Christian Eriksen - Player Thread | Page 26 | Vital Football

Christian Eriksen - Player Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right that an additional 20 mill was NOT just for the winning the CL - I'm reliably informed t made about a quarter of the add-ons and that is actually pretty normal percentage of an add-on i.e. bonus's for winning competitions.

Varandas's statement makes it look like Levy was being "Levy", feeds into the narrative. Gives him the opportunity to say "they cleaned up the deal" when he basically accepts the very same thing.

Varandas's statement makes it look like Levy was being "Levy", feeds into the narrative. Gives him the opportunity to say "they cleaned up the deal" when he basically accepts the very same thing.

From where I sit, I'm never sure whether Levy's brings this upon himself. Take Aulas in the summer. Levy had to maintain a dignified silence whilst the verbal bullets were played through the media on the Ndombele deal. Varandas couldn't maintain a dignified silence either even though he kept his player and could have easily said nothing.

I'd personally like Levy to shake that old persona he has in the media on transfer dealings. It never seems healthy. He needs a new one where he's respected because when Levy comes knocking then his proposition is too tough for players to turn down. It's game over. That's when we know we're doing great in the transfer market.

From where I sit, I'm never sure whether Levy's brings this upon himself. Take Aulas in the summer. Levy had to maintain a dignified silence whilst the verbal bullets were played through the media on the Ndombele deal. Varandas couldn't maintain a dignified silence either even though he kept his player and could have easily said nothing.

I'd personally like Levy to shake that old persona he has in the media on transfer dealings. It never seems healthy. He needs a new one where he's respected because when Levy comes knocking then his proposition is too tough for players to turn down. It's game over. That's when we know we're doing great in the transfer market.

But we ARE doing great in the transfer market, the Summer window was fantastic.

I don't get why everyone seems so concerned about Levy's public perception, I'd rather our chairman be considered measured & prudent, and let the results in the real world show his effectiveness. And I am not complaining.

Training facilities, Stadium, community development, sports expansion, really quite a series of world class improvements, all in the interests of improving the quality of the team on the pitch. And lo and behold that has happened.

I like Levy just the way he is. If other teams are wary of him, I'd like that if I were him. Better that than a doormat, which alot of the guys doin the deals end up like.

Next 2 windows will be fun!

But we ARE doing great in the transfer market, the Summer window was fantastic.

I don't get why everyone seems so concerned about Levy's public perception, I'd rather our chairman be considered measured & prudent, and let the results in the real world show his effectiveness. And I am not complaining.

Training facilities, Stadium, community development, sports expansion, really quite a series of world class improvements, all in the interests of improving the quality of the team on the pitch. And lo and behold that has happened.

I like Levy just the way he is. If other teams are wary of him, I'd like that if I were him. Better that than a doormat, which alot of the guys doin the deals end up like.

Next 2 windows will be fun!

As I was saying to Ex, I think the summer transfer window on the incoming side was good, but not in the fantastic category. The best part of was the 3 + 1 signings we made though.

The bigger problem is the other side of the equation. We are just not churning players quick enough to get through this refresh process seamlessly, hence the current on field problems. To be a fantastic window for me, we would have needed to make a much bigger dent in that area.

Ultimately, whilst acknowledging Levy and team putting those fantastic building blocks in place, I hope it bugs the shit out of him the lack of trophies in his tenure. His current brand of "finance guy running things lean, hard negotiator with a new stadium" moves to "trophy laden billionaire chairman". That's without the negative connotations that have always followed guys like Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour who just bought it.

The issue wasn't this summer transfer window, it was the two previous.

Ndom, Lo and Sess are exciting signings. We sold some deadwood but not enough.

Many said it would come back to bite us in our Lilly white bums and it has. Not selling or buying was very poor management and has set the club back years.

Still remember many celebrating us not signing anyone like it was some sort of achievement. Pathetic mentality from a certain section of the fans.

I don't think anyone here was at all happy about not bringing in top players in the 2 previous windows, however I do think there's merit to the idea of not buying just to buy, which we have done in the past.

