Catcalling/wolf whistling etc | Vital Football

Catcalling/wolf whistling etc

Is cat calling is acceptable?

• Total voters

MedwayModernist

Vital Squad Member
Just wanted to post this here. Lot's of people taking all sorts of classic BS positions with regards to the Sarah Everard story, and I saw links to catcalling twice, as if this was some sort of institution that's being removed.

So, in your opinion, do you believe that cat calling is acceptable in today's world. It might have been back in your day or whatever, but is it acceptable now?

A later question should also be, would you do it yourself, which this poll doesn't have the ability to include.

Votes will be public.

One person`s hi jinx is another person`s vulgar outburst, whether it`s on the street or in a football ground during a Gills` Gems routine.

I haven`t answered the poll directly as i`d probably have ticked the box that asked if it were "outdated" and a bit silly. I wouldn`t do it myself and cannot ever recall having done it in the past, other than perhaps in jest at a friend in convivial circumstances.

I`d be very much against wolf whistling by men or women becoming a criminal offence.

I can remember catcalling once in my lifetime. I cringe with shame and embarassment and have done for many years about it. In fact I even remember approximately when; it was some time in 1981.

Depends on the context again.

Definitely not if it is a group of men cat calling at a woman they do not know, like the stereotypical building site scene. Tantamount to bullying.

However, the other extreme would maybe be a woman coming in to the office after having her hair done or wearing a new outfit being wolf whistled by a trusted colleague/friend who would mean it as compliment/joke and be pretty sure that it would be taken as a compliment. Can't see a problem with that.

However, the other extreme would maybe be a woman coming in to the office after having her hair done or wearing a new outfit being wolf whistled by a trusted colleague/friend who would mean it as compliment/joke and be pretty sure that it would be taken as a compliment. Can't see a problem with that.
I don't think anyone would consider that type of whistle to be "wolf-whistling".

I'm often called "darling", "love" and "sweetheart" by women in shops, some of whom are much younger than me. I would never say it to them, just doesn't seem right.

And re OP, no I've never wolf whistled / cat called. I was never one for the lads on tour, giving it large, cheeky widebody nights out. Some girls do go for it though, it can be seen as confidence (although I think it is being a twat).

Seen plenty of urban yoot when I am working in London, giving it the "yo baby, you so fine" attitude towards young ladies

Doesnt everybody like to feel attractive?

I suspect that despite all the faux outrage some women would find it occasionally flattering.

What is the only thing worse than being wolf-whistled? Not being wolf whistled!

And some older women probably look back at more innocent times and wish they were still young and attractive enough to be wolf whistled.

I wolf whistled once in jest when cycling home from work. Close to home and thought she was my wife until she turned and reduced me to dust with a withering stare. Context is all and it can range from stupid to downright intimidating.

It is not really acceptable or necessary and I am no man hating feminist but it will never be fully eradicated. I must admit at my age (mid 50s) if I got a wolf whistle I would probably die of shock!
Mrs Nobby is gutted that, as she enters her 60s, it never seems to happen any more 😁
She says that in jest of course although has never been offended by it in the past.
Her ex was in the army and she was a waitress in the officer's mess where she would regularly get her bum pinched or get "felt up" as she calls it. In those days it was almost morally acceptable as "just a bit of fun" but she would discourage it by "accidentally" pouring hot coffee into the pinchers lap.
I personally don't agree with the whole whistling thing simply because it seems so crass and 70s. Bit cringy isn't it?

Mrs Nobby is gutted that, as she enters her 60s, it never seems to happen any more 😁
She says that in jest of course although has never been offended by it in the past.
Her ex was in the army and she was a waitress in the officer's mess where she would regularly get her bum pinched or get "felt up" as she calls it. In those days it was almost morally acceptable as "just a bit of fun" but she would discourage it by "accidentally" pouring hot coffee into the pinchers lap.
I personally don't agree with the whole whistling thing simply because it seems so crass and 70s. Bit cringy isn't it?

This is the point I'm trying to get at, rightly or wrongly, it was seen as socially acceptable "back in the day" when it's definitely not now as times have changed. I just got sick in the other thread of people getting whataboutery involved at all stages when the issue at hand was how society should be treating women today.

Interesting that there are no "yes" votes there so far, when a few on the other thread seemed to be very much against the sisters trying to act against it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56361419

Doesnt everybody like to feel attractive?

I suspect that despite all the faux outrage some women would find it occasionally flattering.

What is the only thing worse than being wolf-whistled? Not being wolf whistled!

And some older women probably look back at more innocent times and wish they were still young and attractive enough to be wolf whistled.

I thoroughly encourage you to watch this. It's Fern Brady, Scottish comic on BBC 3, not sure why it's behind a log in for age restrictions though.

I wouldn't mind it if I knew and liked the person and it was done with good will rather than to tease or embarrass, and I can just about imagine situations in which I was acting to invite comment -showing up in look-at-me clothes at a social event, for example but, on the whole, I think I'd find it somewhere between tedious and worrying.

I go running and I am out of shape. If I imagine how I would feel if a group of Medway Munters wolf whistled me (as I know they would be taking the piss) then gives me the simple answer that its wrong.

To GBNs point above I don't even feel able to compliment a lady who looks nice anymore. That line has become so fuzzy I just keep well away from it.

Chatting to my sister her views on cat calling/whistling are largely based on the situation. If she were walking home alone at night, or with just a friend, and someone did it or slowed down in a car to do it she would hate it, get scared and probably order an uber. If she walked into a bar and someone did it she'd get an ego boost but ignore and discount the/those guys from her night.

I personally cringe at the thought of doing it and have never done it. You can pretty accurately imagine the type of guy that does it. I can see why banning it under a harassment law makes a lot of sense.

It's totally different to approaching a girl for a chat in a bar. In that situation trying to initiate a friendly conversation is largely acceptable as long as you leave her alone as soon as she says so or it's clear she's not interested.

I'm a single 27yo guy but err massively on the side of caution because as Mark says the line is so fuzzy and it's not worth the accusations or potentially ruining a girls night. There is a time and a place to bring up how pretty a girl is and it's never needed in those initial conversation for me. Sure the nice guy doesn't normally win but who's that desperate?!

I'd also add for a lot of my age group now bars etc. are more for getting drunk and having fun with your mates anyway. Hinge/Tinder/Bumble are more for trying to meet a girl. This is largely cause lots of girls also just want to enjoy their night with their girls and not deal with guys constantly pestering them.

Not the same in other countries where you can have a lot of 'fun' on nights out - Colombia and Mexico springs to mind on that front.

You need to learn to whistle,Nobby. A happy wife leads to a happy life:p