Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm | Page 38 | Vital Football

Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm

My only hope

Back in the day , before every game was on TV we lost at Ipswich and reading the match report in the Sunday papers it was Villa who caught the eye that game and so it proved we went on to lose 3 times to Ipswich that season and we all know the rest

I agree with sirdennis that calling us plucky losers suggests we sat back and defended to the death. . UTV

To me Plucky losers mean we have a right good go but ultimately lose 3-0 as everyone bar optimistic Villa fans expected.
That's how I see plucky losers just like the Spurs game first season back.

Lot of slaps on the back but .......no cigar

To me Plucky losers mean we have a right good go but ultimately lose 3-0 as everyone bar optimistic Villa fans expected.

I thought we played well, but ultimately we're just losers. We need to be better in front of goal and a lot, lot better at the back.

Bad defending cost us all three goals, we missed great chances in front of goal as well.

I thought we played well, but ultimately we're just losers. We need to be better in front of goal and a lot, lot better at the back.

Bad defending cost us all three goals, we missed great chances in front of goal as well.
We played some nice football with 2 upfront. Much better without wide players and SLM and Luiz dominated until they got tried.
It isn't quite there is it SJM final ball is total whank and undoes all his brilliant hard work , Mings has that mistake in him every game,they are minor ones they are always cockups. Ollie need 10 chances to score one goal, just little attention to detail and we'd have won that

Excellent first half. Second goal was the killer really. Finishing, the main difference tonight but I guess that’s what a £90m striker does for you. And how that clown Atwell is regarded as an ‘elite’ ref is beyond anyone’s comprehension, dreadful performance. Villa fans as ever, tremendous throughout.…despite the result.

Ah well, change of tack. Now for tennis. I'm watching all of these has been's seeping out of the woodwork. Nothing like basking in someone else's glory.

No doubt, I will pick up the papers tomorrow to find Piers Morgan slagging her off for being crap if she loses or taking the credit for slagging her off if she wins.
Come on Emma.

I get where you're coming from but Spurs were all over us in that game. Chelsea never really were despite the 3 goals.

Annoying result. First half thought we were great. Lukaku's goal apart (and that's what you're in danger of getting from a world class striker) we dominated things, and created plenty of chances. I don't blame Ollie; with most of them he created the chances and they were difficult ones to put away. First game this season; he will get better. Their second goal took the wind out of us a bit; the substitutions brought some life back but not enough. Tyrone's mistake was a big one but he'll know that. Their third I thought Tuanzebe and Konsa should have done better.

Thoughts. In spite of our good first half I don't think 3 at the back suits us. Konsa and Mings generally make a formidable partnership; Tuanzebe isn't at their level and I think weakens things.

Of individual players, we all know what SJM is good at; trouble is we know what he isn't! Thought Ings was anonymous. Ramsey looked lively but then faded and wasn't surprised when he was subbed. Likewise. Luiz faded and Nakamba looked much more lively when he came on. On the plus side of things, Cash and Targett looked up to speed, and both Traore and Bailey did OK when they came on but couldn't affect the game.

Wonder what we should do for the Everton match. Think Dean will be wondering as well.

I’m rarely the first to defend Mings but the first two goals are also a symptom of how the manager wants us to play. And that isn’t a bad thing by any means, but you do sometimes have to take the rough with the smooth.

In the first half, we were pressing extremely high whilst the full backs were getting much further than I thought they would. We get caught out and leave acres of space in midfield - the one time we got caught out - and the opposition hurt us due to weak and poor defending.

The second goal, Mings tries and plays it back as he is instructed to do however even in the most amateur of games, don’t take risks or concede straight after half time. There was nothing wrong with row Z from Mings’ right boot when that ball came to him in my book, however Smith might have thought otherwise and bollocked him.

I do love the way we play football from the back, I liked the way we pressed and attacked with speed today - we just lacked the precision of final ball. We just seem to get caught out at key times, which on another day we might have held it at 1-0 or even 0-0 longer, however the second took the wind out of our sails.

I’m not overly bothered about today, I’ll be more annoyed if we don’t beat Everton next week.

We played reasonably well but some reall sloppy defensive play let them score 3 easy goals and we’ve somehow been thrashed 3-0. Mings had a shocker but most of the others were decent in all honesty. It still feels like we’re trying to find our feet without Grealish, despite playing ok for most of the game we weren’t able to put them to the sword at any moment whereas they had the quality to take advantage of moments in the game against us.

Hopefully with a fully fit and available squad we will be a decent beast. However short term there are some tough fixtures still to come.

Sky's ratings for our players

Aston Villa: Steer (5), Konsa (6), Mings (5), Tuanzebe (6), Targett (6), Cash (6), McGinn (7), Douglas Luiz (7), Ramsey (8), Watkins (7), Ings (6).

Subs used: Bailey (6), Traore (6), Nakamba (N/A)

We played reasonably well but some reall sloppy defensive play let them score 3 easy goals and we’ve somehow been thrashed 3-0. Mings had a shocker but most of the others were decent in all honesty. It still feels like we’re trying to find our feet without Grealish, despite playing ok for most of the game we weren’t able to put them to the sword at any moment whereas they had the quality to take advantage of moments in the game against us.

Hopefully with a fully fit and available squad we will be a decent beast. However short term there are some tough fixtures still to come.

I think we played better than "reasonably" The first half was the best we have played for a while including games that featured the ex No.10. We will play worse than we did today and win games .

Tuchel commented on our strong set pieces according to a quote I’ve seen on Instagram. I know some on here we’re skeptical about a set piece coach, but I think my mate Angus is doing a fantastic job - on another day both centre halves could’ve scored.