City Retain The League Cup! - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax | Vital Football

City Retain The League Cup! - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax

Johnny Baguette

Alert Team
City Deny Sarri Travesty With Requisite Composure

Johnny On The Spot: #ATTRITIONAL. History making Manchester City have retained the League Cup, overcoming a desperately disappointing Chelsea at Wembley.

Chelsea were set up from the first whistle in an extraordinarily defensive mode for a cup final considering the talents at nut job Maurizio Sarri’s disposal. They had clearly arrived at Wembley looking to realise a smash ‘n’ grab. The first half fizzled out in a game of cagey cat and mouse, full of stray passes, City dominant with all the intent and Chelsea the non-ambition.

The pattern continued into the second period of normal time, City’s efficiency in the final third continually missing as the Londoners continued to stifle the play. Around the hour mark, suddenly, Eden Hazard, a bystander previously, began to come alive into his trademark unplayable mode. City’s defence, shorn of the injured Aymeric Laporte shipped warning shots but continued to defend high up the pitch. Chelsea were beginning to sense that the robbery was on and despite a tight VAR offside decision ruling out an Aguero goal, they began to pour forward behind their talisman. Sarri sending on attacking players off the back of their resurgence. For our part, the cup holders persisted with their ever present threat but City’s counter attacks were either scythed down hopelessly unpunished by the huffing and puffing Jonathan Moss or came to nothing.

As the final edged into its closing stages, we found ourselves entrenched in a next goal wins it scenario with Chelsea looking the more likely. It was a frantic, disjointed, untidy and edgy spectacle littered with robust tackles, some downright filthy by Chelsea. Both managers rang the changes in a bid to reassert control. The scattergun refereeing prevailed and having seen Kevin De Bruyne struggle for rhythm into a substitution, Fernandinho trudged off in the final moments of 94 gruelling minutes clutching an injured groin shortly before the final whistle. A devastating loss at the business end of City’s multiple campaigns.

A solitary City shot had been the only one on target by both sides across the entire demoralising encounter. Chelsea had executed Sarri’s game plan to the letter breaking up play any way they could, their frequent turf plummeting clocking up 19 City fouls inside normal time called by the lame Moss who struggled to keep up with play throughout.

Pep wasted not a second in animatedly calling his men into a pre-extra time huddle. Thereafter, the fouls, the loose balls, the scrappiness and the teeth pulling tension continued, the first half of extra time registering more woeful finishing and no further shots on target. Despite the attrition, City’s 33,000 fans still roared their weary looking men on splendidly. A demented scramble broke loose in Chelsea’s penalty box, but the ball just would not go in. The second period of the extension descended into further chaos with Moss symbolically slipping into a fall himself. Chelsea, unable to trouble Ederson throughout this ordeal of a contest were indebted to their own guardian Kepa who kept the predatory Aguero at bay.

Thereafter, incredible scenes descended upon a dreadful cup final wherein an incandescent Sarri and a petulant Kepa clashed in unseemly fashion as the goalkeeper, apparently injured, refused to be substituted in favour of ex City penalty hero Willy Caballero. Going mental, Sarri, at one stage stormed down the tunnel in protest at Kepa’s insubordination. He had been humiliated by player power, his leadership in a shambles, his reputation utterly tarnished.

And so it came to pass, penalties. This time around City’s heroes were Ederson and Raz Sterling. A travesty had been denied and Manchester’s Blues had secured the League Cup for a fourth time in six seasons and a title is retained for the first time in our club's long history.

JB’s Man of The Match: Bernardo Silva. With bodies falling all around him, he held City’s midfield together. Running and running for the cause.

https://manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/city-deny-sarri-travesty-with-requisite-composure/

Last edited:
Ilkay Gundogan, speaking to Sky Sports:
"It feels great to be honest, I think to win the trophy back to back is always more difficult than winning it the first time.

"Chelsea played well and made it tough for us. It was such an open game.

"We knew that after the result a couple of weeks ago this match would be tougher and more difficult to play against them. They wanted revenge.

"We are just pleased to be able to win it again. It is a special feeling."

Can City go on to win the quadruple? "We had same conversation a year ago and we just try to win as many as possible."

Raheem Sterling, who scored the winning penalty:
"It's a great feeling. I'm home, I'm at Wembley, in my city... it was a tough game but an amazing feeling.

"Pep said he didn't watch it - he said where did it go? I just told him 'top bins'.

"Chelsea played a really good game today, they were solid, it was difficult to break them down but we kept focus and did the business.

"It's one trophy down and now we just need to keep winning games."

I was disappointed with Chelsea I expected them to come out to make a game of this but, they defended deep and defended well, as did wee because the stats will show they did not have a shot on target.

We have now retained a Title for the first time ever COME ON CITY!!!!!!

'Kepa should be sacked'
b49ccce5-5474-45b3-af9e-fddb2865fb56.jpg

Chris Sutton
Ex-Chelsea striker on BBC Radio 5 live

Kepa should never play for Chelsea again. that should be his last performance in a Chelsea shirt. He's a disgrace. I've never seen anything like it.

if I was Sarri I would walk. You cannot be undermined. Why weren't the players dragging Kepa off anyway?

Kepa should be sacked, not Sarri.

'Kepa should be sacked'

Chris Sutton

Kepa should never play for Chelsea again. that should be his last performance in a Chelsea shirt. He's a disgrace. I've never seen anything like it.

if I was Sarri I would walk. You cannot be undermined. Why weren't the players dragging Kepa off anyway?

Kepa just disrespected and embarrassed Sarri in public and if Sarri is still in a job tomorrow, then Kepa may well be sleeping with the fishes (I think Willy might be in goal next time Chelsea play)

Everyone’s saying it’s never happened before. No doubt they’ll be digging around to see if it’s true. Amazing.

Vincent Kompany on Sky Sports: "It is a difficult trophy to win, everyone is involved from the young guys at the start to now. Everyone is involved.
"I am always ready to play, I haven't trained much but I am so happy to achieve these things with this wonderful club.

"I know how good Willy Caballeo is on penalties, last time we won it he won it for us so I didn't want him to come on! It didn't happen in the end.

"Of course I have never seen it, I wish I could do it whenever I get subbed."

One down, three to go.

Who on earth would want to manage that disorderly shower of losers.

Nice penalty from RS7.

Hope F25 and Laporte are ok.

'Kepa should be sacked'

Chris Sutton

That is one of the most bizzare things I've ever seen. He should write a book on how to flush your career down the bog.