Championship Table | Vital Football

Championship Table

eastanglianred

Vital Reserves Team
So last year we finished in 21st place and on equal points above the drop zone. This season it is 17th place and 12 points above.
Last seasons points total was 51 points, this 53.
Do people see that as a 12 point improvement in the season performance or a stagnant 2 point improvement?

It just shows how hard this league is.We had the likes of Hull and Sheff Wed near us who are both capable of competing for a top 6 next season.I have got to the stage of working out a handful of sides who will struggle before the season starts and hope we are above at least three of them.Hopefully that negative attitude of mind is about to change.

Given our decline over the preceding 5 years, I'd always thought this season would be one of consolidation backed up by the transfer activity.

Technically, it's an improvement but more importantly, we appear to have a much more solid base to build upon.

I don't think we have any stand out players that will be attracting big bids, so now over to AK to build and shape his squad.

So last year we finished in 21st place and on equal points above the drop zone. This season it is 17th place and 12 points above.
Last seasons points total was 51 points, this 53.
Do people see that as a 12 point improvement in the season performance or a stagnant 2 point improvement?

2 points. We haven't really been any better.

It looked desperate last year because it was an unusually high scoring year for a relegation battle. This season has been an unusually low scoring year

A definite improvement although it can't be measured in points. OKD has hit the nail on the head when he talks about a solid base, something lacking for the past few years. Without that we've been like a ship without a rudder, all over the shop and getting nowhere.
With a bit of luck AK will consolidate over the summer and get us pointing upwards in August.
The Championship is still a mighty tough division to get out of.

Another way could be looking how far out of the playoffs we were last season compared to this. 29 points last season and 22 this season.
I posted for a discussion, but I agree with most in that we have made progress. Hopefully at least another 12 point jump the coming season and we all might dare to dream!

I dont see any improvement at all. Last season the club had to go through the Fawaz selling `carry on` for almost all season ...manager starting on the eve of kick off (and to make it even worse-not knowing the Championship) etc etc ...this year, there was more stability off the pitch and the manager that started the season has almost 4 months to be prepared for this season ... end result, change of manager mid way through the season, the usual Gary Brazil taking over for a short period of time ... and a spank new manager (with unlimited player procurement power) .... so ...finishing just 2 points better off ...is just stagnation for me...look at Fulham ... 2 seasons ago, just scrapped relegation...following year 6th , this year 3rd and in a play off final...can we do the same next season? Not to mention Wolves ...from 15th on 58 points to Champions on 99 points

I dont see any improvement at all. Last season the club had to go through the Fawaz selling `carry on` for almost all season ...manager starting on the eve of kick off (and to make it even worse-not knowing the Championship) etc etc ...this year, there was more stability off the pitch and the manager that started the season has almost 4 months to be prepared for this season ... end result, change of manager mid way through the season, the usual Gary Brazil taking over for a short period of time ... and a spank new manager (with unlimited player procurement power) .... so ...finishing just 2 points better off ...is just stagnation for me...look at Fulham ... 2 seasons ago, just scrapped relegation...following year 6th , this year 3rd and in a play off final...can we do the same next season? Not to mention Wolves ...from 15th on 58 points to Champions on 99 points

First bit seems a bit disingenuous when u do a decent job of explaining how we have moved forward.

Very much agree with the last bit and is all the evidence u need beyond watching this league to know; players in this league and thus teams as well r inconsistent. The right mix of players at the right time makes the magic imo. Let's hope ak can get it right.

I wanted 60 points minimum as a proper show of progress. The fact that we only got 53 is a disappointment.

In real terms the squad is better than it was this time last season so that’s progress of sorts and hopefully next season we get a big bump in terms of both points and places.

Stagnant for me, especially under AK. Tomlin hasn't performed to his potential but that's not really suprising, hard to be a playmaker in front of two deep sitting midfield players with no one in front of you. I was expecting more when AK brought in a raft of known, quality, players. It's been frustrating to be fair.
On the positive side, off the field has looked more stable (if you ignore allegations of drug trafficking, choking players, etc.)
I don't think we have moved forward, more of a sideways shuffle?
Regrets ?
I think there was potential to build a side around a crop of talented young players and that would have taken patience - not sure MW was the man to do it. I was watching the review of the Paul Hart play off season the other day and the tears of joy and regret were flowing!
When you see what Hart built here for next to nothing (and had pulled out from under him) I can't help but think what if? Maybe Gaz Braz would have been the best choice?

What Fulham have done is stick with the same manager. There were calls for jokanovic to be sacked in his first full year, finishing 17th. As the posters above says, the following year 6th and this 3rd.
Keep the faith. AK has a ruthlessness and determination about him.

Not sure if looking at point difference is the best metric. I think 17th was a fair spot for us. There has not been as much drama in the back office. Players are getting paid. Hopefully our Manager will stick around for an entire season. I think the chances of that are pretty good.
I think our finances are such that we can now bid for higher level Championship league talent. Our Academy is still developing players that could push players on the Senior squad. In short I think we are now in a position where we can start a climb up the table.

With Swansea, West Brom and Stoke all being relegated, next season is going to be a very difficult one in the Championship. A top ten finish will be a good finish for us.

Not sure if looking at point difference is the best metric. I think 17th was a fair spot for us. There has not been as much drama in the back office. Players are getting paid. Hopefully our Manager will stick around for an entire season. I think the chances of that are pretty good.
I think our finances are such that we can now bid for higher level Championship league talent. Our Academy is still developing players that could push players on the Senior squad. In short I think we are now in a position where we can start a climb up the table.

With Swansea, West Brom and Stoke all being relegated, next season is going to be a very difficult one in the Championship. A top ten finish will be a good finish for us.

But the position in the table relates to the number of points accumulated against other teams. Both are relevant but it highlights the improvement we have made since last season

But the position in the table relates to the number of points accumulated against other teams. Both are relevant but it highlights the improvement we have made since last season
It could be argued that there were better sides in the league the previous season though. All three teams promoted stayed up and the relegated teams have returned. Hence it is difficult to compare one season to the next.