Chairman acts to cut costs.... | Page 10 | Vital Football

Chairman acts to cut costs....

:dev:

Sorry for my ignorance. I honestly didn't know Levy was still paying Poch's and his team of coaches wages. Is that an alternative to severance pay or will that kick in when they find new positions ?

Firstly, I would take this report with a pinch of salt, as it originated from the Daily Mail. They quote no references for their claim.

That said as the club is desperately trying to reach an agreement with the playing staff and the coaches, it would be logical to assume they would approach everyone on the payroll, even those on gardening leave.

Nick, they're apparently on gardening leave, this is an oft used strategy by businesses/clubs to stop those in positions from influence taking advantage of their knowledge of how the business operates and any tactical and strategic moves they have planned. IN most businesses that I have knowledge of its usually a 6-month deal, as if challenged it's often hard to get the courts to support you, but at the highest levels in business if I ask an MD to step down, a years gardening leave is pretty standard and Poch with his knowledge of our scouting targets would certainly warrant at least a year., I wouldn't be surprised if he and his team are actually on a longer compromise deal than that.

I cant remember how long Poch had left on his contract. How much does he stand to benefit financially from his sacking ? So wages possibly up to 12 months plus a severance package in addition.
As it turned out the teams performances were severely hampered by injuries to key players this season, plus some perhaps questionable tactics by Jose. The season is up in the air and could still be voided or frozen as it is.
So in hindsight and financially, was it the right decision to sack Poch ?.

Don't panic everyone. After the Spurs documentary, Amazon are linked with sponsoring the stadium.

Perhaps Jeff Bezos fancies owning a football club and partaking with some of his trillion dollars :-)

Gotta love the Daily Fail. The independent also in on the story telling !!!

I cant remember how long Poch had left on his contract. How much does he stand to benefit financially from his sacking ? So wages possibly up to 12 months plus a severance package in addition.
As it turned out the teams performances were severely hampered by injuries to key players this season, plus some perhaps questionable tactics by Jose. The season is up in the air and could still be voided or frozen as it is.
So in hindsight and financially, was it the right decision to sack Poch ?.

Even with the benefit of hindsight, I'd say we needed a fresh start and a fresh perspective, Poch in my view had taken us as far as he could and his underwhelming performances were by far the majority in his last 12 months, despite the good/great ones they are what did for him; it just looked like the players weren't playing for him, so yes, Levy got this one right, but of course it doesn't mean that Jose was the right man to carry on, I personally thought it would work in the short term, but he wouldn't last.

Same as on here to anyone who says we've been in relegation form for 12 months. That if we were we'd be in the relegation zone.

My point is followers aren't necessarily the best judges of a team. Can be overly optimistic or pessimistic and relegating a team who would be out of relegation if they won their game in hand seems very unfair.

You're absolutely right. I know I have a double standard when it comes to Spurs. But I don't really care either. :cool: < Rose tinted.

Even with the benefit of hindsight, I'd say we needed a fresh start and a fresh perspective, Poch in my view had taken us as far as he could and his underwhelming performances were by far the majority in his last 12 months, despite the good/great ones they are what did for him; it just looked like the players weren't playing for him, so yes, Levy got this one right, but of course it doesn't mean that Jose was the right man to carry on, I personally thought it would work in the short term, but he wouldn't last.

Whether it's my own denial or the truth I still struggle with the notion that Poch had lost the players or they weren't playing for him.

Lloris was captain but had his own issues, Aurier is up and down whoever he plays for. Toby is a Poch player, Sanchez has come out and praised Poch but is not top notch anyway, Davies was struggling and still is, Rose is Rose, Winks is a Poch man, Sissoko likewise and never stopped trying, Dier had illness problems , Moura is up and down anyway, Alli was and is having his own issues not linked to Poch IMO, Moura I'm not sure about, Kane I do not believe would drop his performance. Vert I'm not sure about, Lamela no way but he is limited in what he can do, Loco was settling in. Eriksen was out the door.
Poch may have been out the door also, possibly had enough of austerity and not getting the players he wanted or any at all for that matter.

Whether it's my own denial or the truth I still struggle with the notion that Poch had lost the players or they weren't playing for him.

Lloris was captain but had his own issues, Aurier is up and down whoever he plays for. Toby is a Poch player, Sanchez has come out and praised Poch but is not top notch anyway, Davies was struggling and still is, Rose is Rose, Winks is a Poch man, Sissoko likewise and never stopped trying, Dier had illness problems , Moura is up and down anyway, Alli was and is having his own issues not linked to Poch IMO, Moura I'm not sure about, Kane I do not believe would drop his performance. Vert I'm not sure about, Lamela no way but he is limited in what he can do, Loco was settling in. Eriksen was out the door.
Poch may have been out the door also, possibly had enough of austerity and not getting the players he wanted or any at all for that matter.
What chance did we have . What chance do we have. ?

Think Toby made it clear he was no longer a Poch player. And if he broke his word to Mauricio and made him look a mug in the contract negotiation I can see why things soured.

Just reading Pollo's comment on AS Roma on the other thread. Continuing the theme on this thread.

