City fans today | Vital Football

City fans today

To be fair for majority of them their point of reference is premiership which we all know is so full of corporate that they lack the integrity to cheer a goal

To be fair for majority of them their point of reference is premiership which we all know is so full of corporate that they lack the integrity to cheer a goal
Yes, although I have to say Sunderland are different. Every Sunderland fan I have ever met has been fanatical. At the time we played them in the FA Cup, my then boss was a big Sunderland fan - he actually refused to attend business functions at St James' Park because he refused to give Newcastle a penny of his money. I gave him my programme from the cup game and he reacted as if I had just given him the keys to the universe. Anything to do with his beloved club was a treasure.

Yes, although I have to say Sunderland are different. Every Sunderland fan I have ever met has been fanatical. At the time we played them in the FA Cup, my then boss was a big Sunderland fan - he actually refused to attend business functions at St James' Park because he refused to give Newcastle a penny of his money. I gave him my programme from the cup game and he reacted as if I had just given him the keys to the universe. Anything to do with his beloved club was a treasure.

Yes that was praise indeed for us from some of the most fanatical supporters in the country. I would exempt Sunderland fans from all that Premier league nonsense. It is a real hotbed up there.

You should have seen their fans today,plenty arriving into the ground at 15.20,barely broke into song during the 90 and heading for the exits at 0-2 down.
I expected better of them but their team was even worse and that manager Ross couldn`t get a tune out of a tin whistle let alone 11 players.
If we had won 4-0 it would have been a fair score.
I fear that Ross will be checking his contract this evening checking on the departure clauses....he needs to pack his suitcases.

The Sunderland fans weren’t up for it today and are clearly not behind their team. Very large numbers left the pubs too late to get inside the ground in time for kick off. When they did get in the majority stood quietly suffering while their team was outplayed. Big contrast with the reaction of Imps fans while Oxford were stuffing us two weeks ago.

There is now a whole new thread on their forum about us taking the mickey out of them

I hope Michael Appleton enjoyed today- we were on it from the kick off and, more and more, the rest of the Coop is joining in. The noise was great today- we are good most games but today we upped it for the big boys from the North East.

Quite a few of their fans have mentioned it and you could see how much Morrell enjoyed it at the end of the game.

We have good players- we now have a good manager again. I believe we have stabilised the ship and are on course again.

I hope the Posh trip next week takes off now- we are the 12th man (or woman!)

From ReadyToGo forum

“The decider for me was the missed penalty. They were galvanised by it when it should have been us and a lot of that was down to their fans. That whole side stand seemed to be swaying.
If it had been the other way around the pen miss would have seen us crumble”

I think its safe to say their fans are not very happy ! Knew most of the words but never in the order they put them ! What would they have been like if they saw them stuffed 0-6 at home, self combust.

“Two years ago we were PL and them non league. I can’t tell you how disgusted I am tonight. Worst moment in 43 years following the lads”.

Just checked their thread about us. Jeez there is a couple of mardy buggers on there. Getting beat, boo hoo, somebody taking the piss, baaaaaaa!. Yes we were no league a couple of years ago but with different players!.
But then you get those posters who are obviously proper football fans and acknowledge that we were up for it today, not I think because it was the 'mighty' Black Cats ( wet moggies more like), but we had a new manager and we had something to prove after Oxford.

Last edited:
What I do find mildly amusing is the Sunderland fans who seem to think it was a show put on for our cup final against their big club. I wonder what they would have made of the better and more passionate atmosphere when we were losing six nil at home against little club Oxford. I thought we went through the motions atmosphere wise today for the last 15 tbh having done the passionate bit earlier in the game when our team needed a lift.

You should have seen their fans today,plenty arriving into the ground at 15.20,barely broke into song during the 90 and heading for the exits at 0-2 down.
I expected better of them but their team was even worse and that manager Ross couldn`t get a tune out of a tin whistle let alone 11 players.
If we had won 4-0 it would have been a fair score.
I fear that Ross will be checking his contract this evening checking on the departure clauses....he needs to pack his suitcases.
Were their fans late in because they turned up late or because we couldn't handle the volumes? Remember there was a game last season where we couldn't handle the number of away fans and they weren't getting in until 10-15 minutes had gone.

Vale 2 seasons ago I think this happened as well?

Just checked their thread about us. Jeez there is a couple of mardy buggers on there. Getting beat, boo hoo, somebody taking the piss, baaaaaaa!. Yes we were no league a couple of years ago but with different players!.
But then you get those posters who are obviously proper football fans and acknowledge that we were up for it today, not I think because it was the 'mighty' Black Cats ( wet tongues more like), but we had a new manager and we had something to prove after Oxford.
Some of their posters have let themselves down with their childish comments but to be fair the more sensible ones have called them out and given the Imps due credit.

Were their fans late in because they turned up late or because we couldn't handle the volumes? Remember there was a game last season where we couldn't handle the number of away fans and they weren't getting in until 10-15 minutes had gone.

Vale 2 seasons ago I think this happened as well?
We’ve handled similar volumes many times with no problems eg Everton recently. I suspect many Mackems were happier in the pub than in the ground. No doubt many stayed for an extra pint.

We’ve handled similar volumes many times with no problems eg Everton recently. I suspect many Mackems were happier in the pub than in the ground. No doubt many stayed for an extra pint.

Didn't go round that side of the ground but someone said the police had a cordoned off area before the turnstiles and had sniffer dogs checking each person which would of contributed to the large queues and explain why many fans were late into the stadium.