City Ground | Page 31 | Vital Football

City Ground

So basically a tiny little stand in the corner that looks a dogs dinner? Not sure how they would help us drive up corporate revenue.
I didnt suggest that it is done, i have merely suggested that it could be done. Personally i wouldn't bother. A new main stand would do just fine.

The powers that be see rental revenue is higher than corporate revenue. Will corporate revenue return? Will webinars and distance events mean less corporate events?
A very good point. How much revenue do corporate events raise anyway? Oh and retail is dying.

A very good point. How much revenue do corporate events raise anyway? Oh and retail is dying.

Let's call it commercial revenue, so that includes retail.

Leeds earned roughly 24m from commercial revenue, they're a bigger club with a bigger stadium for sure but in the same time period we earned 6m. That's 400% more, or in other words 3 extra 5m players per season.

Derby a club we should be matching doubled ours. A 6m difference isn't chump change.

And that's from a really low base, English clubs for too long have readily relied upon matchday and TV. Take a club like Bayern, they earn more from commercial revenue than both matchday and TV put together - and that includes champions league.

Let's call it commercial revenue, so that includes retail.

Leeds earned roughly 24m from commercial revenue, they're a bigger club with a bigger stadium for sure but in the same time period we earned 6m. That's 400% more, or in other words 3 extra 5m players per season.

Derby a club we should be matching doubled ours. A 6m difference isn't chump change.

And that's from a really low base, English clubs for too long have readily relied upon matchday and TV. Take a club like Bayern, they earn more from commercial revenue than both matchday and TV put together - and that includes champions league.
Are those figures turn over or profit? Oh and i just don't believe them.

That'll be tricky as the Trent End is not a cantilever.
A cantilever wasn't possible due to the proximity to the river (this is why there is that lattice support around the front).
Can I ask, what lattice support on the front are you talking about?

The red structure which goes all around, when viewing from the pitch.
This replaces the internal columns (main stand) or the cantilever as the BC stand is.
You mean this red thing?

P1050463.JPG.jpg
Is that really what its for?

I never really thought about it. Just assumed it was cosmetic or something. You learn something new every day.

So what is a cantelever then? What difference does the river make? I knew most new stands tend to be cantelever, but what does it mean?

Apologies for the remedial questions. I am merely a mediocre, cowardly teacher

You mean this red thing?

View attachment 46519

I never really thought about it. Just assumed it was cosmetic or something. You learn something new every day.

So what is a cantelever then? What difference does the river make? I knew most new stands tend to be cantelever, but what does it mean?

That’s the one. A cantilever needs much more space behind to support the structure in front of it than is available on the riverbank.
You actually walk underneath where the cantilever structure would be.
All the mass is supported by the lattice work up front.

This is well out of my wheelhouse so apologies for errors but a cantilever is basically that the load is carried on the overhang.

This is well out of my wheelhouse so apologies for errors but a cantilever is basically that the load is carried on the overhang.

A cantilever is supported from the back, the simplest form to visualise is a balcony. All the support for the structure is taken up at the rear, in the balcony example it’s the main building with the cantilever beams supported within that. Stands are the same principle, the roof structure is supported by the rear.

I suspect that most of us on here support the present site, that's what we're all used to and it's engraved in our memory banks but there's a lot to be said for a new stadium built in a better position and probably able to give the club a better turnover which in turn will enable us to spend more on a better team possibly in the Premier League.
It's not going to bother coming generations in any case.

You mean this red thing?

View attachment 46519

So you can tell the roof construction merely by looking up when in the ground.

The City Ground is quite cool for geeky Engineers like me, in the fact it has the three main roof construction types; the old skool (Peter Taylor) one which uses columns that are arguably the most secure method, but have the disadvantage of obstructing the view of anybody sitting behind them. Then you have the cantilever (Brian Clough and Bridgeford), which is given away by looking up and seeing huge supporting beams (trusses) projecting forward from the rear, these support the roof and have the distinct advantage of offering unobscured views, being aesthetically pleasing and offering architectural freedom to make them look impressive, the trusses can easily be erected to go round 90 degrees, for example.
Then we have the external support, which the TE is; whereby the roof is effectively attached to the red lattice structure at the front to hold it up. You will observe, if you again look up at the TE roof construction, there are no huge trusses from the back to support the roof. This was designed like this because of the load bear at the rear, to support trusses for a cantilever was not possible, due to the proximity to the river, it would also effectively stopped pedestrians from walking between Trent Bridge to Lady Bay Bridge along the south bank.

This is why I cannot see a way of blending the new Main Stand into the Trent End, as the dissimilar constructions would not permit it.

Last edited:
Very nice piece and accurate. The two gaps as i have said could be filled as both could use a cantilever design and both be freestanding, however i personaly dont think it would be worth doing just to provide extra seats. One corner ( if the plans are not ammended) will be partialy filled with the new champions club anyway and the other? well if required its available for the same sort of thing on the other side of the ground.