Chairmans Chat... | Page 16 | Vital Football

Chairmans Chat...

I’m joining different dots. Might be complete off the mark, but based on what PS and other posters have said, I suspect that staff shortages mean that those staff are probably redeployed to other tasks critical for match day operations.

Come off it Trashbat. One person sat in an area ready to hand out pre ordered stuff for an hour. It's hardly a massive task to organise.

They could easily do it at the ticket collection point.

Funny you should say that - that is right next to where it is. Couple of young lads sitting there doing nothing when we asked. "Shirt collection finished at 4" he said. Looking a bit bored with nothing to do.

Hey ho as Trashbat says the international shortage in labour, compounded by Brexit and delays in processing international work permits prevented him from handing over a bag with a pre-ordered shirt ;-)

Its a laugh or cry with Gills sometimes.

Come off it Trashbat. One person sat in an area ready to hand out pre ordered stuff for an hour. It's hardly a massive task to organise.
Yet posters on here are commenting that the food kiosks are not staffed.
And PS has said repeatedly in his Chairman's Chat that he can’t get enough staff. Did you listen to any of the Chairman’s chats? You’d struggle to miss his repeatedly mentioning that we need chefs, match day staff, stewards etc. He only mentioned it repeatedly about 100 times in each video he’s done.

Yet posters on here are commenting that the food kiosks are not staffed.
And PS has said repeatedly in his Chairman's Chat that he can’t get enough staff. Did you listen to any of the Chairman’s chats? You’d struggle to miss his repeatedly mentioning that we need chefs, match day staff, stewards etc. He only mentioned it repeatedly about 100 times in each video he’s done.

I did. I wonder why he can't attract staff. I wonder how pay and conditions compare to other similar roles?

Unless you know anyone with job there who could share the details ?

There seems to be a tendency to think things stay as they are. So if there’s a problem one week, some seem to think it will always be that way. Here’s an example of how little things bring improvements. At the MKD game the old shop in the corner between the Rainham End and the Gordon Road stand was reopened selling both replica kit and programmes. Buying a programme was taking a couple of minutes each time because the programme isn’t being printed with a bar code and a code needed to be manually entered on the till. For the Charlton game they had a bar code set up so the transaction was much speeded up. I am sure similar improvements will happen in other areas too.

Good to hear things are improving. I think that's all most people are asking. Look at what could be done better and make changes. Question is whether or not he has enough humility to reverse some of the real things that are keeping people away - or at least try.

7301 the attendance last night. Approx 5000 Gills fans then - what do we feel about that ? 1,000 up on Morecambe / MK which is positive but should we hope for more on a local derby in nice weather ?

Good to hear things are improving. I think that's all most people are asking. Look at what could be done better and make changes. Question is whether or not he has enough humility to reverse some of the real things that are keeping people away - or at least try.

7301 the attendance last night. Approx 5000 Gills fans then - what do we feel about that ? 1,000 up on Morecambe / MK which is positive but should we hope for more on a local derby in nice weather ?

You seriously need to cheer up Mark.

It was excellent entertainment last night. A great credit to League 1 football. A game of two halves. World class goal keeping. Last ditch tackles. End to end attacking. Young kids blooded to the first team. Rainham end was electric. Even the ref was alright.

Yet you still moan and moan and moan. Why all the negativity?

7301 is a very good attendance for a midweek fixture against a team in the relegation zone on a cold night in September. As a comparison, when we last played Charlton at home the attendance was 8000 and that was a Saturday 3pm kick-off.

Celebrate it.

Get excited about Oxford.

Be positive.

You seriously need to cheer up Mark.

It was excellent entertainment last night. A great credit to League 1 football. A game of two halves. World class goal keeping. Last ditch tackles. End to end attacking. Young kids blooded to the first team. Rainham end was electric. Even the ref was alright.

Yet you still moan and moan and moan. Why all the negativity?

7301 is a very good attendance for a midweek fixture against a team in the relegation zone on a cold night in September. As a comparison, when we last played Charlton at home the attendance was 8000 and that was a Saturday 3pm kick-off.

