Chairmans Chat... | Page 11 | Vital Football

Chairmans Chat...

I doubt it works like that.

If someone really wanted to buy a 3rd tier football club, they’d approach Scally whether or not the club was openly for sale. It isn’t like buying a house.
Yes but If he decided he wanted to leave for whatever reason then he may have to publicise that he was open to offers. It appears that he hasn’t been looking for offers to buy the club in the 26 years he’s been here, but rather investment that would allow him to remain in charge, which seems to have been the main problem. (See the Mill Hill Village prospectus published a few years ago).
Anyway, can’t see it happening in the foreseeable future so it’s all moot.
He seems, in the latest video, to be talking up recent sponsorship opportunities which may help the finances somewhat.

Yes but If he decided he wanted to leave for whatever reason then he may have to publicise that he was open to offers. It appears that he hasn’t been looking for offers to buy the club in the 26 years he’s been here, but rather investment that would allow him to remain in charge, which seems to have been the main problem. (See the Mill Hill Village prospectus published a few years ago).
Anyway, can’t see it happening in the foreseeable future so it’s all moot.
He seems, in the latest video, to be talking up recent sponsorship opportunities which may help the finances somewhat.
If someone wants to buy the club they will approach Scally - whether it is advertised as being up for sale or not.

Kent on line is one of our best communication lines to people who don't follow gills own social media accounts aka the general public we need to attract to games.

Today's sports headline and story is a replay of the latest chairman's chat

"Toxic atmosphere", "my own kids don't go to matches".

We have a few people in PR, communications and marketing on here and I'd be interested in their views on this.

Is this our very own Ratners (budget jeweller) moment ?

Should have kept in house and dealt with it legally with just a passing mention as described by many above.

He's right that those people should stay away - problem is I wonder if others will take the same decision.

If someone wants to buy the club they will approach Scally - whether it is advertised as being up for sale or not.

Stating the bleeding obvious, but there would be a clear difference in the eventual price paid, depending on whether Scally put the club up for sale (buyer would hold all the cards) or if somebody submitted an unsolicited first offer (Scally would hold the cards).

I am not sure, in the club's current position and with Scally's hard nosed reputation, any prospective buyer with any sense would show their hand first, without encouragement.

Can't really be interpreted in any other way. He is saying that his product (watching a football team) isn't very good or enjoyable at the moment.

The article does clarify the £46k increase that he was accused of getting, but didn't (well did, but it wasn't for him).

The article does clarify the £46k increase that he was accused of getting, but didn't (well did, but it wasn't for him).

Am I missing something here? Did the £46k come from club funds? And, if so, what value has the club received for its money from sources in Dubai, exactly? What was the return?

PS made a decision to base himself out there, which was his right, and indicated that he was trying to find investors, but that proved to be a totally fruitless exercise. Did anyone seriously think there would be any other outcome?

It is hard to work out why he would have needed "staff". Shirley, if they were club employees, the figure could have been incorporated in to the separate staff salaries section of the accounts.

Stating the bleeding obvious, but there would be a clear difference in the eventual price paid, depending on whether Scally put the club up for sale (buyer would hold all the cards) or if somebody submitted an unsolicited first offer (Scally would hold the cards).

I am not sure, in the club's current position and with Scally's hard nosed reputation, any prospective buyer with any sense would show their hand first, without encouragement.
Mike Ashley put Newcastle up for sale in 2008.
He’s still there.
Nobody has either met his asking price or passed the PL tests of ownership.
In the meantime, he has refused to bankroll the club and they operate within their financial means.

Chairman mentions he's coming after certain 'fans' both individually and collectively as a group.
I wonder if he reads this board ?
Would anyone on here be 'at risk' ?

I reckon it’s purely the “fans” on the Facebook forum and maybe Twitter. Can’t remember anyone on here openly slandering him, even though there’s some not happy about him and that’s fair enough. Opinions.

I’ve already warned one of the posters on the GITBTV Facebook site who repeated the guff about Scally paying himself an additional £46k (that Scally addressed specifically) that he might like to get himself a solicitor !

Over on the “Fans” Facebook page, they (well, the main protagonists) are still claiming it’s a pay rise and that he’d have trouble with the tax man if he claims it’s not.

