Chesham and Amersham election result | Vital Football

Chesham and Amersham election result

chris who

Vital Champions League
I believe that this result shows a example of what I have been saying that the Liberal Democrats and Labour supporters must try to find common ground. I believe the parties are closer together than many Tories and with one another. It is clear that Labour supporters help swing this result. The system is badly broken so I believe we have work with each other to use to to our advantage.

Classic by election Lib Dem win. I would have tactically voted Lib Dem there even though I'm a Labour party member.

Nice to see people turning against this charlatan at last, albeit for specific reasons locally. "Cake and eat it" Johnson now facing the problem of his supposed "Build back better" support for the northern red wall at the expense of Tory heartland.

Classic by election Lib Dem win. I would have tactically voted Lib Dem there even though I'm a Labour party member.

Nice to see people turning against this charlatan at last, albeit for specific reasons locally. "Cake and eat it" Johnson now facing the problem of his supposed "Build back better" support for the northern red wall at the expense of Tory heartland.

It may only be a byelection but still shows that there are many who think that this is a very poor government. They presided over 40,000 deaths in care homes for gods sakes.

No surprise really. There was a pattern of this in the last election and recent council elections. The Tories swept up a lot of traditional working class Labour seats/councils, Labour retained a much reduced percentage of seats/councils with their stronghold in ethnic minority areas and amongst metroplolitan champagne sociaist, and the LibDems picked up a few toffy areas in the Shires and West Country who haven't gotten over their Brexit battering. The net result has been and I predict will be that the Tories' majority will increase, but there will of course be setbacks as Boris and co aren't everyone's cup of tea and, ironically, it's largely amongst people with a lot more in common with his background than those new Tory voters.

It may only be a byelection but still shows that there are many who think that this is a very poor government. They presided over 40,000 deaths in care homes for gods sakes.
I’ll tell you a true story Arthurly.
My mother in law caught covid in her care home, in fact it was rife in there.
The management suspect that it was bought in to the home by a frail patient who had to go to the Royal Exeter and Devon hospital with a minor heart problem.
On sorting the problem, the resident was due to come back to the home and the management asked if the resident had been covid tested. The hospital said no she hadn’t. The care home then said that they didn’t think they could agree to the return of this very frail old lady unless she was proven covid free.
The hospital manager asked, then what are we supposed to do with her and she’s been discharged.
So, a bit of a Mexican standoff and eventually the care home rescinded and took her back in.
The rest is history.
My genuine question was, what could the hospital do.
She couldn’t be sent to a hotel given her frailness.
She couldn’t stay in hospital due to the desperate need for beds.
The home did isolate her until she died.
It’s probable that this dear old lady passed it on to one of the staff who in turn passed it on.
It was a very tricky time that nobody had a solution to.
My mother in law survived. In fact she was fine as was a lady who is 104.

I’ll tell you a true story Arthurly.
My mother in law caught covid in her care home, in fact it was rife in there.
The management suspect that it was bought in to the home by a frail patient who had to go to the Royal Exeter and Devon hospital with a minor heart problem.
On sorting the problem, the resident was due to come back to the home and the management asked if the resident had been covid tested. The hospital said no she hadn’t. The care home then said that they didn’t think they could agree to the return of this very frail old lady unless she was proven covid free.
The hospital manager asked, then what are we supposed to do with her and she’s been discharged.
So, a bit of a Mexican standoff and eventually the care home rescinded and took her back in.
The rest is history.
My genuine question was, what could the hospital do.
She couldn’t be sent to a hotel given her frailness.
She couldn’t stay in hospital due to the desperate need for beds.
The home did isolate her until she died.
It’s probable that this dear old lady passed it on to one of the staff who in turn passed it on.
It was a very tricky time that nobody had a solution to.
My mother in law survived. In fact she was fine as was a lady who is 104.

The problem is that the whole tragedy of Covid, including here with care homes, has been weaponised in a pretty crass way. I don't doubt the government made mistakes with care home - especially at the start - but the biggest criminals of all are some of the greedy care home owners who seem to lack any sort of moral compass. I know someone who works in a care home and someone who is fairly senior at the NHS and they speak of , what for me, is pretty much criminal behaviour of those in charge of and, in some cases, working in care homes. One care home owner at a care home where a number of residents died, who charges over £1000 a bed for a week with dozens of people there had the begging bowl out to the government for readily available and acquirable PPE and other basic items and then blamed the governement and NHS for their own failings. The same care home provided a budget of only just creeping into three figures for the kitchen for the week to produce the residents' meals. At other care homes, my friend in the NHS witnessed members of staff (in the height of Covid) going on their breaks, removing their PPE and sharing fags and coffee in large groups with no social distancing in place the returning to work. I'd imagine these are the same sort of people in care homes now who refuse to be vaccinated and are kicking off that they have to be.

