Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm | Page 42 | Vital Football

Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm

doesn't matter much really as Mings is another that'll not be dropped
- he's 28 now so don't think there's much scope for him to improve all that much.
Value wise we should be looking to cash in on him sooner rather than later.
That's the secret, knowing when to sell ie 29 and in the England squad, top Dollar and will only go down with his contract. Arsenal under Wenger used to sell players at that age and buy a 24 year old

doesn't matter much really as Mings is another that'll not be dropped
- he's 28 now so don't think there's much scope for him to improve all that much.
Value wise we should be looking to cash in on him sooner rather than later.

Getting harder to defend him, which I have done over the last 2 seasons.

To do that again yesterday is so so poor. You are fcuking international Tyrone you shouldn't be doing that anymore.

If Konsa was better than Mings he'd be in the England squad? If Axel was a PL player Man Utd wouldn't keep signing CB's. I don't think Hause makes as many glaring mistakes as Mings and he's far better in the air

Konsa doesn't get in the England squad because Southgate is a moron and although Tuanzebe is a decent player he's not a champions league level cb. Hause makes less glaring mistakes because he doesn't play as much but his overall game isn't as good as Mings. We'd be worse off over the course of a season playing Hause over Mings and that's all that matters.

Sit Mings down in front of a compilation of McGrath, Laursen and Mellberg examples of defending. He has a lot of good qualities but they all knew when to just put the boot through the ball and clear the danger. Pissing about on the edge of your own penalty area with an opposition player breathing down your neck shouldn’t be any part of a defender’s game plan.

Getting well ahead of yourself there in my humble. Silence the doubters?. C'mon that's stupid.
The doubters aren't doubters at all just people who won't give into the usual play the kids hype about the next off our production line and wait to see what he is like on the pitch before judging. He has a long long way to go to 'silence' anyone.

If you actually read people's posts they (including me ) were full of praise after Newcastle and talking bench mark performance which he improved upon yesterday infact.
Excellent.
But before these two performances he has been no more than low end solid.

Honestly this place at times. Unless you go happy clapping about kids and new signings and you wait until you see them on the pitch and look for a string of consistent performances you are negative or a doubter. Jeez.
Absolutely bizarre response. Just praising the lad who has done a good job in his performances this season. Only have to look at how many people wanted to shift him out on loan over the summer and said he wasn’t good enough last season after just a few games into his career. Even at points I had some doubt but he’s shown that he has potential and deserves a chance in and around the first team.

Sit Mings down in front of a compilation of McGrath, Laursen and Mellberg examples of defending. He has a lot of good qualities but they all knew when to just put the boot through the ball and clear the danger. Pissing about on the edge of your own penalty area with an opposition player breathing down your neck shouldn’t be any part of a defender’s game plan.
He fluffed a simple pass, it wasn't a problem of decision making but execution. I also think that Martinez preempts that pass.

How Ben White got into the Euros squad and Konsa hasn't even been called up is beyond my understanding. Coady as well.

In one respect it’s a good thing. In another, we have another former player risk, where the player might start thinking he needs to leave for a call up. Which would start putting Southgate at risk of having a bounty on his head.

I do agree that some players are now too afraid to just punt it up the pitch, although in that situation I think the decision wasn't too bad, it was the execution. Very poor pass. But I do think that's come about from him being too indecisive.
With Mings quite often you see his best games when he's drawn out wide and just blasts it into the stands...but very often you'll see him go to blast it, stop, take a second, try to pull back inside realise he's in a corner and then awkwardly clear.
I do still think he's a top player, but until we can purchase Varanes and Van Dijks, we just have to accept it'll happen unless we play like Burnley.

In one respect it’s a good thing. In another, we have another former player risk, where the player might start thinking he needs to leave for a call up. Which would start putting Southgate at risk of having a bounty on his head.

I'm not even sure if its down to that as Coady still gets called up at Wolves and White was still a Brighton player when he got called up. I think Southgate is just a fool.

