Christmas F##### then | Page 3 | Vital Football

Christmas F##### then

It’s interesting and miserable to think that’s this world-beating ‘Medway Mutation’ has led to all of us ripping up our Christmas plans. I was hoping to get back to the parents (13 days after first getting symptoms) but now it looks like Turkey Dinosaurs for Christmas. The new strain is worrying though.

I see MoD releasing photos of soldiers under the Rainham End carrying out the ‘non-symptomatic Covid walk-in’ tests.

First time that Medway has been described as World Beating FFS

Happy Christmas, best wishes to you & your families x

Why don't the people making decisions take freedom into account. We should be allowed to make our own decisions on how we behave. Give us the facts and leave us to decide what we do, I am 72 by their judgment I am vulnerable. give me the right to make my own decisions. This risk averse government in my opinion has got it wrong less than 0.1% of the population has died, if you catch the virus you have a 99.9% chance or recovery. Let's get real and not let panic take over.

I don't doubt our government hasn't dealt with the Covid crisis well and am not one of those burying my head in the sand. Equally, I'm not one of those using it as a stick to beat the government as I have an long-running agenda against them. Most of Europe is all over the place at the moment due to Covid and locking down over Christmas - even the messiah of remainers, Merkel, seems to have got this one wrong and is coming under pressure; Macron is even less popular than Boris in his own country; Italy, Spain, Belgium, Poland and most of the rest of Eastern Europe have hugely increasing rates. So, what this boils down to is that this is a worldwide epedemic.

I also think that it is hugely important that the whole world does not forget where this pandemic started and who caused it and when this is all done, the whole world should be on China's doorstep with an bill for the havoc they have unleashed.

The lockdown should have come earlier and it should have come a lot harder. Sadly, a lot of people are just too stupid and/or selfish to do the right thing to stop its spread so asking then to do the right thing just doesn't work. They need the law laid down to them and for it to be enforced

bit like the Spanish flu that killed approx 50m only it came from the usa who knowingly sent ships laden with troops to europe even though many had the virus. Mind you they had also kept the info away from their own citizens.
maybe reparations are still due

The mutated virus is more contagious not more virulent. Mutated viruses tend to become less virulent & more contagious to survive.
This new strain could play a part in getting us out of this mess - assuming it's both more contagious and less deadly, which is the usual way viruses evolve, by speeding up immunity in a less harmful manner. Naturally over time this would become the dominant mutation. In a couple of months when the more vulnerable groups have been vaccinated and herd immunity has been reached (or is about to be reached) the virus will still be circulating, predominately amongst younger people for a while as the 'r' rate steadily falls

Why don't the people making decisions take freedom into account. We should be allowed to make our own decisions on how we behave. Give us the facts and leave us to decide what we do, I am 72 by their judgment I am vulnerable. give me the right to make my own decisions. This risk averse government in my opinion has got it wrong less than 0.1% of the population has died, if you catch the virus you have a 99.9% chance or recovery. Let's get real and not let panic take over.

Oooh. I’ll field this one. Short answer:
The vast majority of the UK public are thick-as-shit and incapable of making informed decisions. Their decision making is also skewed to their own personal situation rather than the situation of the public good.

Btw - you have calculated the COVID death rate by incorrectly dividing the number of COVID deaths by the total UK population to get 0.1%.

You should be dividing the total number of COVID deaths by the total number of cases. If you were to do that for the UK, you’ll get a figure closer to 3.3%.

And, if the stats are available, I strongly suspect you’ll find the the death rate for your age group is significantly higher than 3.3%.

A lot of people, like you, have been citing the 0.1% death rate because of some stupid claim in the Daily Mail that is now been discredited.

I see trains out of London to other parts of the UK were rammed last night, as people made an escape for Christmas. And people wonder why lower infected areas suddenly have a surge in cases!
I can verify that.
We have two separate sets of friends whose adult children are coming from London to stay over Xmas.
In one case, with their girlfriends .

I can verify that.
We have two separate sets of friends whose adult children are coming from London to stay over Xmas.
In one case, with their girlfriends .

The thing is, when it comes to travel, not much changed from tier 3 to tier 4. You still can't go from those tiers to somewhere outside of that tier... The five days didn't start until the 23rd anyway.

bit like the Spanish flu that killed approx 50m only it came from the usa who knowingly sent ships laden with troops to europe even though many had the virus. Mind you they had also kept the info away from their own citizens.
maybe reparations are still due

I’m more concerned about a killer virus in 2020 than a virus from over 100 years ago which spread to Europe because America sent 10s of thousands of troops over to be slaughtered in helping save mainland Europe from tyranny. Nice try at whataboutery, but not sure that directing the blame on America for something that happened over 100 years ago (presumably because you don’t like America?) gets China off of the hook for this one.

As well as starting, causing and spreading this virus, China’s economy is one of the few in the world that is booming and a lot of that is thanks to the virus and the huge increase in online ordering with half of the products originating in China. They’ve done very nicely out of this and must be made to pay when all’s said and done.

SteveTreacle - "because America sent 10s of thousands of troops over to be slaughtered in helping save mainland Europe from tyranny" think you've got the wrong war mate :cry:

Oooh. I’ll field this one. Short answer:
The vast majority of the UK public are thick-as-shit and incapable of making informed decisions. Their decision making is also skewed to their own personal situation rather than the situation of the public good.

Btw - you have calculated the COVID death rate by incorrectly dividing the number of COVID deaths by the total UK population to get 0.1%.

