Christian Walton | Vital Football

Christian Walton

The_Pon

Vital Reserves Team
Rumour mill saying we're hoping to sign Walton permanently.

Personally, I think it's a lot of money for a keeper who I don't think has been that great. Not saying he's awful by any stretch of the imagination, but imho he doesn't command his area all that well, he's reluctant to come off his line and take the ball, and his distribution lacks ambition at times, in that he doesn't attempt long passes when there's a player in space further up the pitch, usually preferring the shorter, safer option. When you have players with pace like Massey and Robinson, those long passes can be very effective, yet Christian maybe lacks the confidence / ambition to go for them.

I prefer Jamie Jones in truth, and we already have him... He's not the greatest shot stopper, but his all round game makes up for that and I have more confidence in the defence as a whole when Jamie is organising.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Walton is crap, but is he worth a million? If we had a massive budget, a million is probably fair in truth, but we don't have a massive budget, and I think that million will represent a sizeable slice of our overall transfer budget which would be better spent elsewhere.

I won't be furious and upset if we sign him, and as he gets older and more experienced, hopefully he'll iron out those weak spots and become a very good keeper indeed (he's still very young by GK standards), but it's a gamble I don't feel we need to take.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Walton is crap, but is he worth a million? If we had a massive budget, a million is probably fair in truth, but we don't have a massive budget, and I think that million will represent a sizeable slice of our overall transfer budget which would be better spent elsewhere.

But yet you agree on giving a 35 year old bit part player a 12 month extension worth over 200k? Thats a sizeable slice of hypocrisy if you ask me.

.......... a 12 month extension worth over 200k?............

Have I missed something? Have the details of Gary Roberts' contract been made public? Bloody hell ........ clubs don't normally do that. Usually, it turns out that any values attributed to a player's wages are either completely made up, or have been passed on by "someone in the know", (who actually, just completely made it up).

:rolleyes:

Let's assume you actually know what Gary Roberts earns... £200k over a year. For that we get a dressing room leader with stacks of experience, and a very good pro who's proved he can still do the business when called upon.

Walton would be (a minimum of) £1m transfer fee, and I'd expect he'd be on something in the ballpark of £1m a year in wages.

So you're actually saying that you think Christian Walton is worth more than ten Gary Roberts'.

That's tripe and you know it.

Let's get real chaps. There is no way we'll be paying a player £1m a year. £20k a week?!!!

That said, I'm sure that if someone really wanted to work out an average, they could probably do so from the accounts.

I don't know... £20k a week is far from beyond the realms in the Championship nowadays. If Walton is a Premier League player (albeit not actually played in the PL) he'll not be on bad money at Brighton.

I'm not arguing, since I have no idea what he or anyone else gets, but it wouldn't surprise me... £20k per week isn't big money in football terms any more. Which is terrifying in itself.

I just can't for the life of me see how we could afford anything like that figure..... outside the Premier league of course.

Let's remember that there are probably 3 (financial) leagues within the Championship, and we're definitely in the bottom one.

We also have a pay structure within the club and have had for a few seasons and I don't see any evidence that JJ is prepared to break this for any player, and I include Nick Powell in that.

Like Moonay, i would be astounded if we are paying a player 20k a week. If i were to guess Powell woild be our highest earner and his wages are probably around 15k a week or so, maybe slightly more. That said he was signed when we still had a year of parachute payment money.

As for Walton, personally, im not convinced about bringing him back. He was dropped midseason for Jones dont forget. Plus it might be worth having a look around to see what the score is at some other Championship clubs regarding keepers. Bialkowski is probably available at Ipswich. Could get Bailey Peacock Farrell from Leeds as he is now back up there to Casilla.

I would only go back for Walton if attempts to sign someone else fail. I would like to see us fish somewhere else first for a new keeper.

I tend to differ with you on that Manchester Latic, I feel that Walton will develop into a decent keeper over the next couple of seasons given the right coaching and I think he is getting that at Wigan. He is also a good age to develop and sell on at a later date and if we could get him for a decent price the investment might be worth it. I know he has a couple of flaws but he has also shown that he has the strength of character to overcome these and his performances this season, although not perfect, have been good enough to keep us in the division. He also has a decent understanding with our recent back four and bringing in a new keeper would mean that the new guy would have to start from scratch.

