Charlton & Lincoln Linked With Leeds United Youngster | Page 2 | Vital Football

Charlton & Lincoln Linked With Leeds United Youngster

Ten minutes with a few glimpses of him here as Leeds stretched arsenal to the limit for 45 minutes.

his impish size, and running style reminded me of Morrell... hope he can match Morrell’ s quality and consistency

Seems on paper to be a very good signing. Lots of competition for places in midfield to keep players on their toes

Think we are done for incomings now but might see a couple going out before 5pm tomorrow

Seems on paper to be a very good signing. Lots of competition for places in midfield to keep players on their toes

Think we are done for incomings now but might see a couple going out before 5pm tomorrow
not sure we had/have lots of competition in central midfield for the formation we are currently playing. we do have lots of competition in the wide areas.
three places in central midfield.
current 1st choice central midfielders: bridcutt, jones, mcgrandles
other central midfielders: (grant?) edun, gotts. (bradley - injured isn't he?)

current 1st choice wingers / attacking wide men (2 places): Grant, Anderson
others: Brennan j, scully, howarth, archibald, elbouzedi

central striker: Hopper
other striker: Soule

central striker is still the big question mark. presume we will be keeping our fingers crossed, or hoping morton recovers sooner rather than later.

Nothing but huge praise for him as a player on twitter from the Leeds fans. Looks like MA and the scouting team have got in another very good young signing. Will be interesting to see where we play him.

Welcome, Robbie. As nlondonimp said there isn't actually that much competition for places in CM since we're playing three there. This lad should provide another good option there, plus I would assume RB cover if needed. Sounds like a great signing and hope he gets his chance to impress (seems likely he will).

Think he'll get in as a cm rather than wide. Saw him play for Leeds v arsenal last year and thought he was a bit raw but definitely was trying to do bits.

Will fit in well I think based on style!

Also have we got any sort of link with Leeds? Heard that we were meant to have a friendly with them but they were short on bodies (not sure if that was widely reported)! And I could see the passing and pressing style being a positive

If someone like bielsa rates him as a top quality number 8, I imagine that is where he is lined up to play. serious competition for Jones/mcgrandles - they both seem to play as our number 8? )))

From his interview, it sounds like we were relative gatecrashers / latecomers to the party in terms of signing him.

I have been reading a few things online, and it is clear that a loan move was on the cards for him a couple of months ago but never materialised for some reason. There have been plenty of clubs interested - Hull, Sunderland, Charlton, Huddersfield, Swindon and Doncaster from recent reports - but he has only moved the day before the window closes. It sounds as if Bielsa was reluctant to let him go - he has named Gotts in his matchday squad 40 times to date (three appearances as substitute), so obviously rates him highly.

Last edited:
It's also worth saying that 8 slot is a pretty high energy one - Grant has fit in more as a CDM but expecting Jones and Mcgrandles to play 50 games is tough

May be a little OTT but some of the Leeds fans reckon he will be one of the best CMs in the entire division.

If someone like bielsa rates him as a top quality number 8, I imagine that is where he is lined up to play. serious competition for Jones/mcgrandles - they both seem to play as our number 8? )))
From Bielsa's comments, he sounds like a closer match for McGrandles - Jones is more a box-to-box midfielder than a centre circle operator.

Whoohoo! He's very good apparently.
Huddersfield Town fan at work was convinced he was going there.
Town fan - "why would he choose Lincoln over Huddersfield?"
Leeds fan - "Maybe 'cos they play better football and aren't bottom of the league." Ouch. :ROFLMAO:

And because they have a stable, sensible, boardroom and manager, both of which are certain to be at the club longer than the loan deal is for.

If he was right on the cusp of the Leeds first team and there was such competition to sign him, surely he will be starting regularly. Maybe the plan is for him to be RB and Eyoma at CB ?
With the next few weeks being a series of 2 league games a week, the team will be rotated and MA is raising the standard of players he can choose from. 'First choice' is irrelevant. I can see Jones, McGrandles and Gotts each getting 4 starts in the next 6, plenty of match time for all of them.