Chairmans Chat... | Page 14 | Vital Football

Chairmans Chat...

I'm sure there will be those who will argue that Scally is using his financial might to silent the messengers of truth and that the legal threats is evidence that Scally is guilty of all their accusations.
That exact thought went through my mind.

“multi millionaire football club chairman shuts down legitimate criticism with legal action “

An obvious suppression of the working class 😂

Depends how much it damages him and his business and the need to clear his name publically. Suing is a very expensive business and even if he won, I surmise that he'd never get all his costs back off the type of person he is referring to.

I'm sure Scally doesn't take taking legal action lightly and has judged the damage to the club's reputation to be sufficent to make the threats.

As what Eager said, it doesn't necessarily have to be expensive and purely on the basis of a lack of media followup post Patang57 then the threat might be sufficent. From my limited expertise of defamation cases, most defamation cases tend to end with a strongly worded demand letter and a "polite" request to retract the statements.

"he'd never get all his costs back off the type of person he is referring to"

Hmm, are you implying that the uneducated morons throwing around the mindless accusations must be the poor working class? ;) Joking aside, once the club has confirmed the identities of people, I am sure the club could do credit reports on everyone and initially target those who do have the assets depending on the judgement knowing that the poorer people would quickly fall into line.

As with the Patang57 situation, I recall Scally invited him in for a chat so he could show him how the club really works. Quite possibly Scally would look to go down that sort of mediation route again and depending on who made what accusation, get everyone to sit down in the boardroom with the accountant to explain how financial accounts work and why nothing dodgy is going on etc. And then Scally sues the balls off anyone who then doesn't learn anything from it.

I'm sure there will be those who will argue that Scally is using his financial might to silent the messengers of truth and that the legal threats is evidence that Scally is guilty of all their accusations.

Didn't the Blackpool Chairman try to sue fans who posted negative messages and comments about him/the club on messageboards a few years ago? I think the whole thing was more incendiary on both sides than the current Scally v "Scally out" brigade battle, but it didn't end well, from memory, and resulted in bad publicity. WhistableTangerine may be able to expand on it, if he's still about?

Said it before. Scally is missing a trick here. I think he can avoid the cost and bad will that’ll come from legal action and instead ruin these twats with their very own tool: social media.

I honestly don’t think it’d be that difficult to debunk any libellous claims; goad the twats to approach the police if they suspect criminal activity; gently ridicule certain fans who are damaging the club.

I don’t think that’s really PS’s style though. He’s a little uncomfortable in front of the camera and he is too upset and distressed to make light of the situation.

As with the Patang57 situation, I recall Scally invited him in for a chat so he could show him how the club really works. Quite possibly Scally would look to go down that sort of mediation route again and depending on who made what accusation, get everyone to sit down in the boardroom with the accountant to explain how financial accounts work and why nothing dodgy is going on etc. And then Scally sues the balls off anyone who then doesn't learn anything from it.

Isn't that when Scally or someone on his behalf created a username "ChairmanScally" on one of the forums (think it was the old BBC forum) and tried to respond to critcism and questions? I have half a feeling that someone used to do that on this or one of the predecessor forums (not Scally but someone from the club media team) and responded to comments and questions (not the divisive ones, but ones about tickets and things). I may be well be having a senior moment and be wrongly remembering!

However, it might be a good idea to do something like that now. I know the club are stretched for resources, but they could emply some young school leaver or intern to try to spend a few hours each day on sites like this and sensible social media sites and address some of the simple, easily-resolved queries about tickets, the clubshop and the like. At present, from personal experience, I don't think the club even respond to genuine questions and comments in response to their posts on Facebook or Twitter.

It would be a good way to win some favour for the club and possible an easy win, and would be a good way of stopping shit-stirring and urban-myths at source before they escalate and are twisted by the "Scally Out" gang.

That’s a great point ST.

I recall being on a cruise a few years back and a passenger posted a negative complaint about something that had happened on the cruise company Facebook page.
Within the hour, they were contacted by ship reception to rectify the problem and enquire why they complained publicly before bringing it to the company.
So someone at the company headquarters clearly monitors the social media.
Maybe the club should employ a tech savvy youngster.

That’s a great point ST.

I recall being on a cruise a few years back and a passenger posted a negative complaint about something that had happened on the cruise company Facebook page.
Within the hour, they were contacted by ship reception to rectify the problem and enquire why they complained publicly before bringing it to the company.
So someone at the company headquarters clearly monitors the social media.
Maybe the club should employ a tech savvy youngster.

That's one of the only reasons that I'm on Twitter to make public complaints against companies who offer me a bad service. They tend to resolve it in a shot by getting you to "PM" (private message) them and resolve it out of the public domain. For example, I was on an all inclusive holiday a few years ago and was having some issues about not getting the expensive package I had paid for. The hotel didn't seem to give two hoots, so whilst I was sitting by the pool having a few cocktails, I banged out a wharts and all tweet to the large holiday company who owned the compex and within half an hour someone at the hotel had clearly got the call and come over to where I was sitting around the pool, brought some champagne in a bucket and moved our room and resolved our issues.

I'm not saying that the club have the resources to do that sort of thing, but engaging early and resolving publicly issues like the ticketing issues can create a lot of good will and positivity - for example, Ben Reeves has done a stellar job quietly resolving some of the ticket issues on a quiet basis, but had Scally gone into some detail about this (i.e. holding up his hands to the problems and explaining how they'd been resolved and that how he was going to address the issues some people are still having rather than just dismissing it, and maybe this could have been addressed on Social Media too for everyone to see), I think things could have been nipped in the bud a lot better and a positive message would have been spread and there would be less for the naysayers to latch onto, twist and exaggerate.

I have half a feeling that someone used to do that on this or one of the predecessor forums (not Scally but someone from the club media team) and responded to comments and questions (not the divisive ones, but ones about tickets and things). I may be well be having a senior moment and be wrongly remembering!

Unless we are both having a senior moment I remember this too.

Nick_gfc rings a bell. I think it was on the previous board but agree it worked well.

Unless we are both having a senior moment I remember this too.

Nick_gfc rings a bell. I think it was on the previous board but agree it worked well.
Yes Nick used to be the club’s media manager 2 or 3 seasons ago.
“Chairman Scally” I believe posted on the Kent Online comments section a few times when he was upset at what was being posted on there.

I remember Scally posting once on this board when it was maybe Fansonline or even prior.

Mark McCammon’s post was on non606 I believe?

I remember Scally posting once on this board when it was maybe Fansonline or even prior.

Mark McCammon’s post was on non606 I believe?
He definitely posted on 606, when it was still the BBC one as opposed to not606. It was after the Villa game and someone was spouting rubbish about the attendance and Scally lieing/taking the money. I think the user was Patchy67 or something like that.

I was a user on there then and remember Scally's post being well worded to be fair.

He definitely posted on 606, when it was still the BBC one as opposed to not606. It was after the Villa game and someone was spouting rubbish about the attendance and Scally lieing/taking the money. I think the user was Patchy67 or something like that.

I was a user on there then and remember Scally's post being well worded to be fair.

Mmmm. Unless you were there, with him, how would you know ? That`s the thing about t`internet, don`t tha nowe..... It`s a jungle .....

Last edited:
How do you KNOW it was PS, Trev ?
This was years ago but from how he announced himself and from what he said we were all in agreement it was him. I have no idea of how to see if we can find the post if we don’t even know what previous board this was on.

This was years ago but from how he announced himself and from what he said we were all in agreement it was him. I have no idea of how to see if we can find the post if we don’t even know what previous board this was on.

Wasn't it fansonline ?