City Banned from CL | Vital Football

City Banned from CL

• Thread starter Removed at own request
  • Start date
So does this mean that England retain 4 CL places in CL and 5th place now qualifies? That surely puts a massive twist on this season impacting ourselves.

If CL generates £50-60m a year then the impact to City is £100-120m loss of earnings from CL over 2 years plus the £25m fine on top.

Furthermore, once 1st July passes then CAS can't really reduce the CL ban to fines as another club would have started to commit significant transfer fees based on anticipated CL revenues. That could be us as an example.

This is absolutely massive for football. I just hope UEFA have a watertight case legally. If they're flexing their muscles in this way and haven't, it could end in tears.

what a stink. now they go to CAS and the High Courts to defend their honor.

it's cheating and we even got past them in the Champions League with them having bought players, or keeping players on salaries, that they would not have had, were it not for cheating.

the results of the courts are irrelevant too, courts cheat when they want to. good it's finally come out in the open properly.

This is what happens when rich owners throw money at a football club to win glory on the field and silver ware on a whim with no financial sustainability. Now who is it amongst us that wants this route to titles ?

I'm still a little on the fence with this one because ultimately there is an owner that is passionate about his football club and there is a set of fans (and neutrals) that are strongly benefitting from his generosity. It's a pretty big assumption to assume there is no financial stability there because a Sheikh's money is being diverted through his company into City's coffers. If there is an issue, a non-football one, it is more about false accounting. Ultimately FFP has best intent and Sheikh Mansour has best intent.

When Dave Whelan lost £100m of his own money to keep a bunch of fans happy for a long time, nobody batted an eyelid. He even said himself he couldn't think of a better way of spending that money than to the club he loves. By putting his money in, he kept Wigan in higher echelons. He artificially inflated gate receipts, shirt sales etc at his own personal loss. That was his business model, so perhaps we should remove the statue and remove his freedom of Wigan :-)

Are we really saying that guys like Abramovich and Mansour have to now take a decade or more to achieve the organic growth in their revenue lines to win things for their fans when they have the money sitting in their bank account? They seem willing to put it into the football industry at their own loss but FFP won't let them?

Perhaps I'm not fully understanding it though.

I'm still a little on the fence with this one because ultimately there is an owner that is passionate about his football club and there is a set of fans (and neutrals) that are strongly benefitting from his generosity. It's a pretty big assumption to assume there is no financial stability there because a Sheikh's money is being diverted through his company into City's coffers. If there is an issue, a non-football one, it is more about false accounting. Ultimately FFP has best intent and Sheikh Mansour has best intent.

When Dave Whelan lost £100m of his own money to keep a bunch of fans happy for a long time, nobody batted an eyelid. He even said himself he couldn't think of a better way of spending that money than to the club he loves. By putting his money in, he kept Wigan in higher echelons. He artificially inflated gate receipts, shirt sales etc at his own personal loss. That was his business model, so perhaps we should remove the statue and remove his freedom of Wigan :-)

Are we really saying that guys like Abramovich and Mansour have to now take a decade or more to achieve the organic growth in their revenue lines to win things for their fans when they have the money sitting in their bank account? They seem willing to put it into the football industry at their own loss but FFP won't let them?

Perhaps I'm not fully understanding it though.

Whelan and Mansour is false equivalence. First of all Wigan never achieved anything close to the dominance of city. Also he wasn’t sportswashing the image of a despotic regime. Not to mention the discrepancy between what’s actually been spent, and over different timeframes. Whelan was chairman for 20 years...

This is what happens when rich owners throw money at a football club to win glory on the field and silver ware on a whim with no financial sustainability. Now who is it amongst us that wants this route to titles ?

Me, Chelsea, United, City seem to have seem to have done ok

Leicester cheated to get out the champ.