Cheap Processed Food Is Crap! | Vital Football

Cheap Processed Food Is Crap!

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Admitted by a food chain chief but seriously, what do people expect?

20 burgers for a £1 do they think they are getting prime fillet ?!

Iceland boss Malcolm Walker says he doesn't eat own-brand value food because, well, they're rubbish and tasteless. What he actually said was that he wouldn't cook own-brand value food because it "won't contain much meat".

Even the bosses of UK supermarket chains are admitting that everyday food staples sold to the British public are junk.

http://money.aol.co.uk/2013/02/18/iceland-boss-says-value-meat-is-rubbish/?ncid=webmail4

Apparently obesity now effects poorer children than those from more affluent backgrounds these days. Due partly to the cheap fat loaded foods that can be picked up for a quid or so in supermarkets. You can get a pizza for a £1 in Iceland, cheap evening meal.

This is what i lived on when times was harder than they are now when i had my flat and lost my job, in an ideal world we would all have the access to better quality food, but hey do we really know 100% what shit is in this supposed quality food these days?

TBh with firms like Findus coming out and saying there food has been contaminated is there are wonder that basic food is like it is.

TBH cook from scratch is the best way and even then we don't know for definite what our fresh product has had done to it today

Agree KK we cook a spag Boll from scratch costs about £5 all thogether, a stir fry the same, a Stew about the same would rather eat our own food than this stuff nowadys for sure

But i see the other side of the coin why people who have less money HAVE to buy this cheap food, times are hard and why i get so pissed off we in this country keep trying to solve the worlds food crisis etc in africa n all that when at home our own people need help, it pisses me right off tbh!

It is exactly that. People use being poor (and many are 100% stretched financially) be their excuse for ignorance of food. You can cook good healthy food just as cheap/far cheaper in many cases than this instant manufactured/poisened crap.

And you can cook enough to freeze down for convenience as well.

The problem is Clive that cookery (proper basic cookery) is not taught in schools nowadays. All of mine can cook because I taught them too. Burgers can be made from scratch for very little effort and time.

Cookery should be taught as a mandatory lesson because everyone needs to know how to cook as we need food to stay alive.

Very few are like my future daughter in law who can cook. She is an awesome cook too.

In our local supermarket you can get 3 packs of meat for £4 each or 3 for £10-00. There is at least 4 days of meals with meat in that. Stew with the stewing meat will last 2 days with veg and remaking dumplings for on the second night. Spag bol, lasagna Shepard pie for example (I make chicken lasagne) and you got at least 4 days meals there.

Baking is cheap too! OK we don't live on the bread line and can afford a few luxuries however there was a time we did and I knew how to make fresh food and make it last cheaply.

The reason is simple that cookery is not considered top priority in schools and it should be

Oh and yeah buy meat in the knocked down price fridge and freeze it says a few bob too as long as when you defrost it you use the same day

I agree you can get x amount of meals out of meats like Asda 3 for a tenner a chicken mince meat and pork chops etc but lets be honest as KK says the art of cooking is dying off in areas like mine,

My misses can cook but how many can't or so are not very good due to cooking not be passed on any more as a teaching from family (due to the modern way families not being as close as they used too nowadays) or schools etc

Plus there is time, i mean finishing work picking the kids up and sorting everything they need aswell as everything else no wonder we live in a fast food world now, there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day tbh

Part of the problem is "were lazy" our parents (I'm 55) used to shop every day at the local corner shop for their daily shopping. Spuds, carrots all the veggies tinned pea's and meat were bought home into the kitchen and cooked, we never had a fridge full of stuff going out of date! There were no freezers full of meat, fish and other defrost in seconds, eat in minutes shit in hours products.

Now we want to go shopping once a week, get the feel good factor of filling a trolly with "goodies" taking it home and packing it away all done for another week.

How often have you gone to put stuff in the larder and had to stick it somewhere else because the lader is full, how many tins of beans or packets of breakfast cerial did you really need to buy today? The answer is none but you got them anyway with the excuse "won't go to waste"

We see stuff on offer we just cant resist buying things we do not need.

Cheap food is crap but we as a nation of shoppers only have ourself to blame for jumping into the Tesco/Sainsburys trolly and shooting off down the hill for another load of Cheap Crap Food.

just sayin. :6:

Attitude towards food has gone to shit. It's all about whats quick and tasty as opposed to whats nutritional and good for you. We don't have to hunt and gather now, or cook for ourselves, that breeds the attitudes we have towards it. When i see people taking their kids to MacDonalds i cant understand it.

