Charlie Wyke | Vital Football

Charlie Wyke

A bit of a dilemma for Leam. Want to support a player who has been through a lot emotionally and physically but as we have seen with Christian Eriksen, is taking a step backwards the best option? Most of team will be increasing tempo and training to get up to new Championship level. Charlie is playing catch up on many levels. Would be great story though if he succeeds.

Didn't Wyke put out a statement near the end of last season regarding his fitness?
Saying he was being monitored and had been doing fitness work but had been told to rest until pre season to let his body recover and now he's good to go.

There's something about that statement that troubles me...I just don't understand what moving forward at the speed he wants to means. If it was my lad I'd tell him call it a day and enjoy the rest of your life. If it's in his head he's knackered.
Yes I read the sub text in this statement.

I took it as Wyke getting better, the club not pushing him.
There must be a lot of stuff going on in his head and an understandable fear on his part.

You might consider, if his Doctors had said there is no chance of playing again he would not be training.

I concede there may be a process for him and the club to follow, to initiate the insurance policies that kick in when a player retires due to injury / ilhealth

From a personal point of view I hope he recovers fulll and can continue his career.

From a ruthless perspective, which football can be ruthless game. We have a lad, on 10 grand a week, with no championship pedigree, who we are not sure will ever play again never mind to any standard that will benefit the club. I understand he has a contract and while that exists we have to honour that. But some tough conversations and a possible pay up may be best option for all depending how things progress and at what pace

No one knows for sure if Wyke will be able to fully recover. I think it's just the player being keen to get back to normal and the club talking every precaution to ensure that any risk is minimised.

I think Wyke's injury causing him to miss half of preseason is just slowing the process down and he's playing catch up.

No one knows for sure if Wyke will be able to fully recover. I think it's just the player being keen to get back to normal and the club talking every precaution to ensure that any risk is minimised.

I think Wyke's injury causing him to miss half of preseason is just slowing the process down and he's playing catch up.

But if its in his head king he's going to struggle. What was that twinge ? Why am I out of breath?.. is that just fatigue or something else ?.. all questions without an answer in his head.

Will he push himself to the limit or just 80%, 75%, 65% or does he go full throttle knowing any little setback is the end of the road. Will the crowd be understanding when he fails to get on the end of a cross because he appears to be going half hearted at it ?

Its life v death as opposed to living as near to normal life for the next 50 years.

It's a no brainer.

But if its in his head king he's going to struggle. What was that twinge ? Why am I out of breath?.. is that just fatigue or something else ?.. all questions without an answer in his head.

Will he push himself to the limit or just 80%, 75%, 65% or does he go full throttle knowing any little setback is the end of the road. Will the crowd be understanding when he fails to get on the end of a cross because he appears to be going half hearted at it ?

Its life v death as opposed to living as near to normal life for the next 50 years.

It's a no brainer.
I'm not sure that's 100% true with the mentality of footballers, they've got a very short time to stamp thier mark... unless they hit sky/bbc as a pundit and after that it gets a lot lot harder

From a personal point of view I hope he recovers fulll and can continue his career.

From a ruthless perspective, which football can be ruthless game. We have a lad, on 10 grand a week, with no championship pedigree, who we are not sure will ever play again never mind to any standard that will benefit the club. I understand he has a contract and while that exists we have to honour that. But some tough conversations and a possible pay up may be best option for all depending how things progress and at what pace
I may have spoken too soon. A very encouraging run out

Excellent reception for him coming on as sub today.....held the ball up well & great assist for the goal. Hopefully starts next week at home n another good performance under his belt.

Yes I read the sub text in this statement.

I took it as Wyke getting better, the club not pushing him.
There must be a lot of stuff going on in his head and an understandable fear on his part.

You might consider, if his Doctors had said there is no chance of playing again he would not be training.

I concede there may be a process for him and the club to follow, to initiate the insurance policies that kick in when a player retires due to injury / ilhealth
Well he looked OK today.
At the end of the game his team mates tried to push him towards the fans chanting his name, he was having none of it.