You should be dividing the total number of COVID deaths by the total number of cases. If you were to do that for the UK, you’ll get a figure closer to 3.3%.

And, if the stats are available, I strongly suspect you’ll find the the death rate for your age group is significantly higher than 3.3%.

A lot of people, like you, have been citing the 0.1% death rate because of some stupid claim in the Daily Mail that is now been discredited.

Spot on. It’s a shame to see with the virus spreading, more people dying and the prospects of this continuing that the covid denial still continues with some.

As you say, the main reason it is is because the vast stupidity and selfishness of many. You mention the example of the idiots cramming trains last night, there are many more.

- Bluewater, Westfield etc rammed with morons frivolously shopping.

- various Christmas markets and events continuing in Tier 3 zones as if nothing’s changed and being crammed with people. The market at Nottingham and the farce at Detling Hill being a closer example. Near to me, things like the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch railway have continued until today as if it’s a normal Christmas. What are the authorities doing allowing this in a Tier 3 area, why have the organisers put people’s lives at risk in carrying on and why are idiots flocking to them?

- The hysterical reactions we saw from sad-acts whose life it is to go to the gym when they were rightly shut during the lockdown. I think due to their childish, stupid, pathetic and hysterical reactions, gyms stayed open during Tier 3 and I daresay did their but to spread this mutation?

- My brother was at the coast yesterday (not in Cornwall, in tier 3 Kent) - quite why I don’t know - and told me that it was heaving and bars and restaurants were open and serving food and drink (including booze) but getting around the laws by serving it as takeaway, so people were buying their “takeaway” produce and then going to eat/drink it in benches nearby.

- And why even under Tier 4 are places of worship allowed to stay open and why would people risk going to do something so frivolous?

I love nothing more than spending time with my family at Christmas as well as going to the pub with mates for drinks and meals over an open fire (I probably enjoy doing that as much as meatheads at the gym enjoy getting sweaty and having a shower).

This year will be the first time in my 40 odd years that I haven’t spent it with my family. However, we took the decision some weeks ago that we wouldn’t be travelling to my parents, in laws and other family over Christmas. We had to have some heartfelt conversations with nans and granddads and aunts and uncles, who haven’t seen their grandkids nieces and nephews for months and just want to see them. Alas, as BoJo would say, it’s all for the best. The problem is most people are morons and selfish and won’t make sacrifices and if laws and guidance are put in, they do their best to push the limit, get around it or just ignore them. We should have borough in a long, harsh lockdown earlier and actually enforce it strongly - for that, I do criticise the government.

Last edited:
SteveTreacle - "because America sent 10s of thousands of troops over to be slaughtered in helping save mainland Europe from tyranny" think you've got the wrong war mate :cry:

So the Americans didn’t lose 10s thousand of troops in World War I? The Kaiser, Austro-Hungary and The Ottaman Empire weren’t tyrannical?

Regardless, doesn’t really change the point that pointing to that as a defence for China in 2020 is whataboutery of the highest order and not playing the card very well.

Spot on. It’s a shame to see with the virus spreading, more people dying and the prospects of this continuing that the covid denial still continues with some.

As you say, the main reason it is is because the vast stupidity and selfishness of many. You mention the example of the idiots cramming trains last night, there are many more.

- Bluewater, Westfield etc rammed with morons frivolously shopping.

- various Christmas markets and events continuing in Tier 3 zones as if nothing’s changed and being crammed with people. The market at Nottingham and the farce at Detling Hill being a closer example. Near to me, things like the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch railway have continued until today as if it’s a normal Christmas. What are the authorities doing allowing this in a Tier 3 area, why have the organisers put people’s lives at risk in carrying on and why are idiots flocking to them?

- The hysterical reactions we saw from sad-acts whose life it is to go to the gym when they were rightly shut during the lockdown. I think due to their childish, stupid, pathetic and hysterical reactions, gyms stayed open during Tier 3 and I daresay did their but to spread this mutation?

- My brother was at the coast yesterday (not in Cornwall, in tier 3 Kent) - quite why I don’t know - and told me that it was heaving and bars and restaurants were open and serving food and drink (including booze) but getting around the laws by serving it as takeaway, so people were buying their “takeaway” produce and then going to eat/drink it in benches nearby.

- And why even under Tier 4 are places of worship allowed to stay open and why would people risk going to do something so frivolous?

I love nothing more than spending time with my family at Christmas as well as going to the pub with mates for drinks and meals over an open fire (I probably enjoy doing that as much as meatheads at the gym enjoy getting sweaty and having a shower).

This year will be the first time in my 40 odd years that I haven’t spent it with my family. However, we took the decision some weeks ago that we wouldn’t be travelling to my parents, in laws and other family over Christmas. We had to have some heartfelt conversations with nans and granddads and aunts and uncles, who haven’t seen their grandkids nieces and nephews for months and just want to see them. Alas, as BoJo would say, it’s all for the best. The problem is most people are morons and selfish and won’t make sacrifices and if laws and guidance are put in, they do their best to push the limit, get around it or just ignore them. We should have borough in a long, harsh lockdown earlier and actually enforce it strongly - for that, I do criticise the government.
For once I'll say that at least Johnson hasn't given in to the nut jobs on the right of his party who oppose lockdowns. Meatheads like Steve Baker. These people think they know better than the scientists. Some say "scientists get it wrong sometimes". Well, yes, of course, but in these matters I'd follow their advice rather than some no mark jerk. My car needs its MOT soon. I'll take it to my trusted garage, not my hairdresser.