Chey Dunkley | Vital Football

Chey Dunkley

Pubey

Vital Reserves Team
Strange that almost 48 hours after his serious injury there isn't a proper update. All it says is that there'll be an update in the coming days. I really hope he's ok and that there isn't worse news to come.

Blimey, can’t believe he’s at this stage of his recovery all ready. Less than 4 weeks since his double leg break, very surprising. May well finish the season after all.

Ha, ha - double fracture of the lower leg and technically he may only miss two games.

Absolutely amazing, so glad for the lad.

Good luck Chey , glad you have managed to get yourself fixed up at a Championship club despite the horrendous injury suffered.
Played with a passion , chipped in with a few goals and will be remembered fondly.
He’s done well to stay in the Championship

Mixed feelings about Chey Dunkley as a Championship player.
- Roberto / Sharpe pre season scouted player
- Head made of granite and scored some truly valuable goals in the Championship
- Defined the word 'hoof' for the last couple of seasons
- Some truly awful, all at sea defending (at times) when paired with Cedric
- Was he at fault for more goals than he scored ?
- Poor passer of the ball
- Very good at getting his body in the way of shots
- Upper echelon League 1 player
- Personally, I felt he never improved that much across 2 Championship seasons.
- Wigan improved defensively with him off the pitch.
- 2019/2020 season - 26 League matches played, 37 goals conceded when he played & 26 team goals scored

Mixed feelings about Chey Dunkley as a Championship player.
- Roberto / Sharpe pre season scouted player
- Head made of granite and scored some truly valuable goals in the Championship
- Defined the word 'hoof' for the last couple of seasons
- Some truly awful, all at sea defending (at times) when paired with Cedric
- Was he at fault for more goals than he scored ?
- Poor passer of the ball
- Very good at getting his body in the way of shots
- Upper echelon League 1 player
- Personally, I felt he never improved that much across 2 Championship seasons.
- Wigan improved defensively with him off the pitch.
- 2019/2020 season - 26 League matches played, 37 goals conceded when he played & 26 team goals scored

I won't try to deny the facts OLFE, but the one you missed out was that whenever he came onto the pitch he gave 100% of what he had.

Good luck Chey, you will be missed by some of us at least.

I think we'll see more and more of this type of signing. Chey is probably not first choice but would be a good solid back up squad member and he'll probably earn far more sitting out the rest of his career in a championship reserve team than playing week in week out in a salary capped league one. There's going to be a lot of football talent left wasted in championship squads over the next few years. You can't blame the players when their earnings window is so short, I think there will be a mind set shift in players as they get older from the previous "dropping a division to get regular first team football" to the future "securing a championship squad place and seeing out their career on better money."

Good luck Chey, I thank you for your service and commitment at WAFC.

Dunks had all the physical tools to be a top defender but unfortunately suffered from regular lapses in concentration. He could be a colossus but also had a costly mistake in him.

I always felt if a top defensive manager like Bruce got hold of him they could maybe iron out the flaws that held him back and see him push on. A bit like Bramble. I think he was by far at his best when Mulgrew was in the side and leading him - as he's very much the Vidic type 'destroyer' and greatly benefits from having a Ferdinand type next to him doing the organising. When Dunks was leading the back line with Kipre it just didn't really work and Cedric only flourished when he needed to step up and lead in Dunkley still absence.

Dunks was outstanding in L1 when it was all about winning the physical battles but in the Championship where he was more often up against clever players trying to avoid the battle and use their movement he got caught out more than you'd like.

Dunks certainly never let us down for commitment and I'm grateful for his contribution over his 3 years. I wish him well and it will be interesting to see if he does evolve under a different manager.