There were deals in BOTH windows that were close, a couple that were essentially done, and then they weren't. I posted on those attempts at the time, was called a liar, and then it's all come out to be 100% true. But just like Trump, it's the initial message that gets remembered, not the later more complicated, and accurate explanation.

Selling players you don't want, just on the face of what it is, isn't easy. And when those players refuse to go, well then what can you do?

Again, there have been essentially done deals for a number of "deadwood" players currently in our squad. They're still there, for differing versions, but not because the club didn't try and be rid of them. In a few cases we were willing to fire-sale the player and STILL couldn't get a bite.

My hope is that we are entering a financial period where we can carry some difficult contracts and not have that affect our continued business.

We tried to sell Eriksen, tried HARD, and nobody came in. Doesn't matter his price, if he can't be the player they want, they don't want him. Not Spurs fault.

I don't think anyone here was at all happy about not bringing in top players in the 2 previous windows, however I do think there's merit to the idea of not buying just to buy, which we have done in the past.

There were deals in BOTH windows that were close, a couple that were essentially done, and then they weren't. I posted on those attempts at the time, was called a liar, and then it's all come out to be 100% true. But just like Trump, it's the initial message that gets remembered, not the later more complicated, and accurate explanation.

Selling players you don't want, just on the face of what it is, isn't easy. And when those players refuse to go, well then what can you do?

Again, there have been essentially done deals for a number of "deadwood" players currently in our squad. They're still there, for differing versions, but not because the club didn't try and be rid of them. In a few cases we were willing to fire-sale the player and STILL couldn't get a bite.

My hope is that we are entering a financial period where we can carry some difficult contracts and not have that affect our continued business.

We tried to sell Eriksen, tried HARD, and nobody came in. Doesn't matter his price, if he can't be the player they want, they don't want him. Not Spurs fault.

Unfortunately, people like me have a massive weight on execution and whilst acknowledging it, much less weight on best efforts and best intent. I genuinely don't think fan thinks that there isn't a bunch of worker bees busting their gut to make these transfers happen. However, there's no point in life being the sales guy that almost closed some deals but missed their quarterly commit. It's classed as failure any way you look at it especially when you have enough data points for it to become a worrying trend. You can't go around in life blaming others for your own mis-execution.

It's a subtle difference between believing everything written in the body of your post, but totally disagreeing with your "not Spurs fault" last line.

Unfortunately, people like me have a massive weight on execution and whilst acknowledging it, much less weight on best efforts and best intent. I genuinely don't think fan thinks that there isn't a bunch of worker bees busting their gut to make these transfers happen. However, there's no point in life being the sales guy that almost closed some deals but missed their quarterly commit. It's classed as failure any way you look at it especially when you have enough data points for it to become a worrying trend. You can't go around in life blaming others for your own mis-execution.

It's a subtle difference between believing everything written in the body of your post, but totally disagreeing with your "not Spurs fault" last line.

Well, assuming that The Company also beleives its been a failure, which I surely doubt they do. By any business metric, this has been an unprecedented success.

The other thing, is that in comparison it seems other teams do better than they actually do.

How can you get the best execution & result without first putting forth the best efforts & intent? Whether that be in the market or on the pitch it goes hand in hand. The X factor is what goes on in the middle, and yes, hate to say, it's not always Spurs fault things don't go their way.

Not excusing everything. I've made my thoughts on certain deals well known here, and opinions of players & coaches good and bad, but when the call for change comes, I think everything, including what happens before the results should be considered. 'Cause that shit's pretty heavy handed.

RM's infighting messed up a bunch of stuff for us (Asensio injury blew up about 4 deals across Europe), Barca coach in fear for his job puts words in players mouths, PSG pissed about GLC making fuked-up noises about Dybala, and that's just this past Summer. Trust me, there's ALOT more.

It's this close. Had ANYONE but Zidane become the RM coach, we woulda got a fuken righteous deal for Eriksen, including an excellent player, and he'd be gone. Think of all the other players that were affected by that.

