Charitable Wage Gesture But Should PL Clubs Be Able To Furlough? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Charitable Wage Gesture But Should PL Clubs Be Able To Furlough?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52271235

Spurs reverse decision to furlough non playing staff.

I assume making an embarrassing video to the standard of a primary school pupil production is taking preference over reversing the decision at Norwich.

Just Newcastle Bournemouth and us now.
Doesn't it make you so proud !
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52271235

Spurs reverse decision to furlough non playing staff.

I assume making an embarrassing video to the standard of a primary school pupil production is taking preference over reversing the decision at Norwich.

Just Newcastle Bournemouth and us now.
Doesn't it make you so proud !

There are still some clubs that haven't declared their position.

While in no way supporting NCFC's decision to furlough, I do wonder how many far richer companies are taking advantage of the government scheme. I won't comment on those disgusting companies that simply made their employees redundant. Oh, I did comment+:grinning:

Take your point Rex and agree that footballers have been highlighted more as they are in the public eye. However part of the reason for their obscene wages are due to being in the public eye and taking advantage of that in many cases to earn even more money by appearing in embarrassing adverts.
Of course that may well donate that extra money to charities but on the other hand they may just be very greedy.

In terms of furlough and money for self employment it is the case of doing what you can to avoid taking what others need desperately.

All I can say is that I have not even been contacted by Government anyway but intend to chase clients for money, carry on working as hard as I possibly can and not claim anything and not defer July's tax payment.
Miss DG Juniors company is also not furloughing and as usual the staff are working very long hours to get more work in to keep the staff employed and not take government money.

I just wish the Smiffs and overpaid players at Norwich City had looked after the non playing staff themselves and not taken more of us tax payers money in addition to the money we have already paid to them for games not being played and games 16 months away in addition to the rip off away priority
payments. In my case that adds up to about £ 800.00

I can sleep soundly at night but wonder if the rich owners taking furlough money and players still raking in their obscene wages for doing nothing can, especially when thinking of NHS workers on low wages risking their lives day after day.

Reactions: Rex
This quote from bbc sport web site today says it all about players wages.

No consensus among the Championship 24
Of the 21 Championship clubs who competed in the EFL last season, the latest published accounts for five of them included parachute payments that came with relegation from the Premier League.

In 13 instances out of the remaining 16, the club's wage bills exceeded their income. In their accounts, Reading and Birmingham said there was "material uncertainty" over their ability to exist as a going concern. As is the case for the majority of Championship clubs, they are reliant on funding from their owners.

Is it the fault of clubs trying their best to get into premier league by signing players they should not or players for wanting wages so high they cannot even know what to spend the money on ?

Last edited:
Just us and Newcastle furloughing staff now. Bournemouth have reversed their decision but worth pointing out that the vast majority of their income comes from TV money and their Russian billionaire owner. If they were to get relegated they would be in serious trouble now, what with their 12000 seater stadium.
I‘m still unhappy that we are furloughing non-playing staff. Just a very poor PR decision, doesn’t paint the club in a good light.

As far as I can see the supporters and high profile ex players put pressure on Spurs and Liverpool to reverse furlough decision.
In our case the Smiffs release a pathetic video and nobody seems to even question them at all.
Full houses at Carrow Road and many empty fields of sheep all over Norfolk.

Last edited: