Charles Vernam signs | Page 5 | Vital Football

Charles Vernam signs

Would we? The head it and kick it player would still have been expected to receive the ball on the edge of his own box, beat any press and pass it to one of his team mates which as we often witnessed in MA’s first season in charge often ended in calamity. We were bad enough at it last season with ball playing centre backs, let alone a hoofer.

nothing wrong with a good hoof every now and again!

Well we already have O'CONNOR sorted out before he even kicks a ball for us.
Apparently he can only head and kick the ball he cannot pass or run.
Perhaps if we give the guy a chance and see what he can actually do first before we write him off. Might be a good idea?

Not really seen anyone writing him off, it's just more of a style comment. Maybe he'll be like prime Beckenbauer when we watch him but it seems more likely he's a solid defender who does the basics, unless every Bradford fan is mistaken. And most don't think that's a bad thing on here!

Good evening all, Bradford fan in peace here. I thought I'd register on here to maybe offer a balanced and fair review on your 2 recent signings you got from us.
I'm sure you've had plenty of bitter/daft comments about them both so don't worry I'm not here for that.
I'll start with POC, strange one really not sure if he's up to L1 level, yes he got player of the season but tbh that was down to his bravery to never shirk a challenge, he was never injured unlike the rest of the failures on our books, so he was voted for this rather than his football ability. Having said that I do like him and wanted him to stay as his grit and determination is vital for lower league football, on the downside though he his a red card waiting to happen and his lack of pace does him no favours. Good defenders can get around this problem though with experience and he's at a good age to possibly do just that, could go either way.
Charles Vernam was the only 1 out of our 3 main out of contract players I was bothered about losing, POC and Watt I think we could improve on but I struggled to see us improving on CV. He's very comfortable on the ball, always trying to take his man on, very good high end L2 player without doubt, his downside is his final product, he'd many of time do all the hard work and then put it in the stands, but having said that if he didn't have that deficiency he wouldn't have been with us as he'd possibly be in the Championship. Very good footballer could kick on and become a real asset. I must admit though after a brief period of doom at his departure I was pleasantly shocked at us replacing CV with Harry Chapman as that looks one hell of a replacement.
I'm interested to follow both their progression with you as I liked both players and on here looks like the place to do that.
Good luck with this upcoming season and hopefully we'll join you season after.

Thanks
Minty
If you're replacing Vernam with Chapman, aren't you doing it wrong - Chapman is a central midfielder isn't he?!

Well we already have O'CONNOR sorted out before he even kicks a ball for us.
Apparently he can only head and kick the ball he cannot pass or run.
Perhaps if we give the guy a chance and see what he can actually do first before we write him off. Might be a good idea?
He has already said that he isn't as bad with the ball as is being reported. Poor bugger is already on the back foot before kicking (or heading!) a ball.

the new fitness coach, conditioning coach, sprint coach and distribution coach will knock this fella into championship ready shape. hopefully to levels beyond bolgar and more like erm harry maguire. otherwise the model is a bit broken and we will have gone full circle.

If you're replacing Vernam with Chapman, aren't you doing it wrong - Chapman is a central midfielder isn't he?!
Attacking midfielder, wide midfielder, number 10, wide man. Anything but a DM player, perfect replacement. A good year at Bradford and other clubs will be queueing up for him.

I don’t believe you can judge a player completely on his past record, and as with anything else there are no hard and fast rules. It’s quite feasible to have a player who can play for two or three clubs at different levels and it just doesn’t click for him. So much depends on the manager and coaches, the style of play, where and how a player is told to play, how he relates to his team-mates, etc etc. which is why I don’t give any player criticism or praise until he has played a number of games for the the Imps. I have the same view as Gratzimp - how many times have we seen players who have come with a great track record bomb out and how many times have we brought on players with relatively unknown or poor track records. I’d even go as far as Jorge Grant - always a decent player but never seemed, to me, to really excel. Yet MA turned him into a superb midfield player, before Posh got their hands on him 🤪

The voice of sensible reason in a sea of unsubstantiated and quite hilarious opinions.

Like you say judge after a few games. Even then a player can flourish or fall way from early season form.

We have to trust the process and the club management until proven one way or the other.

Reflecting on how O'Connor is being described, I wonder if the plans for recruitment in the summer were part of the decision to part ways with Appleton. We must have been talking about signing him going before the end of the season? Head it and kick it centre half whose distrubution isn't great, can't really play a high line etc.

Appleton was his principles of how to play or nothing I think, I don't think you can put that type of player on him really?

It also does point to us changing style I think. I'm wondering if we will want to play forward more quickly at home which has kind of been hinted at.
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head regarding playing style. The below Interview with MA suggested that conversations were taking place.

From Lincolnshire Live website on 16th April.

“It’s clarity. All I ever want and ask for is clarity, transparency, we’ve got to be straight with each other,” Appleton told LincolnshireLive. “We’ll have discussions between now and the end of the season with the likes of Liam, Jez [George, director of football], Clive and decide how we’re going to move forward, how we’re going to do it.

“For me, I came in to do a job, to do a certain model, to play in a certain way, developing players, creating a return on investment in players. I think we’ve started to do that. We’ve got three or four players in the group who have definitely got value. Hopefully, that’s only the start of it. What we don’t want to do is sleepwalk into trouble. It’s my job and the club’s job to make sure that doesn’t happen.”
On the club’s business model going forward, Appleton said: “For me, if we’re not going to continue this model, there’s no point me being here. At the end of the day, there’s more equipped people out there to play in a more pragmatic style than what I do. I’ve got no qualms with that. My so called USP [unique selling point] is a certain type. I think everyone knows that by now. As long as that’s the same, and I can continue to do it in that manner, I’ll be happy.”
That must have been the interview I referred to a few weeks back when I said it came across as result being secondary for MA (not saying that was the case).

In response to Rasen, if we're assuming O'Connor was identified whilst MA was still here, I'm not sure that having a CB who isn't *as* good on the ball as say Walsh or Jackson, is *that* detrimental? I mean, w don't even know how good, bad or indifferent he is but I still think the model can continue, and ultimately, it's generally the midfield and attacking players who get you the top returns.

I'm pretty sure there a few question marks on both sides that ultimately led to an amicable parting of ways rather than necessarily changing the style too much.

That must have been the interview I referred to a few weeks back when I said it came across as result being secondary for MA (not saying that was the case).

In response to Rasen, if we're assuming O'Connor was identified whilst MA was still here, I'm not sure that having a CB who isn't *as* good on the ball as say Walsh or Jackson, is *that* detrimental? I mean, w don't even know how good, bad or indifferent he is but I still think the model can continue, and ultimately, it's generally the midfield and attacking players who get you the top returns.

I'm pretty sure there a few question marks on both sides that ultimately led to an amicable parting of ways rather than necessarily changing the style too much.

I guess I was thinking it seemed like a total disaster when Shackell/Bostwick played under Appleton, I've still got PTSD from Sunderland away. I'd sort of think for MA, everyone has to have a minimum level of being able to play out.

I guess I was thinking it seemed like a total disaster when Shackell/Bostwick played under Appleton, I've still got PTSD from Sunderland away. I'd sort of think for MA, everyone has to have a minimum level of being able to play out.
Yeah, true. Depends where O'Connor is between a Bolger/Bostwick and a Walsh/Jackson I suppose.

*Bolger