The care home story is one that needs investigating after and is a tragedy for many families who lost people, but to try to suggest that it's just the government's fault in an attempt to score a political goal is pretty sick as there are lots of people at fault and there is also the fact that there was a pandemic running rife and, to an extent, sadly lots of people were going to die regardless.

Being a thoroughbred of good pedigree I am a natural Tory.
I also live in said constituency.

I did not vote ( as in the General Election ) as I could not support a party that though Boris as PM was a good idea. Yes yes I know I should vote but to be honest I could not bring myself to vote for anyone else.

The LibDems are against the proposed planning/Green belt changes which would have helped tremendously here.

So I am well pleased with the result, as anything however small that helps Boris out the door is a good thing.

Not sure that this was as "surprising" as the Hartlepool result. TTT may know the answer to this but, has the High Speed routing got anything to do with the result ? ( notwithstanding that the Libs there are apparently pro the HSR route, but then, they`d be unable to stop it, anyway) ?

Not sure that this was as "surprising" as the Hartlepool result. TTT may know the answer to this but, has the High Speed routing got anything to do with the result ? ( notwithstanding that the Libs there are apparently pro the HSR route, but then, they`d be unable to stop it, anyway) ?
I don’t know anything about the area so hopefully it wasn’t just local issues but a slide away from the Tories.
Labour left have declared that the voters were too stupid to understand their policies.
They won the argument but unfortunately lost their deposit.

I don’t know anything about the area so hopefully it wasn’t just local issues but a slide away from the Tories.
Labour left have declared that the voters were too stupid to understand their policies.
They won the argument but unfortunately lost their deposit.

I blame Lady May ....

People will vote Lib Dem in by elections to register protest. They wont do it at a general election. The Lib Dems are as about as unelectable as Corbyn and Starmer.

All three parties need to move toward the centre and stop this extremist madness we find ourselves in.

The rise of the SNP is the fall of Labour not the Tories.

Devolution was a bad idea in the structure it was given. Would allow nationalists to espouse crap and cause division. Clerly no one looked at Northern Ireland when they did it.

People will vote Lib Dem in by elections to register protest. They wont do it at a general election. The Lib Dems are as about as unelectable as Corbyn and Starmer.

All three parties need to move toward the centre and stop this extremist madness we find ourselves in.

The rise of the SNP is the fall of Labour not the Tories.

Devolution was a bad idea in the structure it was given. Would allow nationalists to espouse crap and cause division. Clerly no one looked at Northern Ireland when they did it.
Our little ray of sunshine is back.
:-)

This is of course a tactical vote.But I think most of all it proves that opposition parties need to find more common ground in constituencies like this one. Finding a common route is the way forward.The electoral system has massive faults it it but the fact that many Labour supporters are willing to vote Lib Dem and Lib Dem votes Labour shows that the leadership should be looking closely at the seats for the next election and let's fight them the way the Tories and Brexit party did .There are relatively few three way seats in England which does point to far more people tactically voting than has ever been accepted. Looking further forward there is a real possibility that the SNP will get their own way in Scotland that will bring even more difficult situations to both Liberal Democrats and Labour supporters alike.The Tories are widely split but somehow simply find a way of sticking together.
Putting it down as anything to do with Brexit is nonsense as the area was split down the middle as many were
Remain 20,077
Leave 20,647
Turnout 78.4%

Last edited:
No surprise really. There was a pattern of this in the last election and recent council elections. The Tories swept up a lot of traditional working class Labour seats/councils, Labour retained a much reduced percentage of seats/councils with their stronghold in ethnic minority areas and amongst metroplolitan champagne sociaist, and the LibDems picked up a few toffy areas in the Shires and West Country who haven't gotten over their Brexit battering. The net result has been and I predict will be that the Tories' majority will increase, but there will of course be setbacks as Boris and co aren't everyone's cup of tea and, ironically, it's largely amongst people with a lot more in common with his background than those new Tory voters.
This result had nothing to do with Brexit.
Remain 20,077
Leave 20,647
Turnout 78.4%
If there are still angry Tories voters and maybe MPs over Brexit it is time they split with the current Tory party for ever.

Last edited: