City's Unsung Heroes | Vital Football

City's Unsung Heroes

Skoorb

Alert Team
Football is full of superstars. The players that stand out from the crowd with their goalscoring prowess, their audacious skills, their breathtaking talent or simply their irrepressible personality.

City have had their fair share of each over the years. Sergio Aguero; David Silva; Colin Bell; Rodney Marsh; Georgia Kinkladze; Mario Balotelli; Yaya Toure....

But for every 'artist' there have been equally many 'water carriers' without whom the ability of the former to paint their 'canvas' would be seriously blunted.

In the few weeks before the new football season commences let's take some time to raid our memory banks to recall some of these unsung heroes. Those players whose selfless work rate often goes under the radar or passes without notice.

Jot your thoughts below recalling these individuals, why they made a lasting impression on you and your memories of their contribution over time or in a specific match.....

Last edited:
I am thinking that there have been a number of unsung heroes in my life as a City fan

Harry Dowd was my first hero, they replaced him with Ken Mulhearn, but he was in the side that won the FA Cup and for me he was good but not great and you could rely on him at every game.

also in that early period Dave Connor, I remember him as a player the boss went to when wanted a man marked in the game and he did it brilliantly.

In terms of two specific moments in recent history I am nominating.....

>> Kevin Horlock for his superbly taken goal in the 89th minute of the play off final v Gillingham in 1999. Without that goal the final recovery in that match and a that followed might never have happened....

Horlock had been a stalwart that season and contributed much from midfield. Understated and not high profile he delivered big time that day.

>> Edin Dzeko for his well taken headed equaliser against QPR in 2012. Again..... without that goal the dramatic ending served up by Sergio Aguero could not have materialised, the title might have gone to JoMU and the damage to the club's 'trajectory' could have been set back by several years.

Edin didn't have the greatest start to his City career - arriving in the January transfer window is rarely ideal - but he kept plugging away and his goals played a major part in the delivery of success to the club.

From the Mercer/Allison years I always have a soft spot for Alan Oakes. Again - unspectacular but a solid player and fantastic club servant. :clap:

From the Mercer/Allison years I always have a soft spot for Alan Oakes. Again - unspectacular but a solid player and fantastic club servant. :clap:
I could not agree more about Oaksey as far as edin goes they hardly ever played to is strengths and then only when they were desperate and 99/100 he would score for you

Freddie Hill, we bought him from Bolton I think and he was the KDB of his day he could pass a ball like no-one else (we got him too late as many players in those days)

Brian Kidd played 3 seasons for us 98 appearances 44 goals a great return, I was sorry that we sold him a prolific goal getter