Centre forward or a smaller quick striker? | Vital Football

Centre forward or a smaller quick striker?

chris who

Vital Champions League
With Gerald Sithole impressive display v Crawley the big question is do we need a quick forward or can he fill that gap?
Would we be better served by looking for cover for Oliver ?
I can't see the finances being there for both and getting someone who is big and fast isn't going to happen unless we go for a untested youngster.
I did think that's where we would head but now I am starting to think cover for Big V might be a more sensible move.
Perhaps that's why we have not heard anything on the signing maybe Gerald has given Evans a nice problem to mull over.
Your thoughts?

Cody MacDonald type player.
Getting a goalscorer in on loan of Cody's type would seemingly mean far fewer opportunities for Sithole in theory. If Oliver were to lose form or fitness we would have no real cover.I think the club will be best served by going out and looking for another player who can hold the ball up top and feed others.

Sithole has had a decent match yesterday and looked lively as a late sub on Saturday. The same was true with Elliot List. As well as he has done in about two hours of football, it is worrying if we are relying on him to be a reliable cover for Oliver.

Sithole has had a decent match yesterday and looked lively as a late sub on Saturday. The same was true with Elliot List. As well as he has done in about two hours of football, it is worrying if we are relying on him to be a reliable cover for Oliver.
I can't see Sithole covering Oliver but playing off him.If Oliver isn't playing we would struggle in my view.

I reckon SE is still looking at someone to play with Big V. A small quick type like Sithole.

Sithole has indeed looked decent enough in 2 outings. But getting another hopefully better (Prem youngster?) in on loan wouldn't hinder him. He looks likely to still be one of our subs and also used in cup games to aid his development. And he’d be learning all the time if he watches how a Prem youngster goes about it, plus our older heads to guide him.

Doubt we’d want to rely on him starting every game in L1 just yet. But that might change if he scores again on Saturday or next week 👍

I reckon SE is still looking at someone to play with Big V. A small quick type like Sithole.

Sithole has indeed looked decent enough in 2 outings. But getting another hopefully better (Prem youngster?) in on loan wouldn't hinder him. He looks likely to still be one of our subs and also used in cup games to aid his development. And he’d be learning all the time if he watches how a Prem youngster goes about it, plus our older heads to guide him.

Doubt we’d want to rely on him starting every game in L1 just yet. But that might change if he scores again on Saturday or next week 👍
That's not how I see it .Evans has brought in enough variety in midfield to go with Oliver up top on his own supported by one or two from Lee,Lloyd,Caroyol or a number of other possibilities. Having players playing slightly deeper means they are more difficult to pick up and rarely caught offside. I don't think we will regularly start with two up top .Bringing in a premier league two goalscorer will cost big time and like the Arsenal lads will we get anymore from them than Sithole could deliver. If he could get goals this season his value would sky rocket .If we are going to depend on a young player playing off the best ball winner in the division let it be our own lad for the last 30 mins of games etc.

That's not how I see it .Evans has brought in enough variety in midfield to go with Oliver up top on his own supported by one or two from Lee,Lloyd,Caroyol or a number of other possibilities. Having players playing slightly deeper means they are more difficult to pick up and rarely caught offside. I don't think we will regularly start with two up top .Bringing in a premier league two goalscorer will cost big time and like the Arsenal lads will we get anymore from them than Sithole could deliver. If he could get goals this season his value would sky rocket .If we are going to depend on a young player playing off the best ball winner in the division let it be our own lad for the last 30 mins of games etc.

Yep, can’t argue with any of that Chris. I’ve especially liked the look of Danny Lloyd. I think he could actually play with Big V in a front 2, or as one of a 3 sitting deeper. We do have options.

A from that angle, maybe a back up big man would serve us better. And in that scenario I don’t mind at all if Akinde stays and is that back up. But for the money he’s probably on, maybe we’ll go for another option.

Only SE (and maybe PS) knows what we’ll do.

I am not sure how common it is in this league but a 4-5-1 formation is quite common in the PL, hence why the team that won the league often played without a recognised striker. Aguero effectively missed the whole season, Jesus played less than half and Sterling was on the bench near the end.

Similarly with the Champions League winners, Jorginho was their top scorer with 7 goals,

I appreciate that Evans is hardly Guardiola and plays his own system but at present I think it is most important that the midfielders realise they have a responsibility to get forward and weigh in with a few goals, to supplement Big V's return.

On that basis, I think a physical striker who can hold the ball up, as cover fror Big V, is a priority. If he can also play with him, that would give us more flexibility than Akinde does, bearing in mind his age and lack of athleticism.

I think we need to accept that Sithole is a Sithole type of player and recognise what that is. He's quick, strong for his age and full of running but isn't a headless chicken. I'd not want to sign another PL youngster to provide the same. We tried that last year with variable success and I think Sithole will do better than either of them over the season. More importantly we will get the benfit of his development. I agree that I'd like to see another forward, who can play on his own and hold the ball up but also complement Oliver. They tend to be taller but come in various packages, someone mobile ideally; I think Samuel was intended for that role .

Depends if Akinde stays or goes really
You’re right.
I thought that Akinde was a pretty good impact sub last season.
When he fancies it, he can cause chaos in the opposition defence.
If he gets a move that suits him, I would expect SE to look for someone similar but younger and quicker.

You’re right.
I thought that Akinde was a pretty good impact sub last season.
When he fancies it, he can cause chaos in the opposition defence.
If he gets a move that suits him, I would expect SE to look for someone similar but younger and quicker.
Hanlan?

Rovers will sell him for £150k to get their money back 😂
To be honest, if he fitted in to our wage structure, I’d happily take him back.
As a number 10, he could do ok.
He’s never a main target man, which is how Rovers used him.
Maybe Scally should make a cheeky offer to get him off their wage bill.

Rovers will sell him for £150k to get their money back 😂
To be honest, if he fitted in to our wage structure, I’d happily take him back.
As a number 10, he could do ok.
He’s never a main target man, which is how Rovers used him.
Maybe Scally should make a cheeky offer to get him off their wage bill.
For me it's a no!

Quick, nippy fox in the box type gets my vote. However, if Sithole is showing signs that he could fill that role then, personally, i`d be more than happy for SE to stick with him and allow him to develop the potential he clearly possesses. If we have talented young players then play them.