Ceefax | Vital Football

Ceefax

Nobby_66

Vital Football Hero
I remember we had a thread about the end of Ceefax and some if us older ones were lamenting it's demise.
Well, for a bit of nostalgia, you can have your favourite football result made into a ceefax page and put on mugs, mouse mats etc etc.
Thought this was a good bit of fun, although a little pricey. (See link below)

I'm thinking 10-0 v Chesterfield just to get my money's worth with the lettering 😉

Cefax merch link

Used to love Ceefax. When there used to be just one page you could push the "update" button on your control and continue watching TV and then a small box would appear in the top corner when something has happened during any of the games.

I remember we had a thread about the end of Ceefax and some if us older ones were lamenting it's demise.
Well, for a bit of nostalgia, you can have your favourite football result made into a ceefax page and put on mugs, mouse mats etc etc.
Thought this was a good bit of fun, although a little pricey. (See link below)

I'm thinking 10-0 v Chesterfield just to get my money's worth with the lettering 😉

Cefax merch link

I like that, nobs. Might get my Dad a 10-0 one too.

Just researched the times of goals. In case you don't have them and to save you some time, they are:

Pritchard, 2, 14
Shearer, 31, 60
Shipley, 40, 62
Elsey, 42, 53
Smith, 56
Greenall, 84

I'm sure you know the date already but just in case, it was Saturday 5th September 1987.

Last edited:
I like that, nobs. Might get my Dad a 10-0 one too.

Just researched the times of goals. In case you don't have them and to save you some time, they are:

Pritchard, 2, 14
Shearer, 31, 60
Shipley, 40, 62
Elsey, 42, 53
Smith, 56
Greenall, 84

I'm sure you know the date already but just in case, it was Saturday 5th September 1987.

9-0 after 62 mins and we didn’t go for the jugular. Always had a defensive mindset did Sir KP.

I believe Chesterfield had not conceded a league goal up till that game too.

It wasn't Ceefax, but the equivalent, I suppose, of the teleprinter in James Street almost opposite the Prince Alfred. Would print the all football results after the game.

9-0 after 62 mins and we didn’t go for the jugular. Always had a defensive mindset did Sir KP.

Yeah, I remember us singing, "We want ten!", and it seeming more and more likely that we weren't gonna get it.

Most surprising thing for me is that Steve Lovell didn't get on the scoresheet. Mind you, he had got four against Southend the previous weekend.

With regard to Sir Keef's 'defensive' mindset, I know your tongue was firmly in your cheek OSK! But the story Sarbs and SBT tell of Pulis demanding a clean sheet at Burnley (the SBT 5-0 game) made me chuckle.

Last edited:

What I found funny when I heard afterwards was about SirK. SL recalls it:-
“Keith Peacock couldn’t believe it,” said former Gills striker Lovell. “He ran a little book and on the wall there was a list of possible scorers for the Southend game. We all had a little pound on ourselves, 6-1 to whatever, so I made a few quid on that one.
“He lost about £200 on it that weekend so he thought he would do it again for Chesterfield. They hadn’t conceded a goal in the league up until then and he thought his money was safe.
“But we scored 10 and he lost £350! That was the last time he did it.”

Yeah, I remember us singing, "We want ten!", and it seeming more and more likely that we weren't gonna get it.

Most surprising thing for me is that Steve Lovell didn't get on the scoresheet. Mind you, he had got four against Southend the previous weekend.

With regard to Sir Keef's 'defensive' mindset, I know your tongue was furmly in your cheek OSK! But the story Sarbs and SBT tell of Pulis demanding a clean sheet at Burnley (the SBT 5-0 game) made me chuckle.

Actually Buddha, I mentioned this elsewhere. When we went 1-0 up very early, our part of the RE started singing “We want 9” to beat the 8 v Sarfend. Little did we know...

And I heard that about Pulis and the clean sheet in Bobs interview. That’s what makes him (and that team) a winner 👍