City 2 Napoli 1 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate | Vital Football

City 2 Napoli 1 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate

Johnny Baguette

Alert Team
Manchester City FC 1894 2 - SSC Napoli 1 - Stats Link:

http://www.manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/stats.asp?a=586518

Stats © BBC Sport 2017. All Rights Reserved. The Ped Into Report by Pedmachine to follow

Chris Bevan

BBC Sport at Etihad Stadium

Job done, and Manchester City maintain their 100% start in Group F, but the second half tonight was a reminder that, after some recent spectacular results, they are not just going to have things their own way when they meet top-quality opposition this season.

Napoli adapted after being under the cosh for most of the first half and asked far more questions after the break than City posed at the other end.

For the first time this season the home fans at the Etihad were relieved when the final whistle went and when these sides meet next, at Stadium San Paolo on 1 November, it should be pretty tasty.

That's the first time I've seen us really tired, and it showed in our passing in the second half. We may need to rest more than a few.

Lost a bit of that ruthlessness tonight, I think the yellow cards to Walker and DeBruyne affected us, we couldn't press as effectively.

Interesting to see pragmatic Pep, taking his striker off for his utility man to see it out.

Bluedub - 17/10/2017 09:51

Lost a bit of that ruthlessness tonight, I think the yellow cards to Walker and DeBruyne affected us, we couldn't press as effectively.

Interesting to see pragmatic Pep, taking his striker off for his utility man to see it out.

The Champions League is definitely a different beast.

John Stones: "A lot of runners in behind. We knew they played patient football and had attacking threat. We knew it would be tough but we wanted to play our football. At times it was great to watch. I am upset to concede the goal we did but overall a great team performance.

"We have out ourselves in a good position. There are a lot of games to play still This was good test to see where we are at."

BamaEngineer - 17/10/2017 21:55

Bluedub - 17/10/2017 09:51

The Champions League is definitely a different beast.

They're a very good good side, one or two of ours not at their best tonight, even in that excellent opening half hour.

Delighted and relieved we saw it through.

Manchester City goalkeepers have now saved 6 of their last 7 penalties in the Champions League.

@City_Watch

Burnley:

Would start Danilo, Bernardo, The Dog, Kun and Yaya.

Bring Delph inside middle and rest Kev, Dave, Jesus, Leroy and Raz.

Hold back width on the bench.