Not exonerating the brass, or the coach, but not all their fault.

Well, assuming that The Company also beleives its been a failure, which I surely doubt they do. By any business metric, this has been an unprecedented success.

The other thing, is that in comparison it seems other teams do better than they actually do.

How can you get the best execution & result without first putting forth the best efforts & intent? Whether that be in the market or on the pitch it goes hand in hand. The X factor is what goes on in the middle, and yes, hate to say, it's not always Spurs fault things don't go their way.

Not excusing everything. I've made my thoughts on certain deals well known here, and opinions of players & coaches good and bad, but when the call for change comes, I think everything, including what happens before the results should be considered. 'Cause that shit's pretty heavy handed.

RM's infighting messed up a bunch of stuff for us (Asensio injury blew up about 4 deals across Europe), Barca coach in fear for his job puts words in players mouths, PSG pissed about GLC making fuked-up noises about Dybala, and that's just this past Summer. Trust me, there's ALOT more.

It's this close. Had ANYONE but Zidane become the RM coach, we woulda got a fuken righteous deal for Eriksen, including an excellent player, and he'd be gone. Think of all the other players that were affected by that.

Not exonerating the brass, or the coach, but not all their fault.

So to clarify, my point above was about transfers only and execution of them in that 2 to 3 year period, not about this last summer. I agree that the bigger picture company stuff and business metrics are going just fine and the future looks great. But I would also hope the company, THFC, acknowledge they failed in that transfer area during that period and not deflect it elsewhere. It's on them. Our annus horribillis calendar year 2019 was a latent effect of a multi-year mis-execution and we fell from 86 points to 71 points in the league and may still fall further into 2020 before heading back in the right direction.

I will give you kudos though. Your informed insights always make it easier to understand the individual cases and get the context. We seem to be learning how to build the right pipeline and focusing on the right players to get business done if last summer is anything to go by. I have a feeling Levy being back from his intense stadium sabbatical must be helping that closing process as well.

Just for the record, there are 16 people working on getting a deal over the line in January - and that excludes Levy.

I think a few need to take a reality check given what we've achieved - like it or not Levy hasn't been given limitless funds by the billionaire big brother - in fact exactly the opposite.

Everything that Levy has done/achieved off the pitch was either self-funded or leveraged borrowing, but it all leads to one very simple outcome; in the future, we can spend and compete with all but the mega clubs.

If there is a worry, I was up at Sunderland last week seeing a player and they are buzzing; the three American multi-multi Billionaires who have just bought that club have just put in a significant investment and the message is 'money is no object' - the same is also true of the upcoming deal that the Qataris look like they're going to complete for Leeds - there is now even talk of a huge invesment going into Sheffield Wednesday by their princely owner, who also doesn't care how much he losses - and if the rumours are true, West Ham could also next year be in the hands of another mega oil family.

Everton's owner (although maybe stopped by FFP) has said he's ready to spend hundreds of millions on players over the next 3 years.

Chelsea (target of business friend Jim ) could have up to one Billion to spend over the next 4-5 years.

The competitive landscape is about to get mental. Transfer fees will once again go hyper and wages in the PL look like even for smaller clubs are going to explode.

We need to get our new 'project' done and dusted before they all start spending again.

Last edited:
I'm expecting that we won't see the best of Dele until he gets to play with Lo Celso, Ndombele and Kane regularly. We need our intelligent footballers to play together.

What we need is intelligence upgrade with a better attitude, than the average nothingness Alli has been providing for two seasons and three months of this one.

In many cases, I suspect it will soon be dead in the water, the sanctions are simply not biting enough.

We should follow rugby's guide on this one. 35 points deduction for a team that got 78 points last season and came 2nd to Exeter on 86 points. In a 12 team league with 22 games a season. Rather than a transfer embargo, that would be like Chelsea starting on something like -30 points.

Can you imagine football growing a pair and digging out some proper punishments?

It will be interesting to see how Eriksen performs for Denmark coming up. He has said his recent form has nothing to do with his contract situation .