Celebrate it.

Get excited about Oxford.

Be positive.

It was simply a question of should we expect more.

As it happens I thoroughly enjoyed last night.

Not sure I agree with you views on the weather though it was lovely warm evening. Bit irrelevant that Charlton are currently in the relegation zone, still our only real derby this season.

I think 5000 gills was disappointing for that and rather than be happy with that I'd like to see the club strive for better.

I get that some people are just thankful that we survived and have games to go to. I understand that but Id like us to have bit more ambition

Not sure that I see questioning if we could do more as moaning but we can disagree on that.

Hopefully you will maintain your positivity over the coming months.

It was simply a question of should we expect more.

As it happens I thoroughly enjoyed last night.

Not sure I agree with you views on the weather though it was lovely warm evening. Bit irrelevant that Charlton are currently in the relegation zone, still our only real derby this season.

I think 5000 gills was disappointing for that and rather than be happy with that I'd like to see the club strive for better.

I get that some people are just thankful that we survived and have games to go to. I understand that but Id like us to have bit more ambition

Not sure that I see questioning if we could do more as moaning but we can disagree on that.

Hopefully you will maintain your positivity over the coming months.

Last night’s attendance was on par with the last time we played Charlton in front of fans at home.

Would be interesting to compare attendances at this year’s home games with the attendance for the last time we played the same team at home before COVID.

I checked Lincoln and Charlton. There wasn’t a significant difference.

Last night’s attendance was on par with the last time we played Charlton in front of fans at home.

Would be interesting to compare attendances at this year’s home games with the attendance for the last time we played the same team at home before COVID.

I checked Lincoln and Charlton. There wasn’t a significant difference.

Depends how you define significant differences.

Lincoln 81 down on last time but given that this was our first game after 18 months I thought that was disappointing.

MK 620 less

Morecambe 1613 less (back to 2012 though)

Charlton 746 less.

Not enough games played to have a meaningful average yet

We will have to agree to disagree Trashbat I think we've lost a big chunk of fans most noticeably in the GRS and Medway.

We can disagree on why but it's all opinions without facts. Only fact is so far attendances are lower than before. Maybe things will pick up.

As a side note, I see that Fleetwood have posted losses of, and are insolvent to the tune of, £20 million.
Their owner is in court on fraud and money laundering charges.
He owns an energy company too, which in the current climate must be a bit worrying.

As a side note, I see that Fleetwood have posted losses of, and are insolvent to the tune of, £20 million.
Their owner is in court on fraud and money laundering charges.
He owns an energy company too, which in the current climate must be a bit worrying.
Fleetwood were one of the top payers in this division for the last couple of seasons in a bid to get promoted.
I’m not surprised they are skint.

Depends how you define significant differences.

Lincoln 81 down on last time but given that this was our first game after 18 months I thought that was disappointing.

MK 620 less

Morecambe 1613 less (back to 2012 though)

Charlton 746 less.

Not enough games played to have a meaningful average yet

We will have to agree to disagree Trashbat I think we've lost a big chunk of fans most noticeably in the GRS and Medway.

We can disagree on why but it's all opinions without facts. Only fact is so far attendances are lower than before. Maybe things will pick up.

Morecambe is a big difference.

That aside, there isn’t much between the attendances. Charlton would be expected to be a lower gate given that it was a midweek game... ...there were a few people on this forum who said they couldn’t make is because of work and with iFollow being available, I’d guess some people decided to watch it from home.

I don’t think it’s as big a drop as you are making out - but, like you said, it is too early to say with only a few home games gone so far.

Interesting that most on here report that the GRS and Medway stand seem light on "bums on seats".
Would it be fair to say that these two stands attract a *ahem* more mature supporter? Fear of crowds and covid might be a small reason for this. Some of the differences in crowd numbers stated above are relatively small and could, in some part, be explained by covid. (Without getting too morose, we could well be "missing" a few through illness or worse, due to this poxy virus)
I have a number of friends who still won't go to football/concerts etc because of this.
Not making excuses, could be a genuine reason for some people.