Championship survival | Page 3 | Vital Football

Championship survival

We've had 18 months to get a feel for this team / management strengths and weaknesses plus 20 odd games at this level to measure ourselves. At this point it's a judgement call based on what we've seen - a pessimistic prediction where away form and six pointer form don't drastically improve but home form drifts away a bit I think is more realistic than as positive one which would see us maintain our home record, turn around away form and for the first time start to perform top our best in the must win games.
We havnt got a starting eleven at the moment to compare with our little cameo first couple of months. Saturday's starting eleven would have struggled to have won automatic promotion last season.

While I'm not pleased to hear Powell will be missing a while i do think that will do him and us the world of good in the long run.

I'd much prefer to have no Powell for a month or two if it means we get him back to his early season peak for the last few months. A running repairs 70% Powell playing every game isn't going to turn the tables but him at 100% for half of those games would make a huge difference.

He's the best player in the Championship by a mile when he's fully fit so hopefully we wont rush him back and when we next see him he'll be back to his best running the show again.

and thats the big question when he (powell) is fully fit thing is i cant remember last time he was

Even half a Powell is pretty special - two seasons ago he gave it a pretty good go trying to single handedly save us from the drop whilst only playing 30 minutes a game. Get him fully fit and he will win us plenty of games.

Personally I think we’ll be just fine with plenty enough to stay up with a few games to go. There is always the danger that we go on another awful run and get dragged into the bottom 3 at some point, but I don’t see it based on the number of poor teams down at the bottom.

Hopefully a couple of signings in January and again in the summer to strenghten the first XI and the first choice reserves (who our injury issues have exposed as not being good enough at times) and we can then hopefully kick on to top half and upwards next season.

Even half a Powell is pretty special - two seasons ago he gave it a pretty good go trying to single handedly save us from the drop whilst only playing 30 minutes a game. Get him fully fit and he will win us plenty of games.

Personally I think we’ll be just fine with plenty enough to stay up with a few games to go. There is always the danger that we go on another awful run and get dragged into the bottom 3 at some point, but I don’t see it based on the number of poor teams down at the bottom.

Hopefully a couple of signings in January and again in the summer to strenghten the first XI and the first choice reserves (who our injury issues have exposed as not being good enough at times) and we can then hopefully kick on to top half and upwards next season.

think we all agree that a fit powel is grate for the teem.

"Get him fully fit and he will win us plenty of games."

how do we do this TS. weve had him for so long so what are we not doing to get him fuly fit. if we get him fuly fit then how long can it last before he brakes agen.

not having a go mate but if some on heer can shed some lite on powels long term conditeon then we could move forward.

I am expecting us to suffer a defeat at Ipswich, which will make our predicament more dire. Players who have had a long spell out dont hit the ground running, it takes them a while to make any sort of impact.
Our fate will not be known until the last game of the season as been played.

I am expecting us to suffer a defeat at Ipswich, which will make our predicament more dire. Players who have had a long spell out dont hit the ground running, it takes them a while to make any sort of impact.
Our fate will not be known until the last game of the season as been played.

bit erly to call for me draggers.

that comeback in the 2nd half of the derby game showed good leedership and a comitment from the pleyers to step up to the mark. ok it was a home game and it were more important to the pleyers to show us.

also we dont no what is going to be done in the window. if he does some canny busines then he gives us a grate chance of puling away from the bottom. if he dont then you mite be rite about it going to the wire.

think we all agree that a fit powel is grate for the teem.

"Get him fully fit and he will win us plenty of games."

how do we do this TS. weve had him for so long so what are we not doing to get him fuly fit. if we get him fuly fit then how long can it last before he brakes agen.

not having a go mate but if some on heer can shed some lite on powels long term conditeon then we could move forward.

I think it's simply give him more recovery time for injuries. He goes off injured and then comes back right away despite clearly not being 100%. God bless Powell for being committed and willing to play when he's not fully fit but i think sometimes we have to bite the bullet and tell him to have another week or two to get him hamstrings healed / rested better. It's not ideal but i think that we are better having him at 100% half of the time rather than having him at 70% nearly every week.

I suspect that Powell has now peaked at the level he can compete at.
I am guessing this is due to his attitude to gaining the correct level of fitness and there is also something within his head when he tries to step it up.
It will mean a smaller (If any) transfer fee if we lose him or that he stays with us as he's under less pressure to perform.

I suspect that Powell has now peaked at the level he can compete at.
I am guessing this is due to his attitude to gaining the correct level of fitness and there is also something within his head when he tries to step it up.
It will mean a smaller (If any) transfer fee if we lose him or that he stays with us as he's under less pressure to perform.

I don't think we can measure the effect the injuries have played over his career but i suspect that it's been quite a lot.

His hamstrings are obviously suspect to going and while that type of muscle injury is often considered nowhere near as serious as say a ligament tear they can be very hard to be 100% ever again due to higher chance of reoccurance. You can even see some instances when players get so worried about their hamstrings they start to deliberetly avoid pushing themselves with their sprinting and going for high balls to protect themselves.

When you are an explosive playing like Powell if it robs you of that yard of pace and extra spring in your jump it can make you half the player you where before.

No reason if we play with the same spirit as last Saturdays last 30 minutes for the full match then we should come back with three points.

That is the problem we've probably only shown that spirit once or twice since our good start faded away in late September.

If they gave it that every game we'd be sitting here with plenty more points by now regardless of the tough fixtures and injuries. If 10 men can do that against in form Derby why cant 11 be arsed against the horribly out of form crap sides?

maybe because we are horribly out of form ourselves ?

Indeed we are due to the fact nearly every time we've played a side in worse form or on a worse losing run than us we've failed to get the win - QPR, Preston, Millwall, Reading, Bolton, Ipswich. We were in better form than every single one of them yet managed 0 wins from that lot.

Bit O/T but it is about Championship Survival ... namely Sunderland.
Has anyone watched Sunderland Till I Die yet, on Netflix ?

Some familiar faces are featured: Darron Gibson (whoops), Lee Catermole , James Vaughan and Callum McManaman.
James Vaughan in a pre season match misses a penalty and the rebound. Would have been 1-2 to Celtic but they ended getting thumped 0-5.

Simon Grayson explaining via a flip chart on what a supporter is and expects was "interesting".
Sunderland Head Physio to CM on transfer deadline day ... "We knew about your ankle, we mentioned your ankle, there was no suggestion of surgery".... whilst manipulating his ankle.
There were articles from 2016 suggesting a history of ankle injuries prior to joining West Browm.

Last edited:
Simon Grayson at the clipboard.
"These fans can be demanding but..and these are the things they expect from you.
They want to see desire. They want to see that you care about the club. They want to see the spirit where you are all together ... and celebrate a goal together. They are working class people who work hard for their money and that's the bare minimum they are expecting from you .... so we have got to carry that forward."
Pre Season Clipboard explanation to players about supporters.jpg