Rehashing old stuff | Vital Football

Rehashing old stuff

ExiledViking

Vital Squad Member
He won't get a cheer or clap from me, just a shrug. He should still be a Latics player, but got greedy and it's bitten him on the arse. I certainly don't mind players going to further their career, but his move to the reserves of a Championship club was clearly money related when considering the interest he apparently had. Yes he was probably badly advised but he's 20 years old and should have known better. Would he have been a regular starter here? Who knows, but he'd have played a big part this season I have no doubt as he's a great young player.

Anyway, him and his strike partner Alfie May won't stop running and will prove a handful for our CBs to deal with. You'd imagine with Michael Duff in charge they'll be well set up defensively and won't be easy to break down either. Same team as last weekend and let's hope for an early goal to open things up again.
Joseph, McGurk, Gelhardt, Weir and Devine all sold their collective souls for a shot at the big time.
Yes, I know Gelhardt, Weir and Devine were sold for obvious reasons, but they still could've said no, nobody held a gun to their head.
The law of averages dictates that only 1 out of those 5 will make it, and the others...?
The others will end up as lower league cannon fodder, with a headful of crippling regret...

Joseph, McGurk, Gelhardt, Weir and Devine all sold their collective souls for a shot at the big time.
Yes, I know Gelhardt, Weir and Devine were sold for obvious reasons, but they still could've said no, nobody held a gun to their head.
The law of averages dictates that only 1 out of those 5 will make it, and the others...?
The others will end up as lower league cannon fodder, with a headful of crippling regret...

If Geldhardt, Weir and Devine said no we'd have gone into liquidation at that time. It's just as well they didn't say no as we wouldn't have had a club for them to play for.

As they'd already sold Moore - not so. If they had got market value for him we could have kept the 3 young superstars

As they'd already sold Moore - not so. If they had got market value for him we could have kept the 3 young superstars

Moore was sold after the youngsters were sold. The EFL gave permission for us to sell them but only to premiership clubs, their sales allowed us to complete our fixtures for the season. They were also sold for up front payment as was Moore, hence the lower price we got.

People seem to forget that most transfer deals are done with the money being paid in instalments, something we couldn't do, and therefore buying clubs held the upper hand and a lower price was to be expected.

Edit:

Regarding market value, this is the price that the market is prepared to pay for a player at the time. At that time no one else offered more, therefore we got market value. What you are talking about is the inflated values that are put on players by clubs, agents and fans which are often wildly higher than what the market is willing to pay.

If Geldhardt, Weir and Devine said no we'd have gone into liquidation at that time. It's just as well they didn't say no as we wouldn't have had a club for them to play for.
That's pure speculation.
There was many times during administration, when Krasner spouted "there's only enough money left for X amount of weeks"... It was all a cynical ploy to try and get buyers to the table.

But they didn't get market value, did they?

Also, at least 2 of the young lads were the first to go, before we could sell anyone else (if I remember rightly).
Gelhardt was out of the door before the ink was dry on the Administration papers.
His Mum (who was a prominent #wafc twitter poster) started to distance herself the day after admin was announced.

Gelhardt was out of the door before the ink was dry on the Administration papers.
His Mum (who was a prominent #wafc twitter poster) started ducking questions about him staying, the day after admin was announced.
Granted, Gelhardt (and Joseph, and McGurk too) was a different scenario to Devine and Weir.

Let's face it, the future was very uncertain, so I've no problem whatsoever with young lads like that looking after theirselves in that situation.

His Mum (who was a prominent #wafc twitter poster) started to distance herself the day after admin was announced.
Though the Moore deal was done before the Stoke game before admin ! Cook was furious. Now if we'd got £3m rather than £2m which 5 clubs all bid we could have kept the 3 starlets

Though the Moore deal was done before the Stoke game before admin ! Cook was furious. Now if we'd got £3m rather than £2m which 5 clubs all bid we could have kept the 3 starlets

The Moore deal was done before the Fulham game, not Stoke which was prior to the admins taking control. Cook was furious because it disrupted his preparations for a crucial game in our survival in the championship. Also the club only received offers around the two million mark not the three you mention. Those bids were all cash bids as we were not able to accept instalments.

No , it wasn't the Stoke game it was one of the other later home games (I think) when we was actually in admin as we was furious with the administrator.

It's done now. Need to let it go. We're miles down the line and lang and thelo are here plus a few others and doing the business

Irs all ifs, buts & maybes now. Perhaps our administration was to happen for a reason. To allow us to have a much more decent owner & the makings of what I believe will be a great "team!"

The admins accepted Cardiff City's bid for Moore on the day of the Fulham game.
Cook was furious because of the timing, the admins never told him nor Moore until just before kick off.

Granted, Gelhardt (and Joseph, and McGurk too) was a different scenario to Devine and Weir.

Let's face it, the future was very uncertain, so I've no problem whatsoever with young lads like that looking after theirselves in that situation.
Joseph and McGurk could've quite easily stayed, as the Bahraini's were in charge by then.
Don't think either of them will be playing 1st team football for their respective "bigger" clubs any time soon.
And that goes for Gelhardt too.

Joseph and McGurk could've quite easily stayed, as the Bahraini's were in charge by then.
Don't think either of them will be playing 1st team football for their respective "bigger" clubs any time soon.
Gelhardt was on the bench today. Scored a penalty on the whatever cup last week.

I was agreeing with you .... but also acknowledging that their departure was understandable when considering the options from their point of view. As it turns out, the new owners are proving to be great, but to be fair, they could just as easily have been Choi Mk2.

Gelhardt has already played for the 1st XI in the cup ....he scored a pen earlier in the week.

Edit - Ta NZFC ... you posted just as I did.

Gelhardt was on the bench today. Scored a penalty on the whatever cup last week.
He's been on the bench a few times but as yet, hasn't got on.
Bielsa prefers Tyler Roberts.
As for the League Cup game, most teams select fringe players until the later rounds, and that's exactly what Gelhardt is, a fringe player.
He'll be out on loan in January.

That's pure speculation.
There was many times during administration, when Krasner spouted "there's only enough money left for X amount of weeks"... It was all a cynical ploy to try and get buyers to the table.

It's not speculation - we went into administration due to all money being pulled so wages couldn't be paid. There was no gate receipts at the time and any payments due from the EFL were withheld because we were in administration.

There was a massive wage bill with zero income, the administrators weren't lying when they said them going kept the club alive.

It's not speculation - we went into administration due to all money being pulled so wages couldn't be paid. There was no gate receipts at the time and any payments due from the EFL were withheld because we were in administration.

There was a massive wage bill with zero income, the administrators weren't lying when they said them going kept the club alive.
They weren’t sold until after the end of the season, although I know for a fact Leeds were tapping Gelhardt up from the day Administration was announced (Krasner probably got a kick back off it, with all his Leeds connections).

They didn't need to go so soon...