Clapping | Page 2 | Vital Football

Clapping

What Captain said.
There are some miserable bastards on here sometimes.
We all agree, I would hope, that the NHS is under staffed, under funded etc.
This was nothing to do with that and nothing to do with government or politics, whatever your political leaning.
It was a statement of thanks by ordinary people up and down the country.
If you don’t want to join in then that’s fine but to mock it and politicise it is really very sad.

The same fucking folk who engaged in panic buying and deprived NHS workers when they got off shift to find empty shelves; the same fucking folk who queued at supermarkets with their kids to stuff trolleys - they weren't two metres apart - and one infected person could easily pass on germs to two and a half people that in a week could be 400 or so and the same fucking folk who invaded parks and beaches and organised cycle races. And any of them dare to salute the NHS when their actions could lead to the deaths of some including NHS workers. We have every right to sound nasty because of those selfish bastards who jump on the clapping bandwagon.
Wait, I’m confused. So are the panic buyers the heartless people who wouldn’t clap, instead cringe at any form of partisan audience participation by those who should know better? Or the sensitive ‘pray for x, that’ll solve everything’ bunch who clapped?

I’m no good at this ‘sweeping generalisation based on your own beliefs and malarkey.;)

Wait, I’m confused. So are the panic buyers the heartless people who wouldn’t clap, instead cringe at any form of partisan audience participation by those who should know better? Or the sensitive ‘pray for x, that’ll solve everything’ bunch who clapped?

I’m no good at this ‘sweeping generalisation based on your own beliefs and malarkey.;)
The panic buyers made it impossible for NHS staff to buy stuff often working long shifts. The panic buyers queued and most likely infected others - all unnecessary.

It's not about lack of equipment , or your hatred of Boris/Tories/Trump.
It's about normal folk showing solidarity.
Some of you are sounding nasty .

Well sir, I regularly disagree with you on this forum but here I 100% agree. Surprisingly small minded of some people too embarrassed or miserable to clap the NHS and support workers in my opinion. Yes they will always need more govt. finance and employment but last night was not about that. The clapping was a). To support and uplift the spirits of the decimated staff of the NHS and beyond who are our heroic front line in trying to save the lives of our many loved ones. B) To allow those of us locked in isolation a brief moment to come out and share our own uplifting community moment with the very old and very young all joining in to show gratitude.

Well sir, I regularly disagree with you on this forum but here I 100% agree. Surprisingly small minded of some people too embarrassed or miserable to clap the NHS and support workers in my opinion. Yes they will always need more govt. finance and employment but last night was not about that. The clapping was a). To support and uplift the spirits of the decimated staff of the NHS and beyond who are our heroic front line in trying to save the lives of our many loved ones. B) To allow those of us locked in isolation a brief moment to come out and share our own uplifting community moment with the very old and very young all joining in to show gratitude.
I'm not against clapping at all just the hypocrisy of those who were panic buying and those still ignoring requests to stay in doors and only exercise nearby

My contact (in emergency services) doesn't want to be clapped, she wants the safety equpment to do her job.

I'm not against clapping and it's a nice gesture and I'm glad it raises the morale of some. My point, deliberately put in a provocative way (to stimulate debate), is that it is rather futile, as was the gushing stuff after Lady Di was killed only for the media and population to return to their old ways.

I expect many decent people clapped and are genuinely pro our emergency services. As Wayne said, there will also be those that have wantonly made NHS jobs more precarious and made themselves feel good by a bit of clapping. It's those that I was really aiming at.

Beep beep beep, 58 reversing.

Your OP was doing anything but expressing your views you've now expressed in #31.

The two front line nhs workers I know very much appreciated the sentiment of the country clapping (except miserable fuckers like you) and showing their appreciation given that as you say some are still doing it despite not having the PPE they should have, therefore putting themselves at even greater risk.

The fact that they continue to do their very best in more trying times than normal in the nhs has got my respect and thanks.

Your OP was doing anything but expressing your views you've now expressed in #31.

