Charles-Cook | Vital Football

Charles-Cook

Thanks - an interesting read. He should know what it takes to be successful given sport runs so deeply within the family.

Our friends from Charlton are all moaning they have no pace in the side, they have not learnt from last season. Caskey is out all season and gloom and doom prevails. Like us last season.

Thanks for posting this I may have missed it otherwise.It does seem that Charlton make some poor choices player wise .They possibly develop more players than they need.Let's hope Regan is a big mistake on their part.

And we have made many mistakes too. Romeo? Raggot?
Sean Raggett I think you mean.All clubs make player errors teenagers can be difficult to judge.Ashley Miller really was exceptional as a teenager for example.I was just making the point that it appears Charlton make more errors than most.The next few years could be a real test for the Gillingham management.With so many teenagers picking the right ones could make or break the club.Giving the right ones opportunities is going to be really difficult to start with.

Five boys in the family. Three are now pro or semi-pro and the other two are still too young. That's pretty amazing!
I've a mate whos cousin is Patrick agemang and 2 of his kids are in the same year as my son. Of his 4 kids, 3 are in academys across essex and london, and are head and shoulders above most of the kids in his year. Well they are tiny actually but ability wise.The other is too young yet but I suspect he'll follow the same path.

I think if you've got the genes and also have brothers also into it constantly playing football against one another in the garden, it's a benefit. Was chatting with him the other day. He pays to have one on one technique training for his kids every week. He said pretty much every kid in an academy these days does the same.

The important part of the article is "two younger brothers who aren't
in academies yet" sign them up SL.

It’s easy to assume with hindsight that these players were good, but did they actually show any of this potential while with us? They might have deserved to have been released, or otherwise benefitted from a change of scenery and coaching elsewhere.

It’s easy to assume with hindsight that these players were good, but did they actually show any of this potential while with us? They might have deserved to have been released, or otherwise benefitted from a change of scenery and coaching elsewhere.
Or indeed their motivation may have changed only after being released. Trying to prove someone wrong / being told youre not good enough can do wonders for certain players motivation.

Or indeed their motivation may have changed only after being released. Trying to prove someone wrong / being told youre not good enough can do wonders for certain players motivation.
That's a good point Trev, because when I said to a Charlton mate that they must have a brilliant squad to let these two walk, he had no recollection of either player. So, they obviously did not set the world alight in SE7.

That's a good point Trev, because when I said to a Charlton mate that they must have a brilliant squad to let these two walk, he had no recollection of either player. So, they obviously did not set the world alight in SE7.

It seems to me that neither of them were really given much of a chance at Charlton. They both spent much of their time out on loan.

I do have some worries that the same could happen with us. We have an exceptionally large number of 18 and 19 year old professionals (10 in all) and they could also get forgotten whilst being out on long loans. In a years time several of the 20 year olds may be on their way out but end up having very good careers.

Charlton do produce some exceptional young players (Lookman, Konsa sold to Brentford for £2.5M recently). It is probably very difficult to get noticed there and very easy to look poor by comparison.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...ball-leagues-top-talent-factory-a3474676.html

I also wonder if these players spend too long in the academy. Being at the same academy for 6 or 7 years is possibly not conducive to kicking on. There will be a lot of truth in "Trev"'s comments about motivation.