a sign up in our flat's entrance hall the other day, encouraging support. The turnout was excellent with just about every balcony occupied (about 30 flats at the front of the building) Was a nice social event too as we stayed outside and chatted for about half an hour afterwards.

I see on Friday that a woman was named and shamed on Facebook for not coming out to clap when the rest of the street did! Her poorly son was more important! I personally dont see the point of going out and clapping! Regardless of how much I admire the NHS dont see it makes a difference! (Waits for the abuse)

I see on Friday that a woman was named and shamed on Facebook for not coming out to clap when the rest of the street did! Her poorly son was more important! I personally dont see the point of going out and clapping! Regardless of how much I admire the NHS dont see it makes a difference! (Waits for the abuse)
Bit dramatic. The first few posts in the thread were from people who didn’t see the point in clapping. While many have disagreed I can’t see that anyone has received abuse.

You may not realise how many neighbours in your street work in, or have family members/freinds working on, the Covid19 frontline. Families who are shit scared everytime their loved ones leave the house to put themselves in harms way to protect OUR loved ones.
I have immediate neighbours whose son just qualified as a junior doctor and was put straight on the ventilator ward. Another who is a theatre nurse at Medway and is going in despite having some underlying issues.
So when I go out and clap and whistle every Thursday at 8pm, yes it is for the NHS and the carers etc but just as much it is for the families of those people, to show we don't take it all for granted and we support them as well.

Don't forget the hidden frontline staff like cleaners and porters who are in the ICU wards without the full PPE that nurses and doctors get.

Happy to include them. I am just excluding any "office staff" who have not been exposed to the risk directly.

Living on a main road I see 5-6 ambulances screaming down the road every day now I am working from home. No doubt the vast majority with a COVID-19 patient inside. I was quite surprised to read how many had actually died in Medway. Higher than I had realised.

Happy to include them. I am just excluding any "office staff" who have not been exposed to the risk directly.

Living on a main road I see 5-6 ambulances screaming down the road every day now I am working from home. No doubt the vast majority with a COVID-19 patient inside. I was quite surprised to read how many had actually died in Medway. Higher than I had realised.

The higher death rates in those areas is to be expected in the most crowded less affluent and immigrant populations. In any epidemic or war the less well off and those tightly packed into areas whilst carrying out the more frontline jobs die in the most numbers.