The two front line nhs workers I know very much appreciated the sentiment of the country clapping (except miserable fuckers like you) and showing their appreciation given that as you say some are still doing it despite not having the PPE they should have, therefore putting themselves at even greater risk.

The fact that they continue to do their very best in more trying times than normal in the nhs has got my respect and thanks.
Well said mate 👍

This crisis, like many before, has shown us there are many decent people around, as well as the thick arseholes. Thankfully the decent people still greatly outnumber the thick arseholes. I do worry that the gap is reducing though.

So not one of you in this series of utterly pointless exchanges manages to touch on the real issue -clapping everything is Yank. Oh England my England! What has become of you?

So not one of you in this series of utterly pointless exchanges manages to touch on the real issue -clapping everything is Yank. Oh England my England! What has become of you?

Thing is clapping is easier for spread out crowds , being uncoordinated in nature.
I'm confident , with adequate choreography , us Brits would prefer 3 cheers for the NHS , hip hip ....
🇬🇧

Yank and continental. I expect us to be kissing one another on both cheeks when all this is over, talking in a more animated way and waving our arms about. Get emotional and carry on folks. Did you notice that Johnson addressed us as folks?

Was in my mind. I also dont want to be shamed into ‘stand up, stand up for gillingham - or anything else’ lol.

Attended a 4000 person international conference on manufacturing in Nashville in the seventies. It started with the usa national anthem booming out wtf totally inappropriate for this type of event . Think only myself and a colleague (reserve us marine marksman instructor) remained sitting. F happy clappy yanks. Clapping should be reserved for gills goals lol.

It was nothing but a nice gesture, which many participated in where I live (myself included). But it will have bugger all effect in protecting the NHS staff. Supporting getting protective gear and a better standard of living for the NHS staff would be a much better idea, but that would be a more difficult proposition.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people who took part in this support, did so to feel good about themselves and take part in the latest "fad". I wonder how many (who are capable) have offered their services as volunteers to support the NHS or will be bitterly complaining next year (hopefully) when their taxes as massively increased to recover the money the Government is having to pay out to try and keep us safe?

I might have missed something here but here are a few points based on what I've read here.
1. I haven't bulk bought a thing or queued to get into a supermarket (in fact, I turned my car around yesterday, my first day off in two weeks, when I saw the queue at Tesco as I thought my desire to not catch the virus was greater than my desire to buy the few bits I need) BUT, I went out into my balcony last night to show appreciation for the heroic effort being put in by these angels.
2. The argument of "don't waste time clapping, supply them with the right kit" doesn't apply as I am not a supplier of medical equipment. Clapping is all I've got but if those of you suggesting otherwise have access to such equipment, crack on and get it down to your local hospital.
3. The claim that this was a state dictated show of gratitude is nonsense, as far as I'm aware, it was started by one of the national radio stations (but will stand corrected if you can post the piece of government propaganda where it originated)

I know three nurses who have all either posted on social media or told me in person that it was a massive boost to moral. Perhaps next time we win a play off final we best not put on an open top his parade or no one will turn up as clapping us such a cliche.

There will be a time for some to feel angry, but now probably isn`t the right time. Anything we can do to lift our community spirit is a good thing and surely that includes giving our under-pressure NHS workers a boost with a co-ordinated message of support - if that`s in the form of collective applause then surely that`s a good thing.

People won`t forget issues around poor provisioning but that`s a matter for the future.

In the meantime, and talking of community spirit, isn`t it heartening that Off-licences are now on the list of essential businesses ? Cheers to them !

I'm happy to accept that if it makes the workers feel better then that's nice.

Far, far more important is how they are normally treated and equipped. Clapping won't solve that.

Let's see how they are treated a few years down the line. I honestly hope I'm wrong, especially as I literally have "skin in the game" so as to speak.

I suspect there are some (just some) on here who have jumped on my comments who have happily gone along with how the emergency services have been treated for years.

My first post was deliberately provocative, hence my "ducks for cover" comment.