Charlton Tomorrow - Shirley in Doubt? | Page 9 | Vital Football

Charlton Tomorrow - Shirley in Doubt?

Agree with all of that. That shocking slice by Jackson near the end nearly led to an equaliser for them. He was exposed a lot but hapless anyway.
3 well struck goals.

Did my eyes deceive me. I could have sworn Akinde (?) crashed the ball against the bar, seconds before Dempsey scored but the commentator said it was blocked.
Agree with all of that. That shocking slice by Jackson near the end nearly led to an equaliser for them. He was exposed a lot but hapless anyway.
3 well struck goals.

Did my eyes deceive me. I could have sworn Akinde (?) crashed the ball against the bar, seconds before Dempsey scored but the commentator said it was blocked.

Commentator mistakenly said it was a save, it wasn`t a save, it was a goal attempt that hit the crossbar.

For me 13 points off safety

That's how I always used to feel but although I am still not a fan of BFSE, I always feel he will make sure we have enough to stay up.

Even when we lost 5 in a row earlier this season, and even if we had lost today following a 3-0 loss last week, I do feel that Evans knows what he is doing and any team of his will always be organised enough to stay out of trouble.

We definitely hit the bar in the build up to Dempseys winner, I thought it was Lee, but I didn't have my glasses on some could've been Stevie Wonder.

That's how I always used to feel but although I am still not a fan of BFSE, I always feel he will make sure we have enough to stay up.

Even when we lost 5 in a row earlier this season, and even if we had lost today following a 3-0 loss last week, I do feel that Evans knows what he is doing and any team of his will always be organised enough to stay out of trouble.

One thing we currently are not is organised. SE did a good job getting us defensively sound last season but this season we are not.

I enjoyed that today. It wasn't our best performance, but who cares if we take 3 points? Arguably we played better last week v Lincoln but lost 3-0.

Overall though we battled well. Bowyer came out with a comment at the start saying that we play with a "certain style" and they would deal with it, which I presume meant that he feels we play ugly long ball and they play lovely flowing football. The former may be true, but as far as I could see, Charlton played no good football at all and both of their goals came as a result of bad clearances and defending in general with not a lot of quality about them, whereas all three of our goals were beauties and technically excellently executed.

Analysing our performance, I thought our defensive show was pretty poor. I don't think Charlton were great going forward, but we looked disorganised and a bit all over the place. I thought the midfield set-up looked good though - excellent given that we were without Graham and Slattery - Lee and Dempsey are class and the two Os were good too, albet O'Keefe's poor clearance for the first goal was a disaster. Best of all, I thought the two big lads up top put in a fantastic shifts despite not scoring themselves. They caused all sorts of problems - I'd love to see us go with that format going forward - with the likes of Lee, Dempsey and Graham feeding them, it could be an amazing threat.

A word for the Charlton commentary. I didn't think that the female commentator was great - she said a lot of stupid and obvious things. However, the guy beside her, Paul Mortimer, wads excellent. I remmeber him as a good player for the Addicks, but he talked a lot of sense and generally seemed to nail most things during the game. To be fair both he and the female commentator showed no particular bias compared to some of the northern degenerates we've encountered this season.

What a cracking game and result! Not the best defensively, but I think that shows that we're missing Slattery already, but I'll take an away win against the spotters all day long, however it comes and we deserved that. We've seriously pissed off a lot of teams and their supporters this season and if we can't get promotion that's the next best thing. Three cracking goals and I thought Akinde turned in a decent performance. Jackson though was poor. Got pulled out of position a lot and I reckon he made panicky half clearances on at least three occasions that put us into trouble. Finally something maybe a bit controversial. Obviously Graham is our best player, but imho, I cant help but think that we seem to set up better without him. We look more rounded rather than lop sided and for all his dominance on the wing we rarely seem to capitalise on his attacking prowess.