If anyone has any doubts that Team Erikson are putting their boy in the shop window during the international break I would look at his social media output the last 48 hours.
There is a hollywood style slo-mo of him looking all mercurial in training with the Danes. Interviews. Etc etc.
His sponsors are at it as well.
The moderators on his social media accounts must be on a rolling rota to keep the comments positive! LOL.

It was only Gibraltar but from what I have read Eriksen didnt stink the place out. Scored 2 goals and put in some good crosses to create chances.

If anyone has any doubts that Team Erikson are putting their boy in the shop window during the international break I would look at his social media output the last 48 hours.
There is a hollywood style slo-mo of him looking all mercurial in training with the Danes. Interviews. Etc etc.
His sponsors are at it as well.
The moderators on his social media accounts must be on a rolling rota to keep the comments positive! LOL.

They better keep at it, his global value is in the tank, and dropping further fast. He looks to everyone like a player past it, and his inability to deal wiht the emotional aspect of his disappointment has lost him at least 3 potential big-time spots.

Run down the contract, get a decent sign-on fee, double your salary... Sounds like a good idea, until the up front payment disappears, and the teams able to do the doubling are all running away.... Gotta do sumthin.

Hey, I have an idea, pull your head outta yer ass and fuckin SHOW UP for Spurs. Pull them out of the swamp, and get back into the top6... Do THAT muthaFFffff....

And MAYBE you'll get a star wish. Don't? Yer done and good riddance.

All the media blush can't cover the hog-face you've put on display Senor Eriksen.

Redknapp urges Pochettino to wield the axe on wantaway star Eriksen

Date published: Sunday 17th November 2019 8:46
Christian.Eriksen2-699x367.jpg

Harry Redknapp has called on Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino to drop Christian Eriksen, given that the midfielder has previously expressed his desire to find a new challenge.

Denmark international Eriksen was the subject of speculation about a move to Real Madrid in the summer, while he also confirmed that he could look to find pastures new in the near future.

The midfielder’s contract runs out next summer and previous reports have linked him with a move away from North London in January.

Speaking to The Sun, former Tottenham boss Redknapp said that he doesn’t expect Eriksen to sign a new deal while he also called on Pochettino to drop him if he is not fully focused on his form.

“I don’t see him signing a new contract now. I think he will let it run out and take that option of being a free agent next summer,” the 72-year-old said.

“So if he doesn’t want to stay and has made up his mind to go, I’d be looking to play someone else now. If he doesn’t want to be part of the team, it’s very difficult — you want people who want to play for the club — and it’s time to say right, OK.

“He’s a great player, no doubt. He’s a fantastic footballer, but his form of late has been poor. He’s not in form and wants to leave at the end of the year — he’s stated quite plainly he is keen to go, even though Tottenham must have offered him a new contract.”

Speaking about a possible move for Eriksen in January, the pundit added: “You get to January and see if you can sell him then. But he probably won’t move then because, if he hangs on until the summer and sees his contract out, he’s a free agent.

“Let’s say his value is £50 million. When he is a free agent he can go to a club and his agent will say his value is £50m if you bought him. Now you are getting him for nothing, so you give him £25m and you will still have a bargain.

ADVERTISING
“So somebody will give him a big signing-on fee plus his wages, so he is really going to set himself up for life by hanging on now.”

Spurs sit 14th in the Premier League table with their next game coming away to West Ham next Saturday

It will be interesting to see how Eriksen performs for Denmark coming up. He has said his recent form has nothing to do with his contract situation .

So he's just plain rubbish then? Or in a bad mood about something else?

Either way his poor form and "couldn't give a shit: attitude should be in breach of his contract.

They are paid professionals and should not let everyday issues effect his performance as much as it has done for the last 12 months...during which he has been less than a 2nd division player WITH a poor attitude and zero commitment.

He really has such a poor character. Such a let down of an individual that is in need of serious mental help to salvage his career.

Do Spurs offer a mental health counselling service to their players? It's a very serious condition and one that warrants immediate action.

Status
Not open for further replies.