If you eat properly nowadays you get labeled a health freak. Its not "health food" its just normal to not eat shit and get sick. Roast chicken is healthy, kfc is not. But we have a mindset where everything that isn't a salad is not considered healthy. Health is about nutrition not being on a diet.

Although when you think about it all food should be health food, that's the point of it. Its amazing when i go through a period of not caring, just eating fried shit i feel like a bag of crap, soon as i get used to proper food again i feel better and more alert.

Changed the title actually.

Cheap food is not crap.

Cheap PROCESSED food is.

Cheap: the right cuts of meat (or have decent and eat less) fresh veg, some fruit, rice (even brown isn't too dear) a good amount of tinned veg/fruit is ok priced. Frozen veg all ok.

SO much nice stuff can be cooked from that.

Instead people buy chemical and sugar filled over processed stuff that is of no use to the body and worse, some of it is actually harmful.

Even during the war with rations, a lot of people ate better than 'we all' do now (not me, I don't buy ready meals and rarely have much processed stuff!)

I think people should be free to eat what they like. If they want to eat a turd in a bun for 20p then let them. As long as it is clearly labelled a turd in a bun.

Even a turd in a bun doesn`t cost 20p.
I wonder how well they`d sell if they were to advertise them as a load of shitty left over meat slapped in some stale baps with watered down,but matured 3 year old red sauce,garnished with the tiniest piece of lettuce you`ll ever see and a gherkin slice squashed in between.
All squashed together with our own unwashed hands,just after a fag,so it`s easier for you to get down your fat,greedy necks.
Mmmmmm sounds lovely doesn`t it.
I actually feel a bit sickly when i walk past those burger vans down the Villa.

Totally agree Wurzel, not suggesting they aren't free to do so mate, but no good them crying about the fact they are eating crap and for those that become obese/ill... don't say you weren't warned (but education needs to educate ie warn first and that is where it all falls down I think)

Totally and utterly agree, up to the individual if they want to eat well or kill themselves with chemical ladened shite though.

col8 - 19/2/2013 22:39

Part of the problem is "were lazy" our parents (I'm 55) used to shop every day at the local corner shop for their daily shopping. Spuds, carrots all the veggies tinned pea's and meat were bought home into the kitchen and cooked, we never had a fridge full of stuff going out of date! There were no freezers full of meat, fish and other defrost in seconds, eat in minutes shit in hours products.

Now we want to go shopping once a week, get the feel good factor of filling a trolly with "goodies" taking it home and packing it away all done for another week.

How often have you gone to put stuff in the larder and had to stick it somewhere else because the lader is full, how many tins of beans or packets of breakfast cerial did you really need to buy today? The answer is none but you got them anyway with the excuse "won't go to waste"

Cheap food is crap but we as a nation of shoppers only have ourself to blame for jumping into the Tesco/Sainsburys trolly and shooting off down the hill for another load of Cheap Crap Food.

Your parents weren't both working.

When I was in primary school my mother was at home but the recession and what not forced her back to work so in secondary school I used to cook for myself when I got home. By 'cook' I mean reheat some frozen processed crap, obviously.

She never really had time for proper cooking after that only on weekends.

The Fear - 20/2/2013 01:08

Totally agree Wurzel, not suggesting they aren't free to do so mate, but no good them crying about the fact they are eating crap and for those that become obese/ill... don't say you weren't warned (but education needs to educate ie warn first and that is where it all falls down I think)

Totally and utterly agree, up to the individual if they want to eat well or kill themselves with chemical ladened shite though.

In fairness to those who think eating fast food is a 'treat', they have been deliberately mislead into being confused on the issue. Every McDonald's has posters up about how wonderfully fresh their ingredients are and how they only use 100% beef.

BodyButter - 19/2/2013 16:09

col8 - 19/2/2013 22:39

Your parents weren't both working.

When I was in primary school my mother was at home but the recession and what not forced her back to work so in secondary school I used to cook for myself when I got home. By 'cook' I mean reheat some frozen processed crap, obviously.

She never really had time for proper cooking after that only on weekends.

My Mom worked as soon as the 4th child was off her tit. Recession! you should have tried living in the back to back houses in Rodway Street, 3 tier, 2 rooms over a single down stairs room. One tap, one fire place, shithouse up the yard.......

My parents were both working apart from when Dad fell off the scaffolding and smashed his ribs into his lungs, then we had fucking less.....

I wont go on but Im sure theres a few on here who remember "The Old End" in all its glory and will not want to remember what slumlife was really like.