Sounds like your typical plastic stadium with no atmosphere.
I had to listen on talk sport, commentary team said on a number of occasion s that all the noise you can hear is the Villa fans fans, nothing comming from Chelsea. Also , the ex pro co commentator said no one should be surprised by Atwells performance, very poor referee.

I'm not even sure if its down to that as Coady still gets called up at Wolves and White was still a Brighton player when he got called up. I think Southgate is just a fool.

I agree Southgate is a fool, overrated bellend if you ask me. Fool or genius, I’ll be raging if Konsa thinks he has to leave to be selected.

I think we need to go to 4-3-3.

Steer can catch a ball but he's a flapper and has had some terrible moments pre-season and again yesterday. The wing backs did OK but they will never score and was it worth not having Bailey or Traore on? Ings and Ollie have had no time together but they started well - I think give it 5 games and they will start linking up better - I am excited by this frontline but I'd add Bailey to this combo.

We have a squad now - so we need to sub the weakest of the front three mid game to bring on the remainder of Traore/Bailey. Also I think Buendia starts in midfield - with again Nak or Ramsey replacing the weakest midfielder mid game too.

If we ever get a decent run of games I can see this team gelling and being really good.

PS look at Brighton - they kept playing their system last season but maybe it is clicking for them more now? 4th.
Or not.

Not sure this is a problem but it's an observation Dean can't sub SJM or Ollie no matter what , I think this is a blinkered approach, even Scotland with their limited squad sub SJM.
I think John was very good at winning the ball but needs to start giving it to the nearest player as his passing results in the ball being given straight back.
Ollie wouldn't have scored in a brothel again Chelsea despite numerous chances but he subs Ings. Who could win you the game in a flash, let's be honest Ollie looked better than Lukaku last night but the big lump hit two shots two goals, Ings is that kind of striker too.

I think he needs to be less blinkered with his subs

The only reason I thought DS might substitute Ollie was that this was his first game of the season, and maybe not 100% match fit. In the event he seemed to last OK and was our main threat, although possibly slightly rusty with his touches.

The difference between Ollie and Lukaku was that Lukaku was presented with a couple of huge chances with only a rookie defender to beat, which being an oustanding striker he did with the greatest of ease. Ollie in contrast had to create his own chances and had to take on a defence with some of the best defenders in the PL. Thought he did pretty well, and only a couple of great blocks by defenders stopped him scoring.

Danny had an off day, period. He wasn't getting into threatening positions. Admittedly the lack of wingers didn't help him, hence lack of crosses behind the defence.

The problem with 3-5-2 is that we can't easily fit in the likes of Traore, AEG and Bailey, and I don't quite see where emi2 fits in. Wonder what we'll do against Everton.

The only reason I thought DS might substitute Ollie was that this was his first game of the season, and maybe not 100% match fit. In the event he seemed to last OK and was our main threat, although possibly slightly rusty with his touches.

The difference between Ollie and Lukaku was that Lukaku was presented with a couple of huge chances with only a rookie defender to beat, which being an oustanding striker he did with the greatest of ease. Ollie in contrast had to create his own chances and had to take on a defence with some of the best defenders in the PL. Thought he did pretty well, and only a couple of great blocks by defenders stopped him scoring.

Danny had an off day, period. He wasn't getting into threatening positions. Admittedly the lack of wingers didn't help him, hence lack of crosses behind the defence.

The problem with 3-5-2 is that we can't easily fit in the likes of Traore, AEG and Bailey, and I don't quite see where emi2 fits in. Wonder what we'll do against Everton.
I like Watkins a lot but he was given a great chance on a plate in the first half which he ruined with a poor first touch and then tried to round the keeper, giving defenders the opportunity to get back.

Lukaku on the other hand is at least one of the very best strikers in the world and undeniably world class. Watkins is not in his league.

Watkins needs to dramatically improve his first touch, especially in front of goal, and sharpen up some of his decision making in front of goal. Other than that I think Watkins played extremely well but let himself down a bit in the part of the pitch that counts the most for a player in his position.