So had a look around today trying to get a picture of where the PL clubs and players were in their process of creating cashflow and giving back. Here's what I found....

Cashflow
Arsenal took a 12.5% pay-cut on "annual earnings" which is recoverable on performance based clauses in the future.
Sheff Utd have agreed partial pay and bonuses "deferrals
Watford, Southampton and West Ham have agreed "wage deferrals"

Giving Back
The #PlayersTogether campaign has donated £4m so far to the NHS. Also, wouldn't you be public with your name if you contributed? Heres the visible Spurs names.

Harry Kane
Toby Alderweireld
Michel Vorm
Steven Bergwijn
Kyle Walker-Peters
Giovanni Lo-Celso
Dele Alli
Jan Vertonghen
Moussa Sissoko
Harry Winks

It does make you wonder what the f*** is going on with the player community including agents / PFA etc right now. For only a quarter of clubs to have concluded discussions and only 1 to have contributed rather than deferred doesn't feel good news to me. Same with the £4m charitable pot feeling embarrassingly low.

It's also possible that once the UEFA statement is out tomorrow, we'll see some movement - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52353856

BBC

FC Barcelona will be offering sponsorship naming rights to their famous Nou Camp football stadium for the first time in the 2020-21 season - with all proceeds going to help the fight against Covid-19.

"We consider it vital at this time of humanitarian crisis to use all of the resources available to fight against the coronavirus pandemic and its consequences," said club first vice president Jordi Cardoner.

In the UK, both the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London and Brighton's Amex Stadium are being used as coronavirus testing sites, and Manchester City have opened up their conference rooms and executive boxes to be used by the NHS.

Meanwhile Real Madrid's Santiago Bernabeu stadium is being used as a storage and distribution centre for medical materials.

• Just reading Pollo's comment on AS Roma on the other thread. Continuing the theme on this thread.

So had a look around today trying to get a picture of where the PL clubs and players were in their process of creating cashflow and giving back. Here's what I found....

Cashflow
    Arsenal took a 12.5% pay-cut on "annual earnings" which is recoverable on performance based clauses in the future.

Giving Back
    The #PlayersTogether campaign has donated £4m so far to the NHS. Also, wouldn't you be public with your name if you contributed? Heres the visible Spurs names.

Harry Kane
    Toby Alderweireld
    Michel Vorm
    Steven Bergwijn
    Kyle Walker-Peters
    Giovanni Lo-Celso
    Dele Alli
    Jan Vertonghen
    Moussa Sissoko
    Harry Winks

It does make you wonder what the f*** is going on with the player community including agents / PFA etc right now. For only a quarter of clubs to have concluded discussions and only 1 to have contributed rather than deferred doesn't feel good news to me. Same with the £4m charitable pot feeling embarrassingly low.

It's also possible that once the UEFA statement is out tomorrow, we'll see some movement - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52353856

UEFA updates National Associations ahead of Executive Committee meeting

Tuesday 21 April 2020

©UEFA.com

UEFA today met its 55 member associations via videoconference and presented an update of the options being looked into by the two working groups that were created mid-March.

A variety of calendar options were presented covering both national team and club competition matches.

The funding of National Associations through UEFA’s HatTrick programme was also discussed with UEFA reiterating its commitment to meeting the payments to member associations as planned.

There was a strong recommendation given to finish domestic top division and cup competitions, although it is understood that there may be some special cases. With this in mind, UEFA is currently developing some guidelines concerning participation in its club competitions, in order to assist its member associations in case of a cancelled league or cup.

Any developments on the above topics would be announced after the UEFA Executive Committee on Thursday.

Coronavirus: UEFA targets August deadline for domestic competitions
German health minister says Bundesliga could resume on May 9; Serie A hoping to resume training on May 6 but confusion over player contracts

By Bryan Swanson, Chief Reporter, Sky Sports News

Last Updated: 21/04/20 3:13pm

skysports-football-uefa-champions-league_4973268.jpg

UEFA hopes domestic European competitions can be completed by the end of August

UEFA still hopes domestic competitions can be completed by the end of August, ahead of a meeting with all 55 associations on Tuesday.

Europe's top football officials will hold further talks about the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, as players in some countries, including Germany, resume training with tight restrictions.
A working group, which assesses the fixture calendar, hopes to present its recommendations to associations by mid-May at the latest.

UEFA's executive committee will meet on Thursday and are expected to discuss leagues that want to end their season early.

