Charlton | Vital Football

Charlton

HarrowGill

Vital Youth Team
Make no mistake- if we manage anything less than a win on Tuesday, then this will surely be the game that defines Pennock's future managerial career at the Gills. He is now statistically the worst manager in Gillingham's history- worse than Glenny 'sucked a horse's p*n*s!' Roeder.

For one thing, this fixture is our only local-ish derby this season, they'll bring 2,500 away fans (with a few in the home end), there will be a few more home fans than usual so there should be a 7,500+ crowd. Scally will likely be at the game, has historically never been fond of Charlton nor their Kent-based fans, and neither are we (given their rather overt attempt to encourage Gills fans to swell their ranks at The Valley should we have gone under during the dark days during administration).

Defeat on Saturday could thus prove the final straw, unless we secure an unlikely win in Kingston/Norbiton on Tuesday.

Surely, fate must dictate then that Saturday might prove to be our first ever league victory over Charlton?! :44:

I can see eleven pairs of blue shorts being tugged to the floor followed by GFC Leisure embroidered pants. A pummelling is due and Pennock is going to feel it. :12:

You don't need to hype up this game for me. Whatever happens on Tuesday they will be mocking us from the Brian Moore. Beating them will be the only way to shut the cockney cowboys up.

Ps I know they don't come from Hersham.
Pps or Kent!

Even before a ball was kicked this season, I have expected defeat in this Saturday's Charlton game. We do not have a squad of similar quality, nor do we have a club of similar financial standing. I can't understand why so many on here expect to beat anyone that we have so far played with our squad.
We are a lower table club that needs lots of money injected into it before any manager - Kenny Jacket included - can start beating the likes of Bradford, Reading, Doncaster or Shrewsbury. With a bit of luck on our side, we might have achieved more points to date, but really the expectations on here are a bit like listening to Manure fans.

Are you serious? The likes of Doncaster and Shrewsbury? FFS, if we can't expect a reasonable chance of 3 points at home to fucking Shrewsbury then we may as well stop the season now and apply for immediate relegation.

I fear the worst and if so, it will time to be looking for a new gaffer

This cannot continue much longer.

HerrLjunga - 11/9/2017 08:00

Are you serious? The likes of Doncaster and Shrewsbury? FFS, if we can't expect a reasonable chance of 3 points at home to fucking Shrewsbury then we may as well stop the season now and apply for immediate relegation.

You do realise fucking Shrewsbury are top of the fucking league?

Unlikely they'll stay there but to dismiss them so readily is a bit manurish.

Razorpound you've gone too far the other way.

Bloody hell. When did our fans turn into wannabe premiership fans? Too much Sky TV, expecting instant success and "we should be beating..." bollocks. Forget 2000-2005, that was a freak, just like Huddersfield and Brighton in the premiership (analogy so you'll understand). We're a mid-table League One team at best. Sooner you post 2000 JCLs realise that the better. The realists amongst us will start to worry come the end of October. By then we will have played a few teams similar to us and then we can judge how we're faring. Not how we've done against top six sides who've spent a fair bit more than us.

To be fair everyone just wants us to be showing that we are a League one outfit and people are just panicking. The season is a long one and everyone one of us would have settled for mid table at the start of August, no we are no where near that at present but although far from happy with the start lets just keep calm until the middle of next month then see where we are - Hopefully up the table if not maybe then start to PANICK :6:

nibbles - 11/9/2017 08:14

HerrLjunga - 11/9/2017 08:00

You do realise fucking Shrewsbury are top of the fucking league?

Unlikely they'll stay there but to dismiss them so readily is a bit manurish.

Razorpound you've gone too far the other way.

I couldn't care less where Shrewsbury are. My point remains that if we cannot expect a reasonable chance (note not "should be beating") of 3 points at home to most of the sides in this division then we're in a bit of a mess. That's not Manurish, it's not even overly ambitous, it should be the basic minimum to be vaguely competitive in the division you're in especially at home, if not, what's the point?

I'm no post-2000 JCL either, I've sat through the early 90's (admittedly as a kid) but if Razorpound doesn't give us a prayer against all the sides he's listed, who exactly are we meant to be able to get points off?

RotherhithGill, 1929 was our last league victory over them. A bit before my time. I was there for the victory in the FA Cup game though. My 1st Gills match was v Charlton in 1980.

COYG

https://www.11v11.com/teams/charlton-athletic/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Gillingham/