Chairmans Chat... | Page 12 | Vital Football

Chairmans Chat...

I almost feel like I’m missing out now.😂
Can anyone look at it or do you have to be on Facebook?

Mate, the “Fans” Facebook page is a thing to behold. I used to occasionally engage some of the deluded folk on there, but it’s like hitting your head against a brick wall. Nowadays I like to scroll through it with my popcorn packet.

A poster earlier today - “PS is deluded if he thinks the scally-out mob are in the minority. I’d say at least 90% of Gills fans want him gone!”.

Say, what??

Bottom line is, Paul Scally really needs to stop addressing them in his chats. It just keeps fuelling their fire. Simply talk about the positives, give reasons and apologies for any current problems, and deal with the keyboard warriors in the background out of public (or not at all, no good will come of it).

I've always said and find it strange that people stay away from games because of what other people sing or say at matches - I'm maoinly only concerned with what's happening on the pitch and supoorting the team, but each to their own. I, of course, don't agree with the "Scally out" chanters and don't think they help the team at all, but I also think that Scally takes the "Scally out" chants too personally. We've heard it at Gills before in respect of Scally and managers and it's pretty commonplace across the country for lots of Chairman and managers and I suggest a lot take it better and often just ignore it. As I say, I don't agree with it, but I equally think he is out of order describing people who travel half the length of the country as not fans of the team and they should "stay away" just because they don't like him. You can like and support the team without liking the chairman and for that matter the manager (which some even now have reservations about). I also think that he's conflating the "Scally out" chanters with the vile and libellous social media posters - maybe some of them are one and the same and, if so fair enough, but I'm not sure that all of the "Scally out" protestors are the libellous social media keyboard warriors.

One thing that I am sure of is that him taking the challenge to them in the angry way he did in his chat yesterday will probably be met with an in kind response and I daresay he'll respond in kind in his next chat. So where does it end? It would seem in the courts or at least with letters from lawyers for 3 or 4 of them, but there's not much he can do about someone chanting and they may well get angrier and get their mates to join in, if he continues to get annoyed and angry at them (i.e. he's giving them the reaction they want)

What I do agree with is that it's not good for the club and I blame the boo boys for that, but I think that Scally is inflaming it, by giving it so much attention when there are, for a lot of us, lots more important things (and l think there are many questions he could answer and he seems to be playing lip-service to some of those issues and suggesting that they have just been resolved, whilst not actually addressing genuine questions and concerns from fans, e.g. the new ticketing arrangements).
I congratulate you on your ability to shut out the rest of the crowd at football. I get angry when people would rather slate the team than offer support, football should be enjoyable and engaging instead of holding your breath awaiting a player to make a mistake before berating him.

While I understand there is industrial language at football, I don't want my daughter (or any other Gills fan) to have to hear "Scally you're a ****" chants from the terminally stupid members of our away following.

I'd be happy to call out this behaviour, I'd hope other Gills fans would too.

Mike Ashley put Newcastle up for sale in 2008.
He’s still there.
Nobody has either met his asking price or passed the PL tests of ownership.
In the meantime, he has refused to bankroll the club and they operate within their financial means.

I'm OK with that. That's all I want scally to do.

If no one wants to buy him out so be it. We are stuck with each other.

I'm surprised his loved ones aren't encouraging him to sell up and retire. All of the angst and aggro is not worth it as his time of life.

I'd like to see a change at the top and I don't want this club to make him ill or worse.

He didn't look well in that chat and I hope those that are close to him have the courage to tell him

You can't buy time in this life - not even with cash.

I'm OK with that. That's all I want scally to do.

If no one wants to buy him out so be it. We are stuck with each other.

I'm surprised his loved ones aren't encouraging him to sell up and retire. All of the angst and aggro is not worth it as his time of life.

I'd like to see a change at the top and I don't want this club to make him ill or worse.

He didn't look well in that chat and I hope those that are close to him have the courage to tell him

You can't buy time in this life - not even with cash.
I said that much earlier in the thread Mark.
He’s a pensioner with a heart condition.
If I was in his position, I’d be chatting to my accountant about an exit strategy.

Wael al Qadi personally bailed out Bristol Rovers and his reward was to get racially abused by a section of their fans.

Makes you wonder, doesn’t it ?
Who’d want it?

If I was in his position, I’d be chatting to my accountant about an exit strategy.
?

Scally is only 65 and doesn't even qualify for the national pension yet. Hardly a pensioner on the scrap heap :hmmm:

Have just watched the Chairman`s Chat and it`s pretty evident that PS is feeling the acrimony directed at him very deeply.

In so far as the non-abuse related content is concerned, I felt that all of PS`s remarks and explanations were entirely reasonable and welcomed his feedback. But, once again, his body language was such that he seemed unable to put the updates over in a relaxed and communal spirited style. Perhaps, knowing what he was just about to get off his chest, it was a bit of a struggle to come over in a calm fashion - the perception I got was of a man in combat mode.

