Charlton game thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

Charlton game thread

And every season that would be correct, nothing is decided in Aug or maybe you believe it is I don’t know but just seems odd to me that you are so down on your own team.
Give us a break!

I'm not down on my team, I go to pretty much every game I can, and have done since 1979, and will continue to do so. But I'm not going to make shit up and dress up poor performances every year. I'm tired of that.

When the fixtures were announced, most people said it was a tough opening and that we would struggle for points. We haven't.

Yet.

I would be impressed if we didn't lose the next two. Preston always seem to beat us at the CG these days and Fulham are the strongest team in the division in years. Anything other than two defeats will be a good return IMO

I don't expect us to be sitting on an impressive points tally after 6 games.

But we will have got the two hardest away games of the season and a couple of bogey teams at home (West Brom and Preston) out of the way

You seriously dont think weve struggled?

Have we struggled anymore than we did under any of our recent managers? I personally think given the ridiculously incompetent scattergun recruitment he's being forced to work with that prioritising solidity is sensible. We've also been denied Carvalho so far, lets wait for 6 months and see where we are then.

we have been shit and were shit in this game and lucky again. Even our own manager spelled it out, he literally said we were lucky and shit lmao.. At least he can see that more than some of the funny folk in here

We have been poor in 2 first half periods and had a dreadful keeper for the WBA game. Leeds second half we were good, Charlton we were much improved, I wouldn't say good, but certainly not shit.

Fulham and Preston. What would peoples point tally need to be to actually get behind the team?

Here's your post:
Red Bread said:

Not having a go Hardy but you’ve said the same thing for a couple of weeks, it’s not luck in my view, last night we had to contend with a bad ref and only playing for 45 mins.

Worrall and daws kept us in it with good play, more than harsh to to say it’s lucky!
We were ‘unlucky’ in that we should have had a pen and they possibly could have been down to 10 men!
At the end I was a bit disappointed we didn’t get a winner!

You clearly claim we were unlucky in your argument, should have had a penalty and they should have been down to 10 men!
I'm pointing out that when I said that to you about the Leeds game, you wouldn't have it, yet here you are using the reverse argument to try and prove we were unlucky.

Clearly I don’t say that, I’m responding to you with an alternate view, if you had not said we were lucky I would not have said we were not.

As I’ve said before we can’t have a sensible discussion on what if or could have it’s pointless. We can only comment on facts post match otherwise it’s a waste of time.

+1

Performances haven't been perfect but there have been some green shoots. With another new manager and another overhaul of the squad, what else do people expect?

I expect the manager to be fired in a few months regardless of whatever level of promise or progress is shown, followed by another change in direction, another overhaul in squad and another few million quid down the drain.

Even though I don't see the games I keep up with all the comments and not just on vital either. It's obvious to me that we're making progress and this manager is an improvement on what we've had lately. That being the case I'd expect our owner to use his brain and give this coach a bit of time to get us up into the Premier League.
We just might be in for a treat.

For Brice Samba's confidence, and therefore the good of the team going forward (tory knuckle and power stance), we need to start putting him on the pitch. I really don't care if it means Muric has to go elsewhere to get gametime. That's City's affair, not ours.

We have been poor in 2 first half periods and had a dreadful keeper for the WBA game. Leeds second half we were good, Charlton we were much improved, I wouldn't say good, but certainly not shit.

Fulham and Preston. What would peoples point tally need to be to actually get behind the team?

And this is with a squad of new players (can't even call them a team yet - as they do look disjointed at times) for a new manager, with a different style.

Unfortunately, it's always the same with unrealistic expectations.... we've got points at Leeds & Charlton, both good points - ok we lost at home to WBA, but 2 howlers caused that.

Give it time, some positive signs and some decent signings.

Clearly I don’t say that, I’m responding to you with an alternate view, if you had not said we were lucky I would not have said we were not.

As I’ve said before we can’t have a sensible discussion on what if or could have it’s pointless. We can only comment on facts post match otherwise it’s a waste of time.

We were that lucky, that we didn't get a penalty and the Charlton player didn't even get booked?! Bowyer conveniently ignored that fact... yes we rode our luck to some extent but that happens in football.

They scored one, Muric made some good saves, Dawson & co made some great tackles and when their intensity inevitably started to dip, we came into the game.

Charlton have a fantastic home record, they have momentum and a good coach.

We scored one and probably should have scored at least 1 more and that's without the nailed on penalty Langford missed.

1-1 in the record books - hope we get the same tomorrow.

And this is with a squad of new players (can't even call them a team yet - as they do look disjointed at times) for a new manager, with a different style.

Unfortunately, it's always the same with unrealistic expectations.... we've got points at Leeds & Charlton, both good points - ok we lost at home to WBA, but 2 howlers caused that.

Give it time, some positive signs and some decent signings.

Tbf Charlton had to replace most of their squad on a fraction of our budget. Lamouchi was also pretty clear that we were lucky.

There are positives to the season's start but there are negatives too. Leaving aside the incompetent recruitment how much creativity have we seen so far bar a period where Birmingham had clearly crumbled?

Tbf Charlton had to replace most of their squad on a fraction of our budget. Lamouchi was also pretty clear that we were lucky.

There are positives to the season's start but there are negatives too. Leaving aside the incompetent recruitment how much creativity have we seen so far bar a period where Birmingham had clearly crumbled?
We look a bit like we did when Krankz took over, the major positive I can see is that our squad options are a little better now. Early days and all that though..

We were that lucky, that we didn't get a penalty and the Charlton player didn't even get booked?! Bowyer conveniently ignored that fact... yes we rode our luck to some extent but that happens in football.

They scored one, Muric made some good saves, Dawson & co made some great tackles and when their intensity inevitably started to dip, we came into the game.

Charlton have a fantastic home record, they have momentum and a good coach.

We scored one and probably should have scored at least 1 more and that's without the nailed on penalty Langford missed.

1-1 in the record books - hope we get the same tomorrow.

Can’t argue with any of that ?