Another guy has since posted -

“Even if we believe that he didn’t get a pay rise. Why does he need to consult for his own club? He’s asking for trouble and questions with the lack of transparency and clear signs of deception.

Accusing PS of clear signs deception in the accounting? I reckon whoever that is, needs to be very, very careful. Hope it’s no one on here…

The bleeding obvious needed to be stated for Lark.

All this stuff about ‘holding the cards‘ is crap. The buyer and seller would go through due diligence before confirming the sale price.

I reckon it’s purely the “fans” on the Facebook forum and maybe Twitter. Can’t remember anyone on here openly slandering him, even though there’s some not happy about him and that’s fair enough. Opinions.

Over on the “Fans” Facebook page, they (well, the main protagonists) are still claiming it’s a pay rise and that he’d have trouble with the tax man if he claims it’s not.

Another guy has since posted -

“Even if we believe that he didn’t get a pay rise. Why does he need to consult for his own club? He’s asking for trouble and questions with the lack of transparency and clear signs of deception.

Accusing PS of clear signs deception in the accounting? I reckon whoever that is, needs to be very, very careful. Hope it’s no one on here…
What a moron.
Complains about PS getting a pay-rise which he has denied.
Then, presumably because PS’s explanation doesn’t fit with his agenda, makes libellous claims.

Kent on line is one of our best communication lines to people who don't follow gills own social media accounts aka the general public we need to attract to games.

Today's sports headline and story is a replay of the latest chairman's chat

"Toxic atmosphere", "my own kids don't go to matches".

We have a few people in PR, communications and marketing on here and I'd be interested in their views on this.

Should have kept in house and dealt with it legally with just a passing mention as described by many above.

He's right that those people should stay away - problem is I wonder if others will take the same decision.
I nearly stayed away from Burton away because I thought I would be surrounded by meatheads singing Scally Out from the first minute and first Gills corner etc. Luckily it wasn’t the case, just a handful who didn’t get many people singing along.

My flatmate would happily go to awaydays but can’t stand going to Gills fans due to the nature of our fans abusing our own rather than supporting the club. I know from Burton that actually we can be supportive, and certain home games too. But often I sit in the Rainham End and think that he has a point.

People don’t think of this side of why people don’t want to watch Gills, everyone assumes it’s because of Scally, Evans or the prices. It may sound cringeworthy but Scaly has a point when he says these main Scally Out chanters are damaging. Sing it when we’re down and out in a game, by all means.

The bleeding obvious needed to be stated for Lark.

All this stuff about ‘holding the cards‘ is crap. The buyer and seller would go through due diligence before confirming the sale price.

Due diligence would be difficult, though, wouldn't it?

Historic accounts can be examined, but in these days of short contracts would any value be put on the playing staff, for instance?

Then there is goodwill, which is subjective. So is "potential" of being able to buy land and build a self financing new stadium, at Mill Hill or elsewhere. Scally would see the recent planning progress as a reason to value the club at a higher figure, even though it is still at an early stage. A bit like putting in a planning application for an extension that you never intend to build, in the hope that it would obtain you a higher selling price.

I don't think PS would "come after" any of us as we just ask questions, and speculate about issues that PS or the club have never clarified, or where the answers do not seem credible.

I think we all give him credit for a lot of things he has done for the club in the past, and acknowledge that the club appears to be stable and that there are worse owners and chairmen.

Nobody on here makes definite accusations of impropriety or posts anything that he could call "filth". Nobody has accused him of doing anything illegal, as far as I remember.

Am I missing something here? Did the £46k come from club funds? And, if so, what value has the club received for its money from sources in Dubai, exactly? What was the return?

PS made a decision to base himself out there, which was his right, and indicated that he was trying to find investors, but that proved to be a totally fruitless exercise. Did anyone seriously think there would be any other outcome?

It is hard to work out why he would have needed "staff". Shirley, if they were club employees, the figure could have been incorporated in to the separate staff salaries section of the accounts.
It was from here

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway...er-these-people-gillingham-chairman-p-253953/

The money wasn't for him, but was paid to him, but was for other people.

I don't think PS would "come after" any of us as we just ask questions, and speculate about issues that PS or the club have never clarified, or where the answers do not seem credible.

I think we all give him credit for a lot of things he has done for the club in the past, and acknowledge that the club appears to be stable and that there are worse owners and chairmen.

