City Ground | Page 19 | Vital Football

City Ground

This thread has had 25000 views and whats the average attendance at the City Ground this season? Bit of a sweeping statement if you dont mind me saying so.

I'm talking about you continually blathering on about the planning process while the world is burning. Nero had nothing on you.

Its not as complicated as that. Planning is an open process, all the details are out there. There are statutory time scales and the ways they can be extended are again statutory. It all ends in a decision one way or the other with the local authority planning committee. If the applicant feels that delays to the statutory periods are unreasonable they can say so and go to appeal ( a long messy and expensive process).

Sometimes it happens that Councils just don't/ can't determine the application in time. They can ask for a second extension of time but if this request is declined by the applicant (because they feel the council have had long enough) then it comes down to the applicant deciding when the right time is to appeal against non determination. Having said that, Rushcliffe are one of the better planning depts. Derby City are a complete nightmare and can struggle to determine even a relatively modest application within the statutory period.

It doesn’t look like EM is losing interest in his football portfolio. French press claiming that he has signed a letter of intent which allows him to audit the Troyes FC clubs books. Apparently he is wanting to buy for E8m to E10m. Could be a nice move for some of the young players to gain experience. Also try out some French/ Belgian/German players.

The continued Coronavirus situation means building work wont now start this year even if the plans were rubber stamped tomorrow, so unfortunately its not something to stress over.

The planning process/application is no longer on the critical path of this project, so lets accept it and hope that when approval is received, the club can get some of the peripheral work scheduled early so that ultimately when the new stand is built- hopefully next summer- it can be completed in double quick time.

However, without wishing to offend those who work in the public sector, I do share the frustration of some posters with the apparent tardiness of the planning process, because from where I sit, admittedly from afar, there should have been ample time to reach a decision before covid19 struck (and arguably since then, given video conferencing facilities etc).

Given that the project is supported by the local MP, and much of the groundwork to raise the idea was undertaken by ND several years ago, it's hardly a new concept; and I do wonder whether the delay is because of the need to consider all fair and tangible issues, internal or external political motivations or simply sheer inability or incompetence.

Only the first reason is acceptable in my book and I'd be interested in any posts with more actual insight into the ability or motivation of the decision makers, whether supportive of them or pure conspiracy theory.

Last edited:
The continued Coronavirus situation means building work wont now start this year even if the plans were rubber stamped tomorrow, so unfortunately its not something to stress over.

The planning process/application is no longer on the critical path of this project, so lets accept it and hope that when approval is received, the club can get some of the peripheral work scheduled early so that ultimately when the new stand is built- hopefully next summer- it can be completed in double quick time.

However, without wishing to offend those who work in the public sector, I do share the frustration of some posters with the apparent tardiness of the planning process, because from where I sit, admittedly from afar, there should have been ample time to reach a decision before covid19 struck (and arguably since then, given video conferencing facilities etc).

Given that the project is supported by the local MP, and much of the groundwork to raise the idea was undertaken by ND several years ago, it's hardly a new concept; and I do wonder whether the delay is because of the need to consider all fair and tangible issues, internal or external political motivations or simply sheer inability or incompetence.

Only the first reason is acceptable in my book and I'd be interested in any posts with more actual insight into the ability or motivation of the decision makers, whether supportive of them or pure conspiracy theory.
I cant defend them. The second extension runs out tomorrow with no sign ( on the web portal anyway) of a committee meeting being set up or agreement sought with the club for a further extension of time. This may be because shortage of staff has meant that the website hasn't been updated which if so is fair enough. A regular meeting of the planning committee was scheduled for the 9th April, perhaps its on the agenda,? that should in normal times be published 7 days before.

I suspect the problem is that most of these types of decision makers anywhere in the world are bent. You would have hoped that the MPs being on-board would have helped alleviate this to a degree as perhaps they could have used their power and influence to intimidate, but perhaps they're not THAT much on board.

Also you would have thought that someone of EM's reputation would have been very quick to pay a bung once he could see things were not happening but I guess that's not the case.

Perhaps EM's reputation even hindered him to the extent that those with decision making power even expected a bung.

As far as I can see todays scheduled meeting of Rushcliffe Borough Councils planning committee is going ahead. The planning application from the club is not on the published agenda.