Chris Hughton - Profile | Vital Football

Chris Hughton - Profile

mao tse tung

Vital Champions League
61 year old Christopher William Gerard Hughton is a product of the Tottenham Hotspur Youth system, joining the Club at the age of 13, eventually going on to play just short of 300 first team games before spending two seasons at West Ham and one at Brentford.

He also had a distinguished international career playing over 50 times for the Republic of Ireland.

Once his playing career was over, Hughton went back to Tottenham in a coaching capacity, taking charge of their under 21 side; he worked his way up to reserve team coach and then first team coach, taking charge of the first team on two occasions in a caretaker capacity, before being fired along with Martin Jol in 2007

After leaving Tottenham he was offered the first team coach role at Newcastle by the then Director of Football, Denis Wise, eventually being offered the managers position after Alan Shearer guided the Club into the Championship the following year.

Hughton’s first season in the Championship was a resounding success, gaining promotion at the first attempt accumulating 102 points and scoring 87 goals in the process, while having to do without the services of 24m pounds worth of players, including Obafeme Martins, Sebastien Bassong and Damien Duff and signing just 3m worth of additions.

The following season witnessed Newcastle make a good start with Hughton becoming the first Manager of the Month for that season, but with the side sat in 12th place, Managing Director, Derek Lambias decided to dispose of Hughton’s services.

Hughton’s next port of call was at newly relegated Birmingham City in June 2011, inheriting a European campaign as City were the holders of the League Cup.

The season was accepted as a resounding success by the St Andrew’s faithful; they managed to get to the group stages of the Europa Cup, the 5th Round of the FA Cup and into the Championship play offs, losing over two legs to Blackpool.

This proved to be his one and only season with Birmingham who allowed Hughton to speak with Norwich.

His first season at Norwich resulted in an 11th place finish despite flirting with relegation all season; this pattern repeated the following season, eventually resulting in Norwich disposing of his services.

After spending 8 Months out of the game, Hughton was offered the managers role at Brighton in December 2014; he wasted no time gaining a play off position in his first full season, finishing 3rd before losing to Sheffield Wednesday over two legs.

The play off disappointment was put right the following season with a 2nd place finish and automatic promotion.

Hughton won another Manager of the Month award in his first season back in the Premier League finishing the season with a 15th place finish, but things turned sour in his second season being dismissed after the last game of the season and a disappointing 17th place finish.

Style of play:

In an article in the Coaches voice publication, shortly after leaving Brighton, Hughton gave an insight into his footballing philosophy:

He claims to have no predispositions on preferred formation, setting his sides up to be defensively sound but with strong attacking aspects, stating “Ultimately, it’s about winning football matches, and how you do that comes down to the level of club that you are managing and the players that you have.”

So, with his extremely good record in the EFL, it could be we are in for a delayed start to our promotion campaign; however, there are a few worrying similarities which need to be pointed out:

Long career with Tottenham – check

Distinguished career with the Republic of Ireland – check

Former manager of Newcastle – check

Chris Hughton?

No, Joe Kinnear

Three times promotion chaser, 2 times promotion winner, two time PL consolidator.

There is literally no one available with a better record of doing exactly what we want to achieve..

Derby fans will look at this one and think fuck... We would have gone for him.

Was wanted by Bristol in the summer. Not sure what happened with that, I assumed he turned then down rather than the other way round.

He's got just under 2 weeks to asses and maybe add to the squad, you'd hope they will allow him at least 1 or 2 players he asks for.

He's definitely the best option currently available, his type of squad and he knows exactly what is needed to get up hopefully he can get the best out of these players.

What’s happening with owd clueless Colin? He’s been his assistant a few times.

Three times promotion chaser, 2 times promotion winner, two time PL consolidator.

There is literally no one available with a better record of doing exactly what we want to achieve..

Derby fans will look at this one and think fuck... We would have gone for him.

Was wanted by Bristol in the summer. Not sure what happened with that, I assumed he turned then down rather than the other way round.

turned down 5 championship clubs since his last job apparently, wanted an 'exciting' project

It isn't going to be like that at this level.

I can only imagine what it must be to be bored but staying up at the top level.

He'll be pragmatic. The team is set up to be fairly defensive so he might just go with that. They will be much more organised.

I am expecting far more organisation and pragmatism. Make us hard to break down and then build from that. I'm really pleased with Hughton's appointment. Definitely the best we could have had.

I am expecting far more organisation and pragmatism. Make us hard to break down and then build from that. I'm really pleased with Hughton's appointment. Definitely the best we could have had.

I'm not sure he will have that luxury.

Not only have we failed to pick up a point but we have manged just the solitary goal.

The position we are in is definitely not terminal as yet, but going in to a run of 7 games in 22 days, we need to get off to a flyer, and first up is free scoring Blackburn away.

We need to hit the ground running both in terms of scoring goals and keeping them out

At the minimum we need three wins and three draws from that run of games; not only to build a little confidence but to get us moving up that table.

Hughton probably suits our current squad best and his record in this division is impressive. I remember his Newcastle team being particularly good going forward.

I would still expect one or two late signings just to balance the squad. Just a shame Carvalho has already gone but I am hoping he at least runs the rule over Clough and sees if he can get anything out of him.

I'm not sure he will have that luxury.

Not only have we failed to pick up a point but we have manged just the solitary goal.

The position we are in is definitely not terminal as yet, but going in to a run of 7 games in 22 days, we need to get off to a flyer, and first up is free scoring Blackburn away.

We need to hit the ground running both in terms of scoring goals and keeping them out

At the minimum we need three wins and three draws from that run of games; not only to build a little confidence but to get us moving up that table.

Not expecting much then?

Hughton probably suits our current squad best and his record in this division is impressive. I remember his Newcastle team being particularly good going forward.

I would still expect one or two late signings just to balance the squad. Just a shame Carvalho has already gone but I am hoping he at least runs the rule over Clough and sees if he can get anything out of him.

Fully agree with this statement.

If I remember rightly he was the Geordie manager that year it was a 3 horse race between Geordies, WBA & ourselves.
We beat the Geordies 1-0 at our place in an evening kick-off and then spent the night in town before going to watch Froch @ the Arena - 3:00am start due to American tv! - eventually got home 7:00am on Sunday morning

They were the days