Nobody on here makes definite accusations of impropriety or posts anything that he could call "filth". Nobody has accused him of doing anything illegal, as far as I remember.

Agree with all of that. I think he mentioned that he was coming after 3 or 4 people. Given what I've seen on Facebook (and that's just from comments on the official page, Kol articles and some of the non-"Scally out" fans groups as I left the worst ones ages ago), the 3 or 4 he'll be "going after" would be far more extreme and libellous than anyone on here.

Agree with all of that. I think he mentioned that he was coming after 3 or 4 people. Given what I've seen on Facebook (and that's just from comments on the official page, Kol articles and some of the non-"Scally out" fans groups as I left the worst ones ages ago), the 3 or 4 he'll be "going after" would be far more extreme and libellous than anyone on here.
I almost feel like I’m missing out now.😂
Can anyone look at it or do you have to be on Facebook?

I nearly stayed away from Burton away because I thought I would be surrounded by meatheads singing Scally Out from the first minute and first Gills corner etc. Luckily it wasn’t the case, just a handful who didn’t get many people singing along.

My flatmate would happily go to awaydays but can’t stand going to Gills fans due to the nature of our fans abusing our own rather than supporting the club. I know from Burton that actually we can be supportive, and certain home games too. But often I sit in the Rainham End and think that he has a point.

People don’t think of this side of why people don’t want to watch Gills, everyone assumes it’s because of Scally, Evans or the prices. It may sound cringeworthy but Scaly has a point when he says these main Scally Out chanters are damaging. Sing it when we’re down and out in a game, by all means.

I've always said and find it strange that people stay away from games because of what other people sing or say at matches - I'm maoinly only concerned with what's happening on the pitch and supoorting the team, but each to their own. I, of course, don't agree with the "Scally out" chanters and don't think they help the team at all, but I also think that Scally takes the "Scally out" chants too personally. We've heard it at Gills before in respect of Scally and managers and it's pretty commonplace across the country for lots of Chairman and managers and I suggest a lot take it better and often just ignore it. As I say, I don't agree with it, but I equally think he is out of order describing people who travel half the length of the country as not fans of the team and they should "stay away" just because they don't like him. You can like and support the team without liking the chairman and for that matter the manager (which some even now have reservations about). I also think that he's conflating the "Scally out" chanters with the vile and libellous social media posters - maybe some of them are one and the same and, if so fair enough, but I'm not sure that all of the "Scally out" protestors are the libellous social media keyboard warriors.

One thing that I am sure of is that him taking the challenge to them in the angry way he did in his chat yesterday will probably be met with an in kind response and I daresay he'll respond in kind in his next chat. So where does it end? It would seem in the courts or at least with letters from lawyers for 3 or 4 of them, but there's not much he can do about someone chanting and they may well get angrier and get their mates to join in, if he continues to get annoyed and angry at them (i.e. he's giving them the reaction they want)

What I do agree with is that it's not good for the club and I blame the boo boys for that, but I think that Scally is inflaming it, by giving it so much attention when there are, for a lot of us, lots more important things (and l think there are many questions he could answer and he seems to be playing lip-service to some of those issues and suggesting that they have just been resolved, whilst not actually addressing genuine questions and concerns from fans, e.g. the new ticketing arrangements).

I did hear in order to be accepted into the non-openly public Facebook group you needed to submit with your "let me in" request a 5000 word essay on why Scally is worse than Hitler, Pol Pot and Donald Trump combined with actual true antedotes that you know to be true as you have literally made it all up.

Watched the interview but got fed up with the constant references to positive and negative energy through out. Thought Paul was going to start waving the magic crystals about or mention feng shui and getting the ground re-aligned.

Still, I think he only referred the ship sailing twice. Thought his time would have been better used referring to how things are improving and emphasized that they have a new commercial manager and team, which has to be an improvement and less time on his detractors.

Last edited:

I saw some fairly extreme and potentially libellous comments on Facebook in response to Kent Online Facebook post about the Chairman's Chat. I think you have to be on Facebook to view that and other posts, but I'd be amazed if there aren't similar comments on the KoL page itself. I don't really use Twitter, but Twitter is completely open to view, even for non Twitter users and I presume a lot of the stuff he's talking about is on there.