I really feel for PS as there is no doubt in my mind that he loves GFC and wants only good things for the club. Without him we`d probably now be in the National League. I`ve aired my views on here about the foul personal abuse directed at PS that I witnessed at Shrewsbury and at Burton. It`s totally unnecessary and inexcusable. Thankfully, even though the abuse can be audibly high (at away games) the actual number who appear to engage in it is relatively low.

Two points about the abuse that I would make are:

1) In supporting what Trev said earlier, the atmosphere among Gills fans is more noticeable and pronounced at away games than it is at home games. At many away venues the Gills crowd is obliged to sit closely together in a segregated part of the ground. I was not looking forward to the inevitable intra-hostility that would have been present at Burton had we been (as we were for the last game at Burton) compressed into a small corner of the ground. Unlike being able to select your "areas" at Priestfield, it would have put people with hard opposing views very close together. Fortunately, the potential venomous and hostile situation didn`t come to fruition as Burton opened up the away terrace as well as the seating. So, I support Trev`s opinion that potential (strong currently) toxicity among our own - is becoming a factor in deciding whether or not to attend.

2) PS indicated that abusive comments from our fans was having a negative affect on our players. That seems to be true - as evidenced by the direct reaction of Cummings toward our own fans at Burton when some foolishly started chanting that specifically undermined our own team.

On the issue of editing the Chairman`s Chat, the "control" is probably all down to PS. The fact that PS was perhaps a little excessive in repeating his summaries of the abuse was, I imagine, less to do with the chap recording the interview and more with how PS was feeling. Personally, I don`t think that PS came across very well at all - even when prompted to positively reference the Gills (majority) support at the away games, PS seemed to ignore that and return to the subject of personal abuse.

IMHO, PS could do with an experienced PR man (Eager Exile ?) as the case he puts over is more than justified but not helped by the manner in which it`s delivered.

To the idiots who don`t realise, or don`t care, that social media is a public space and entry to it requires one to be mindful of what one says/writes - I have no sympathy at all if they end up on the wrong side of a court decision.

I hope all this blows over as soon as possible (might take a while if it gets litigious) so that we can collectively concentrate on supporting the Gills - who, incidentally (!), are now playing some really good stuff !

Due diligence would be difficult, though, wouldn't it?

Historic accounts can be examined, but in these days of short contracts would any value be put on the playing staff, for instance?

Then there is goodwill, which is subjective. So is "potential" of being able to buy land and build a self financing new stadium, at Mill Hill or elsewhere. Scally would see the recent planning progress as a reason to value the club at a higher figure, even though it is still at an early stage. A bit like putting in a planning application for an extension that you never intend to build, in the hope that it would obtain you a higher selling price.

I guess you’re missing something. I went through the process of sale of shares.

You discuss a headline figure first based on assumptions.

Then over the presiding weeks, under NDA, the buyer will get under the bonnet of the business. They’ll assess everything from staff to facilities to the financial viability.

Nobody would ever agree a price on the basis of public ally available accounts. They don’t contain sufficient information for much at all.

I don't think PS would "come after" any of us as we just ask questions, and speculate about issues that PS or the club have never clarified, or where the answers do not seem credible.

I think we all give him credit for a lot of things he has done for the club in the past, and acknowledge that the club appears to be stable and that there are worse owners and chairmen.

Nobody on here makes definite accusations of impropriety or posts anything that he could call "filth". Nobody has accused him of doing anything illegal, as far as I remember.

Do you remember that idiot who turned up on this forum trying to start a campaign to find investors? He was swiftly moved on.

While I understand there is industrial language at football, I don't want my daughter (or any other Gills fan) to have to hear "Scally you're a ****" chants from the terminally stupid members of our away following.

I'd be happy to call out this behaviour, I'd hope other Gills fans would too.

My son had to endure it at Burton. They’re twats.

Kent on line is one of our best communication lines to people who don't follow gills own social media accounts aka the general public we need to attract to games.

Today's sports headline and story is a replay of the latest chairman's chat

"Toxic atmosphere", "my own kids don't go to matches".

We have a few people in PR, communications and marketing on here and I'd be interested in their views on this.

Is this our very own Ratners (budget jeweller) moment ?

Should have kept in house and dealt with it legally with just a passing mention as described by many above.

He's right that those people should stay away - problem is I wonder if others will take the same decision.

"my own kids don't go to matches" - this isn't a Ratner moment, more of a his kids are sick of listening to him being abused moment.

Have just watched the Chairman`s Chat and it`s pretty evident that PS is feeling the acrimony directed at him very deeply.