We definitely hit the bar in the build up to Dempseys winner, I thought it was Lee, but I didn't have my glasses on some could've been Stevie Wonder.
Yes it was definitely Lee who smashed an effort against the bar, the female commentator said it had been saved but if it was it was only fingertips onto the bar.

Finally something maybe a bit controversial. Obviously Graham is our best player, but imho, I cant help but think that we seem to set up better without him. We look more rounded rather than lop sided and for all his dominance on the wing we rarely seem to capitalise on his attacking prowess.
Yep , I agree with that.
Whether we could accommodate all three in the side , and mix two styles , I'm not sure.

What a cracking game and result! Not the best defensively, but I think that shows that we're missing Slattery already, but I'll take an away win against the spotters all day long, however it comes and we deserved that. We've seriously pissed off a lot of teams and their supporters this season and if we can't get promotion that's the next best thing. Three cracking goals and I thought Akinde turned in a decent performance. Jackson though was poor. Got pulled out of position a lot and I reckon he made panicky half clearances on at least three occasions that put us into trouble. Finally something maybe a bit controversial. Obviously Graham is our best player, but imho, I cant help but think that we seem to set up better without him. We look more rounded rather than lop sided and for all his dominance on the wing we rarely seem to capitalise on his attacking prowess.

Absolutely agree with regard to Jordan Graham, I have said previously that everything has to go through him yet today without him we did seem more balanced I cannot argue with that just agree

Absolutely agree with regard to Jordan Graham, I have said previously that everything has to go through him yet today without him we did seem more balanced I cannot argue with that just agree
I'm another in this camp. We are too predictable in that he goes outside and sticks it up to the far post. He is a very good player and I wouldn't be without him but we have been effective playing differently

I think we all know that we will lose Conner in the Summer and for that I am gutted, but would just like to state fair play to PDPS and SE that I would rather see Connor see the season out than him go in January for a fee. That goal today will live with me for a long time to come

Sadly, I think we're on for a major summer rebuild. Ogilvie, Graham and Dempsey will surely all be off to bigger and better things, maybe a few others too.

I enjoyed that today. It wasn't our best performance, but who cares if we take 3 points? Arguably we played better last week v Lincoln but lost 3-0.

Overall though we battled well. Bowyer came out with a comment at the start saying that we play with a "certain style" and they would deal with it, which I presume meant that he feels we play ugly long ball and they play lovely flowing football. The former may be true, but as far as I could see, Charlton played no good football at all and both of their goals came as a result of bad clearances and defending in general with not a lot of quality about them, whereas all three of our goals were beauties and technically excellently executed.

Analysing our performance, I thought our defensive show was pretty poor. I don't think Charlton were great going forward, but we looked disorganised and a bit all over the place. I thought the midfield set-up looked good though - excellent given that we were without Graham and Slattery - Lee and Dempsey are class and the two Os were good too, albet O'Keefe's poor clearance for the first goal was a disaster. Best of all, I thought the two big lads up top put in a fantastic shifts despite not scoring themselves. They caused all sorts of problems - I'd love to see us go with that format going forward - with the likes of Lee, Dempsey and Graham feeding them, it could be an amazing threat.

A word for the Charlton commentary. I didn't think that the female commentator was great - she said a lot of stupid and obvious things. However, the guy beside her, Paul Mortimer, wads excellent. I remmeber him as a good player for the Addicks, but he talked a lot of sense and generally seemed to nail most things during the game. To be fair both he and the female commentator showed no particular bias compared to some of the northern degenerates we've encountered this season.
Good summary.
Agreed commentator unbiased and Mortimer was excellent.

Sadly, I think we're on for a major summer rebuild. Ogilvie, Graham and Dempsey will surely all be off to bigger and better things, maybe a few others too.

Agree about Ogilvie and Dempsey but, although I love him as a player, it will be interesting to see what sort of offer Graham receives, as he was dogged by injuries before he came here and is now on at least his third spell out with injury since joining us permanently in the summer.

At a time of such low resources everywhere due to Covid, he would be a prime candidate for an initial pay as you play contract elsewhere. Would he accept that?