Better the devil you know for me.

Owd up, i thought the transfer fee was a million quid, well thats what the OP says, why the hell are you lot on about 20k a week (£1m a year) wages?

The Brighton manager has been given the boot, i'll tell you what, i would have him as our manager in a heartbeat, Chris Hughton has forgot more about the Championship than Cook will ever know.

Personally, I think it's a lot of money for a keeper who I don't think has been that great. Not saying he's awful by any stretch of the imagination, but imho he doesn't command his area all that well, he's reluctant to come off his line and take the ball, and his distribution lacks ambition at times, in that he doesn't attempt long passes when there's a player in space further up the pitch, usually preferring the shorter, safer option. When you have players with pace like Massey and Robinson, those long passes can be very effective, yet Christian maybe lacks the confidence / ambition to go for them.

I prefer Jamie Jones in truth, and we already have him... He's not the greatest shot stopper, but his all round game makes up for that and I have more confidence in the defence as a whole when Jamie is organising.

I won't be furious and upset if we sign him, and as he gets older and more experienced, hopefully he'll iron out those weak spots and become a very good keeper indeed (he's still very young by GK standards), but it's a gamble I don't feel we need to take.

Very balanced post, and I have to agree that Walton probably isn't worth the money. I think your posts are very good and fair, for what it's worth.

Let's get real chaps. There is no way we'll be paying a player £1m a year. £20k a week?!!!

That said, I'm sure that if someone really wanted to work out an average, they could probably do so from the accounts.

Windass is costing us £16,025 per week before any wages or bonuses over three years.

ps

The lad Lopez is costing £6410 per week plus wages while out on loan.

20 k is chicken feed in football.

Windass is costing us £16,025 per week before any wages or bonuses over three years.

ps

The lad Lopez is costing £6410 per week plus wages while out on loan.

20 k is chicken feed in football.

I presume that you're referring to the amortized cost of the transfer fee with those values .................. but that isn't the issue being debated.

We're talking specifically about the wages that the players might be on.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what the going rate might be, but I can't believe it's anywhere near the vicinity of £20k per week.

Just out of interest how many posters work in the WAFC Accounts Department cos every bugger on here seems to know exactly what the players are all earning.

Just out of interest how many posters work in the WAFC Accounts Department cos every bugger on here seems to know exactly what the players are all earning.

Or they're pulling data from the Football Manager database... (which is surprisingly accurate)

Like Moonay, i would be astounded if we are paying a player 20k a week. If i were to guess Powell woild be our highest earner and his wages are probably around 15k a week or so, maybe slightly more. That said he was signed when we still had a year of parachute payment money.

As for Walton, personally, im not convinced about bringing him back. He was dropped midseason for Jones dont forget. Plus it might be worth having a look around to see what the score is at some other Championship clubs regarding keepers. Bialkowski is probably available at Ipswich. Could get Bailey Peacock Farrell from Leeds as he is now back up there to Casilla.

I would only go back for Walton if attempts to sign someone else fail. I would like to see us fish somewhere else first for a new keeper.
Rumer is. Powell was on 20.000 and been offered 25.000 . And do we get 1 mill if Sunderland get promotion for grig. ?

Rumer is. Powell was on 20.000 and been offered 25.000 . And do we get 1 mill if Sunderland get promotion for grig. ?

I thought we got the majority of the Grigg money up front, around 3-3.25million with various installments on top. So wouldn't be surprised if we would only receive a couple of hundred thousand for a Sunderland promotion.

I'd pay a mill for a goalkeeper. Especially at a young age, your potentially sorting out a key position for a good number of years. Is walton worth it? I think so, he's championship standard for me with potential to grow. He has his faults, but so does every player, particularly within our price bracket. His clean sheet record is fantastic at latics and although we must credit the defence, particularly last season (lg1) we must also recognise Waltons role in that. I would baulk at £20k a week though if that's accurate, it does seem excessive.