Chatham Town | Page 5 | Vital Football

Chatham Town

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
Good effort. My twitter feed is fully of local bars and restaurants doing the same.

I think its touched a nerve following on so quickly from the Eat Out to Help Out scheme. As one twitter post said "Rishi has got the money so you can get 50% off a cheeky nandos but not for the hungry kids".

Hopefully this will do for the Tories what student fees did for the Lib Dems at the next election. Although as someone who is a Lib Dem at heart that's a bit strange to write.

I know the Tories will point to "universal Credit" as their solution. Thankfully never had to do it, but if its anything like contacting HMRC then it won't be straightforward for the average person to follow.

I think its touched a nerve following on so quickly from the Eat Out to Help Out scheme. As one twitter post said "Rishi has got the money so you can get 50% off a cheeky nandos but not for the hungry kids".

That's a bit of an unfair way of looking at it though. You could quite easily replace "so you can get 50% off a cheeky Nandos" with "to save a shedload of restaurants from going out of business".

I'm no fan of the Tories, and in no way attempting to justify them not finding the money for these kids' meals, but it does seem a bit harsh to criticise them for not feeding hungry kids by pointing out that they managed to find the money to try to prevent a load of small businesses from going under. God knows there's enough other stuff they've found money for that they can justifiably be criticised for.

That's a bit of an unfair way of looking at it though. You could quite easily replace "so you can get 50% off a cheeky Nandos" with "to save a shedload of restaurants from going out of business".

I guess its about where to prioritise spending public funds.

There are no easy answers in this pandemic.

As a dad I would have been heartbroken if I couldn't have fed my kids. I know some parents make poor choices but as a big world economic power no child should go to school hungry. We aren't a third world country.

When we review the expenses of those MPs who voted not to feed desperate kids thats the issue I struggle with. Communities will fill some of the gaps but that is letting MPs off the hook

I guess its about where to prioritise spending public funds.

There are no easy answers in this pandemic.

As a dad I would have been heartbroken if I couldn't have fed my kids. I know some parents make poor choices but as a big world economic power no child should go to school hungry. We aren't a third world country.

When we review the expenses of those MPs who voted not to feed desperate kids thats the issue I struggle with. Communities will fill some of the gaps but that is letting MPs off the hook
Tory MPs have come back saying the vote was redundant since they already voted to transfer the programme to local Councils with the funding available, and then it’s down to the councils to choose whether they want to consider it.

I’d personally like to see proof of when that agreement was made and more details, but would like to believe yesterday’s vote was more than the usual ‘Tories are so bad they’ll eat your children’ fare - there had to be some logic.

The fact that we even have to discuss this in the 21st century in a very rich country is the real stain on this country.

Worth remembering that the MPs claim £25 a day in food expenses from the tax payers, on top of a good salary and many of them have other jobs on top. They then say parents should budget better.

I've read a few replies from MPs that said they voted against it as it came from Labour. They said it was political mischief as this type of motion always are from both sides. Its shameful if any party try to make political capital from hungry kids.

They will claim that parents should budget better and there will be truth in that but its missing the point that innocent kids are hungry. My wife's a primary teacher in Gillingham she sees it.

Medway are giving free school meals to children, and Kelly has made a statement about the reason for her vote.

Medway are giving free school meals to children, and Kelly has made a statement about the reason for her vote.

Good to hear LSB. Marcus Rushford must be a shoe in for sports personality this year. I personally believe that the profile he has given this topic is forcing government/local councils to take action. The answer we dont know is whether they would have done so without him.

Charities having to step in is a failure of government though. In my opinion of course.

Good to hear LSB. Marcus Rushford must be a shoe in for sports personality this year. I personally believe that the profile he has given this topic is forcing government/local councils to take action. The answer we dont know is whether they would have done so without him.

Charities having to step in is a failure of government though. In my opinion of course.

You are right, and no child should go hungry. Lots of people blame the parents, but that is shifting blame. We as a society should make sure kids are fed to a decent standard. Also, I think that no one should be homeless in this day and age. I don't care why people are homeless, but we should make sure that have the basics in life. These people obviously need help, and shouldn't just be fobbed off with them being blamed as to why they are homeless, just help them!

Some parents are to blame, its about distinguishing between the genuine parents that can't afford to feed their kids and genuinely need help and the ones that just 'milk' the system. There are plenty of parents at my daughters school who say they struggle to afford to feed their kids and claim free school meals but then openly admit they go to McDonalds for dinner more than once a week and then stand outside school smoking.

No child should be hungry or live in poverty but that is a responsibility of the parents as well as the government.

Some parents are to blame, its about distinguishing between the genuine parents that can't afford to feed their kids and genuinely need help and the ones that just 'milk' the system. There are plenty of parents at my daughters school who say they struggle to afford to feed their kids and claim free school meals but then openly admit they go to McDonalds for dinner more than once a week and then stand outside school smoking.

No child should be hungry or live in poverty but that is a responsibility of the parents as well as the government.

I know some parents are to blame, but it's not the kids fault they have scummy parents. We have to make sure their kids eat decent food, because we know their parents won't.

I know some parents are to blame, but it's not the kids fault they have scummy parents. We have to make sure their kids eat decent food, because we know their parents won't.

Don't disagreement all. The question is how, if it all, can you change the mindset of some parents. Sadly I don't think you can in a lot of cases and some parents will always think having the latest phone, fags or McDonalds twice a week is far more important than their kid eating a decent meal. The problem with a lot of our countries problems is the parents, not the kids.

The fact that we even have to discuss this in the 21st century in a very rich country is the real stain on this country.

Worth remembering that the MPs claim £25 a day in food expenses from the tax payers, on top of a good salary and many of them have other jobs on top. They then say parents should budget better.

I've read a few replies from MPs that said they voted against it as it came from Labour. They said it was political mischief as this type of motion always are from both sides. Its shameful if any party try to make political capital from hungry kids.

They will claim that parents should budget better and there will be truth in that but its missing the point that innocent kids are hungry. My wife's a primary teacher in Gillingham she sees it.

I didn't realise some of my taxes went towards giving MPs £25 a day to just eat. Seems this petition has risen out of that anomaly.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-mps-entitlement-to-free-work-meals?bucket=

Don't disagreement all. The question is how, if it all, can you change the mindset of some parents. Sadly I don't think you can in a lot of cases and some parents will always think having the latest phone, fags or McDonalds twice a week is far more important than their kid eating a decent meal. The problem with a lot of our countries problems is the parents, not the kids.
McDonalds is unhealthy fast food but it’s also reasonably cheap, depending on what you order and vouchers. Don’t underestimate how expensive veg is in the supermarkets.