In so far as the non-abuse related content is concerned, I felt that all of PS`s remarks and explanations were entirely reasonable and welcomed his feedback. But, once again, his body language was such that he seemed unable to put the updates over in a relaxed and communal spirited style. Perhaps, knowing what he was just about to get off his chest, it was a bit of a struggle to come over in a calm fashion - the perception I got was of a man in combat mode.

I really feel for PS as there is no doubt in my mind that he loves GFC and wants only good things for the club. Without him we`d probably now be in the National League. I`ve aired my views on here about the foul personal abuse directed at PS that I witnessed at Shrewsbury and at Burton. It`s totally unnecessary and inexcusable. Thankfully, even though the abuse can be audibly high (at away games) the actual number who appear to engage in it is relatively low.

Two points about the abuse that I would make are:

1) In supporting what Trev said earlier, the atmosphere among Gills fans is more noticeable and pronounced at away games than it is at home games. At many away venues the Gills crowd is obliged to sit closely together in a segregated part of the ground. I was not looking forward to the inevitable intra-hostility that would have been present at Burton had we been (as we were for the last game at Burton) compressed into a small corner of the ground. Unlike being able to select your "areas" at Priestfield, it would have put people with hard opposing views very close together. Fortunately, the potential venomous and hostile situation didn`t come to fruition as Burton opened up the away terrace as well as the seating. So, I support Trev`s opinion that potential (strong currently) toxicity among our own - is becoming a factor in deciding whether or not to attend.

2) PS indicated that abusive comments from our fans was having a negative affect on our players. That seems to be true - as evidenced by the direct reaction of Cummings toward our own fans at Burton when some foolishly started chanting that specifically undermined our own team.

On the issue of editing the Chairman`s Chat, the "control" is probably all down to PS. The fact that PS was perhaps a little excessive in repeating his summaries of the abuse was, I imagine, less to do with the chap recording the interview and more with how PS was feeling. Personally, I don`t think that PS came across very well at all - even when prompted to positively reference the Gills (majority) support at the away games, PS seemed to ignore that and return to the subject of personal abuse.

IMHO, PS could do with an experienced PR man (Eager Exile ?) as the case he puts over is more than justified but not helped by the manner in which it`s delivered.

To the idiots who don`t realise, or don`t care, that social media is a public space and entry to it requires one to be mindful of what one says/writes - I have no sympathy at all if they end up on the wrong side of a court decision.

I hope all this blows over as soon as possible (might take a while if it gets litigious) so that we can collectively concentrate on supporting the Gills - who, incidentally (!), are now playing some really good stuff !
Very noticeable that the piece on Kentonline about Scally going after those that are libelling him has no comments section. Presumably they are sensible enough to realise that if they repeat a libel, albeit in an unmoderated comments section, they would be making themselves legally liable.

Wael al Qadi personally bailed out Bristol Rovers and his reward was to get racially abused by a section of their fans.

Makes you wonder, doesn’t it ?
Who’d want it?

Suppose its a bit like being Prime Minister its all about holding the power

As an outsider looking in I make the assumption that he craves the power. I imagine all decisions go through scally. I imagine is a very centralised command and control.

Might be wrong of course. I'm sure waldo will tell me if I am 😉

As an outsider looking in I make the assumption that he craves the power.

Completely unfair Mark. It's a private business, so of course key decisions are taken by the owner and board! I run a business. Everyday operational decisions can be taken by employees, but I still want to know about them and have the ability to veto them if necessary. It's called responsibility, because if things go belly up those staff lose their jobs. In any case, things at GFC will be even more centralised at present, because Scally understandably got rid of staff to cut costs during the Covid lockdown - so he's having to do more himself. I dread to think how many hours he's working.

Completely unfair Mark. It's a private business, so of course key decisions are taken by the owner and board! I run a business. Everyday operational decisions can be taken by employees, but I still want to know about them and have the ability to veto them if necessary. It's called responsibility, because if things go belly up those staff lose their jobs. In any case, things at GFC will be even more centralised at present, because Scally understandably got rid of staff to cut costs during the Covid lockdown - so he's having to do more himself. I dread to think how many hours he's working.

Not only is it a private business but it’s a bloody small business. It wouldn’t be unusual for such a small business to have a degree of owner control.

Once people are in their 'gang' then its group and peer behaviour and sometimes its hard to see how you look or even take notice of what you are chanting. Thats how it was in the old RE for years.

So although I understand it I dont like anyone slagging off my team on match day even our own supporters. Theres a huge difference between shouting angrily when the football is crap or a bad bit of defending or ........ but constant abuse of the club or players or chairman is over the top. Its bad enough when you are annoyed with what your seeing but somehow made worse when others are annoyed on top of it.

Remember well the sixties where my uncles would be laughing at some of the play

Wonder what happened to the turn up and support your team no matter what and criticise after.