Champions League Qualifiers 2017/18 | Page 14 | Vital Football

Champions League Qualifiers 2017/18

Operation 'bag £40m' accomplished.

Should have won that about 6-4 on the night but you just can't defend like that or play inexperienced CB's at this level away in Europe, or even Asia, regardless of the opposition or the first leg score.

BR just said he's had to play so many players out of position and inexperienced ones and without a striker for most of this qualifying campaign in his interview there.

Don't know if he was having a dig at the lack of players brought in prior to the qualifiers and then the play-off, or whether he was just stating the problems he's had to deal with. But the fact he chose to mention it might suggest the former.

At the end of the day we scored 3 goals away in Asia and on another day could have scored 5 or 6.

We also know where our self-inflicted problems lay tonight.

Welch be lookin' at the scoreline later going 'wut da faaaack' :emoticon:10 :emoticon:19

I don't think he's too unhappy about the transfer dealings. He knows what he has, he could have strengthened certain areas sooner but he is the one who said he wanted to wait and that he likes having a smaller group of players to work with.

It's a difficult place to go......but we still should have come away with something better last night. You have to think that if Simunovic was able to play on artificial grass then we wouldn't have lost so many goals. Now that's nothing against Ajer because really only the first goal you could lay any blame on him for and otherwise he had a fairly decent night! Showed his pace, power and energy late on in the game when he ran out with the ball from the back and the Astana boy got booked for digging his heels into the ground and grabbing Ajer with 2 hands to try and stop him running.....which he only just managed to do!
I think Ajer is a good player and he could pretty much play week in, week out for us domestically but I think what he may need more is another loan move away and to play CB for another season. The problem will be where because Scotland probably isn't enough, he could do with playing somewhere a bit better. Holland would be good for him actually! Should suit him as well with the style of football they play.

Lustig and Bitton were both quite poor last night. Bitton getting caught out in wide areas.....that is NOT where you want him to be because he doesn't have the recovery pace to get back at them.

However it is job done and we bank a hell of a lot of money and move on!

Striker, winger and CB all required!

It's a difficult one with Ajer and as you say he'll only regress if sent on loan to an spfl team. Wherever he goes he needs guaranteed starts. Holland, France or Belgium would be good experience for him. The lower leagues in england are full of cloggers and most of the games in the championship would get football stopped.

On last night it was a shame to pair Ajer beside Bitton. Where he needed an older head beside him he got a midfielder posing as a headless chicken instead.

Lustig and Broony were guff 2nd half. KT not great either and Gordon remains a fucking liability at his near post. Unfair to throw Ralston on and wtf was Gamboa doing on the bench...again?

The other thing was BR throwing all three subs on at 65 mins which left us vulnerable and completely out of options for the remaining 25 mins of the game. Too much going on at the time to comment but it seemed a totally pointless and dangerous risk to take.

Thought it worth passing comment on the above without getting my boxers in a twist about it.

The positives by far outweigh any self-inflicted negatives.

You're right the positives do outweigh the negatives but the performance not just from the players but from the manager and coaching team did raise questions!

Agree about Ajer, he needs a loan on the continent. Even second tier German or French football would be good for him to be honest! However I'd be surprised if there wasn't a club in the top tier of either country who needs a CB like him......
It wasn't even an experienced head Ajer needed next to him the other night, it was just a good defender and that's probably why we've seen Ajer do well when paired with KT at CB!

Alan Stubbs has been saying that KT is our only top class defender. Tierney is our best defender, no doubt about it! He's one of the best players our club has produced in a VERY long time! I believe he has the ability to play at some of the VERY best teams in Europe! However I think Stubbs' comments are a little unfair on Simunovic! He's still young and now that he's getting a really good run together is really starting to show that he too is a top defender. Outside of the two of them though.....our defence is weak!

Latest Celtic News