Championship Threatening a Breakaway | Page 2 | Vital Football

Championship Threatening a Breakaway

Spoke with the new Villa CEO last week and he said it wasn't on the table at all re a breakaway league. Said just tough negotiations for the right package for clubs in the championship ongoing.

Confident he wouldn't have said that (he wasn't pressed) if not true.
I’m assuming that’s because the PL have come out and kabooshed any chance of a breakaway league being given promotion places to the PL. That renders any breakaway league immediately DOA. Had the PL been willing to engage in talks then all of a sudden a breakaway league would have become a serious possibility.

Worth monitoring this very closely over the next few days. Should the big fish get their way and the EFL do not sign that TV deal with Sky then all of a sudden we face the scenario of going into next season with a reduced TV deal or even worse without one altogether. Needless to say that would be an absolute financial disaster for Latics whose majority of yearly income is from their cut of the Sky TV deal. Would IEC have the money to bail us out and make up the shortfall? And even if they did, that could put us in serious danger of breaching FFP due to the losses incurred from any loss of revenue from not having a strong TV deal.

I think a shortened deal has been suggested by the efl, instead of the 5 year one on the table. Basically it needs signing by 4pm Monday from what I understand and there's no other offers on the table. I'm guessing the next one they'd be trying to attract new broadcasters. To be fair the Championship is marketable and the belief is if sold as a separate package instead of bundled in an efl deal it would fetch a lot more. Would screw L1 L2 clubs however. Some decent articles on it in the telegraph in last few days.

Much ado about nothing in the end, the 5 year Sky deal has been signed. Suggestion those clubs that spat their dummy out may seek to challenge it via the legal route, though on what grounds I'm not sure.

Sounds like the big clubs realised they’d left it too late to find a better deal in time for next season and bottled it. The likes of Leeds will now simply be praying for promotion so they can wash their hands of the deal and the EFL. As for us, a increase on the current TV income we received which will provide financial security but while that red button option remains, our midweek home crowds will continue to suffer.