Chief reporter Bryan Swanson explains what will be on the agenda at today's UEFA meeting, the latest called to discuss their next steps in response to the coronavirus pandemic

skysports-ceferin-uefa-aleksander-ceferin_4936196.jpg

UEFA's executive committee will meet on Thursday and are expected to discuss leagues that want to end their season early

Cancelling leagues without UEFA's approval could see clubs prevented from qualifying for the Champions League and Europa League, as they are determined by final positions in domestic standings.
Earlier this month, European leagues were urged not to "abandon" their seasons, after administrators revealed they were working towards plans to resume games from July.
UEFA, the European Club Association (ECA) and European Leagues (EL) called on member associations to "walk united" as they tackle growing issues from the global spread of coronavirus.

skysports-uefa-champions-league_4959662.jpg

UEFA are considering a proposal to move the Champions League final to August 29

UEFA is also considering proposals which would see the Champions League final being played three months later than scheduled at the end of August.
The Champions League final was due to take place at the Ataturk Olympic Stadium in Istanbul on May 30. Under one of the new proposals, which UEFA will discuss, the final would be moved to August 29 at the same venue.
The Europa League final which was due to be played in Gdansk on May 27 could now be played on August 26.
German and Italian football considering potential return dates
Germany's health minister Jens Spahn says matches could potentially resume in the country from May 9.
The Bundesliga has been suspended since mid-March due to the outbreak of the coronavirus but clubs have since resumed training with tight restrictions.
"What is crucial is that the infection risk is minimised," Spahn told Bild.

skysports-schalke-bundesliga_4964182.jpg

Clubs in some countries, including Germany, have returned to training with tight restrictions

"That would be for millions of football fans from May 9 onwards a bit of normalcy even with empty stands."
The Bundesliga will meet on Thursday to discuss the latest developments and consider a possible start date.
Meanwhile, Italian football is also considering potential return dates.
The Serie A League Council, which met on Monday, unanimously confirmed its intention to complete the 2019-20 season, if the government allows it to take place.
Serie A clubs could resume training on May 6, subject to the performance of fitness tests by players.

skysports-roma-serie-a_4972164.jpg

Italian clubs could potentially resume training on May 6

However, training sessions can only resume after a number of key details have been confirmed by the Italian Football Federation, Serie A and the Italian government.

Also See:

These include a set deadline for the season to end, a potential extension to contracts which are due to expire on June 30 and also confirmed dates for the transfer windows in the 2020-21 season.
Sky in Italy understand eight Serie A clubs have requested more information on player contracts and what exact conditions are needed to resume training.

Just reading Pollo's comment on AS Roma on the other thread. Continuing the theme on this thread.

Cashflow

Giving Back

Harry Kane
Toby Alderweireld
Michel Vorm
Steven Bergwijn
Kyle Walker-Peters
Giovanni Lo-Celso
Dele Alli
Jan Vertonghen
Moussa Sissoko
Harry Winks

at a rough estimate if all PL players took a 30% pay cut for 3 months it would be the equivalent to around £90M so 4M is less than 5% of that. Appreciate they're not directly equivalent but it's definitely fair to say they could be doing more than they have so far.

Chelsea reject players' request for smaller pay cut

Club has told players to continue with their charitable donations while they try to strike an agreement over way forward on pay

By Matt Law, Football News Correspondent 25 April 2020 • 1:06pm
Premium

TELEMMGLPICT000220033641_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqwD2sfO9joeQ6RY-qlTATNB2cSHopZMn-aCc647VHTAY.jpegimwidth=480

Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta, left, has been negotiating with the club on the squad's behalf Credit: Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

Chelsea have become the latest club to run into difficulty over proposed wage cuts after rejecting an offer from their players to take a reduction during the coronavirus crisis.
As first revealed by Telegraph Sport, captain César Azpilicueta had been in negotiations with director Marina Granovskaia over a wage cut that would run for four months to help the club through the financial impact of the suspension of the Premier League.
It is understood that Azpilicueta reached an agreement with the Chelsea squad over a wage cut that fell well below the 30 per cent that had been suggested by the Premier League.
It had been thought that the players were prepared to take a 10 per cent cut, but that was dismissed by Chelsea with a source saying: “10 per cent was never presented to the Chelsea board.”
Azpilicueta is understood to have told his team-mates that he had negotiated a good deal on their behalf and did not receive any opposition, but news of the proposal surprised captains of other Premier League clubs who have been against players taking cuts.
Chelsea confirmed in a statement released on Saturday that no agreement with the players over wage cuts has been reached and that, for now, the players will continue to make personal donations to charity with negotiations over salary reductions remaining open.
Arsenal had to enlist the help of their head coach Mikel Arteta to try to convince his players to take a 12.5 per cent cut after which the club put out a statement to confirm agreements had been reached only for it later to emerge some players were yet to accept the proposal.
Tottenham Hotspur are yet to find an agreement with their squad, despite chairman Daniel Levy’s call for players to accept deferrals or cuts over a month ago and Derby County have encountered problems in trying to negotiate 25 per cent deferrals with their squad, including former England captain Wayne Rooney.
While also confirming that they will not be furloughing any full-time staff, Chelsea said: “Representatives of the Chelsea board have recently held extensive talks with the men’s first-team to discuss how they can contribute financially to the club during the coronavirus crisis. The objective of these talks has been to find a meaningful partnership around ensuring we preserve jobs for staff, compensate fans and participate in activities for good causes.
“We are grateful to the team for having played their role in assisting the club with community activities as well as all the charitable causes they have been supporting in their respective home countries and through the Players Together initiative supporting the NHS. At this time, the men’s first team will not be contributing towards the club financially and instead the board have directed the team to focus their efforts on further supporting other charitable causes. As this crisis develops the club will continue to have conversations with the men’s first team regarding financial contributions to the club’s activities.”