Chelsea FC v Manchester City - Carabao Cup Final - Wembley Sunday 24th Feb 2019 - KO- 4.30pm (UK Time) Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Chelsea FC v Manchester City - Carabao Cup Final - Wembley Sunday 24th Feb 2019 - KO- 4.30pm (UK Time) Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
The Waffle
City meets Chelsea this weekend in an attempt to retain the League Cup title currently sponsored by Carabao. Chelsea can be devastating at times and have an array of talent envied by most Clubs in the premier league, whilst their Coach, Mr Sarri has a big fan in Pep Guardiola, I think both Coaches are similar in terms of going into their first year as Coaches in the Premier League not really knowing how tough it would be.

Chelsea were the first to beat City at Stamford Bridge in the League, but failed to do the double, when they played the return visit to the Etihad and whilst technically City beat Chelsea in the Community Sheild way back in September, that is never a guide to form and is played more like a friendly than a serious game.

Form goes out of the window in Cup matches and this will be no exception as nerves will play a part of the game and it may depend on who settles down first, hopefully, it will be a good game and with VAR in action, blatant errors should be eradicated, but do not hold your breath on that one as City have just come through a Champions League match which did not show VAR as the shining light most of us expected. As in all the other sports when the occasion arises the process is explained and the fans can see what is happening, but in Football it is a secret why?

City Team News
The usual suspects are sidelined with Bravo, Mangala and Mendy not expected to take any part in the game. whilst Fabian Delph and Gabriel Jesus could face late fitness tests.

Pep's Dilemma
Will Pep go with those players who do not get on the team sheet every week, or does he put out a Team that is his strongest on current form? I do not know the answer to this one but I will not be surprised if Phil Foden does not get a place in the squad or if he is named as a starter.

Match Officials
Referee: Jon Moss
Assistant Referees: Andy Halliday, Marc Perry
Fourth Official: Paul Tierney
Reserve Assistant Referee: Constantine Hatzidakis
VAR: Martin Atkinson
AVAR: Steve Child

next -

Wed, 27 Feb8 PM (GMT)
westhamunited150.ashx
West Ham United ETIHAD STADIUM
Premier League

Last edited:
The answer to your question about the 'mystery of VAR' has to be "because they lack such confidence in their own decisions and the process they dare not expose this to the public".

If Wednesday's 'show' is anything to go by I hope it is just not needed. I will eat my hat if we get a decision in our favour from this system.

We need to win this Cup, our last 6-0 trouncing will have little bearing on this game. Will Pep shoehorn in all his favourite mid fielders to get the Doctor in, or will he drop Red Kev, or Merlin and play 4-1 4-1. With an early goal we should be Ok, but Chelsea will pick their best side and expect to turn us over.

We should win this and I hope Pep picks his strongest side.
JK a bit of competition in your house this weekend mate!

We should win this and I hope Pep picks his strongest side.
JK a bit of competition in your house this weekend mate!
I picked him up from school this afternoon and he did not mention the Melbourne derby and as City are the underdog neither did I. The young lad was off to soccer training when his Dad got home from work.

They continue to publish these articles yet they refuse to call us a great side, in fact we are one of the greatest to play in the Premier and such articles prove it.

It's also good to think back to all the snooty "But can Guardiola cut it in the Premier League"? comments that were made before he arrived. He has well and truly been vindicated in sticking to his convictions.

As it currently stands...

Ederson Walker Zinchenko Kompany Laporte Fernie Gundogan B Silva De Bruyne Sterling Aguero

Danilo Otamendi Mahrez D Silva Sane Foden

I had Muric in goal, but following comments I saw attributed to Pep about not yet making his mind up about the number 1 position, I think he'll go with Ederson.
If so, tough on Muric.

As it currently stands...

Ederson Walker Zinchenko Kompany Laporte Fernie Gundogan B Silva De Bruyne Sterling Aguero

Danilo Otamendi Mahrez D Silva Sane Foden

I had Muric in goal, but following comments I saw attributed to Pep about not yet making his mind up about the number 1 position, I think he'll go with Ederson.
If so, tough on Muric.

I agree, but Aro is progressing much better than I thought he would and would have no problems if he was to start the game tomorrow.

Here we are again.....
Another “how do you stop Man City” article.
With the rag dipper game also on Sunday, why no “how do you stop” articles on either of them?

https://www.skysports.com/football/...petitions-this-season-so-how-do-you-stop-them

You do realise that this is a compliment - there are no 'how do you stop Liverpool, Spuds, Huddersfield' because the FA/media/Vatican aren't afraid of them. The time to start worrying is when they do ask the question - how do you stop Liverpool?

Try and enjoy the footie rather than getting stressed about the press - I mean that's what we're here for, right?

You do realise that this is a compliment - there are no 'how do you stop Liverpool, Spuds, Huddersfield' because the FA/media/Vatican aren't afraid of them. The time to start worrying is when they do ask the question - how do you stop Liverpool?

Try and enjoy the footie rather than getting stressed about the press - I mean that's what we're here for, right?

It does not feel like a compliment when Stretford or Chelsea or Arsenal dominated the Leagues I cannot recall any article(s) of a similar nature, it is as though they hate the kind of football that we play and in a combined effort of ideas we can beat them and then when we lose they go to town on us.

I refer to an earlier post I did in the Schalke thread, where the BBC put out two headlines 1. plucky 10 men Celtic bow out of Europe. 2. 'Sterling snatches late win for Man City'

notice the difference?