Carragher's kid off to Everton? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Carragher's kid off to Everton?

The irony is, most of our academy players are lads we picked up off the ground, dusted down and got them back on the pitch after being dropped by the Premier league academy's! Once they see they've acted a bit hastily they come sniffing back!
Didn't we pick young Carragher off the floor after he got ditched by Liverpool? Now his response is to fuck straight off to another Premier League club that will more than likely ditch him again in a few years time. I'm not gonna blame the lad specifically, but it's clear as day that he's being terribly advised by either his agent and/or daddy.

Didn't we pick young Carragher off the floor after he got ditched by Liverpool? Now his response is to fuck straight off to another Premier League club that will more than likely ditch him again in a few years time. I'm not gonna blame the lad specifically, but it's clear as day that he's being terribly advised by either his agent and/or daddy.
But he is a blue, just like Baines (who was let go by Everton, when young)

I’ve no objection to these lads going back to the clubs they support.....if they get the chance!good luck to them.The thing that is wrong is the system........surely the club that has put all the time and effort in to coach them SHOULD get a d3cent fee for their efforts......not a measly compensation decided by some board or other......that’s what’s wrong.

But he is a blue, just like Baines (who was let go by Everton, when young)
His dad might be a blue, but young Carragher's a red. He was at the Champions League final singing Liverpool songs with Paul Cook, Ryan Lowe and the gang. The six European Cups celebration with McGurk at OT. That's another reason why he shouldn't go to Everton, they'll never truly accept him.

You could argue if he stays and doesn't develop into a top player he'll never go to a big club and get the money. It depends on if your primary objective is money or developing and how confident you are that the talent will make it.

I bet there are a number of young players thinking 'i'm lucky to get this contract and i'll never see this much money again so i better take it now'. I'm not saying Carragher is or isn't in that category but if you are a bang average player who gets the chance unexpectedly you would probably take it.

What we are seeing is a consequence of being successful at youth level with our academy.

The larger clubs hoover up any and all talent available, take their pick of the best, then bin the rest. The only way to stop this is to limit the academy places that are available to PL clubs. They would still have the pick of the talent, as normal, but would be forced into releasing players to make space and therefore give opportunity to lower league clubs. Any talk about getting a fair price for a player is useless as the PL clubs have cash to burn and would still come calling if the price was higher.

We should be taking it as a compliment and proof that GR and the academy staff are doing a great job that so many of our academy players are being coveted by the big clubs.

I would also be knocking on Mal Brannigan's door if I were GR and saying, "come on then lets see the colour of your money and get these young players on decent contracts so they won't have to look elsewhere".

I’ve no objection to these lads going back to the clubs they support.....if they get the chance!good luck to them.The thing that is wrong is the system........surely the club that has put all the time and effort in to coach them SHOULD get a d3cent fee for their efforts......not a measly compensation decided by some board or other......that’s what’s wrong.
Exactly Charlz, I'm not having a go at the players, it is the system, years of hard work and money invested in these players, which ultimately the only people who benefit from that investment is the rich clubs. The compensation should be ongoing throughout their playing careers as, ultimately if it wasn't for academies like ours these players may have given up on football altogether!

We did have some talented young lads. but if these awful times had Not happened. How many would Cook have played. only played young joe. Under pressure from fans. Merrie. Perry would never have got a sniff.

But ...... surely, he was right John.

Last season, we were in the Championship - a significant step up from League 1. Merrie eventually developed to the stage where he was playing decently this season ... Perry wasn't quite as effective.

There's no way he should have considered them for a starting place - or even the bench - last season.

I've little doubt that we'd have seen Gelhardt with a starting place for most of this season ......but I may be wrong of course. Devine and Weir might have made the bench on a regular basis, but given we'd hopefully have strengthened the team last summer, who knows.

What would you do if you where offerd more money and better work facility than you have now ?

We have totally different ways of thinking about football. I think we would be better picking up. Premier league under 23. free transfers. Like Brentford. But every one to there own thoughts. Done it in the past and got some real good players. Unless we produce a real gem of a player. We will never get a lot of cash for them. I agree The young Irish lad looks good. Watched him a few times. and young Joseph. But they are going to get taken for peanuts.

It seems you've taken a 90 turn from the point we were discussing John. You make an assumption (no idea why) that I'm not in favour of picking up ex U23s on frees. I'm a massive fan of that (Powell, Keane) ......and scouring Scotland etc (McCulloch, Teale, McArthur, McCarthy) ....... but also of developing our own too.

I don't see why we can't do all 3.

We have totally different ways of thinking about football. I think we would be better picking up. Premier league under 23. free transfers. Like Brentford. But every one to there own thoughts. Done it in the past and got some real good players. Unless we produce a real gem of a player. We will never get a lot of cash for them. I agree The young Irish lad looks good. Watched him a few times. and young Joseph. But they are going to get taken for peanuts.

I understand what you are saying John, but isn't that why Brentford are the club they are. They have never been higher than they are now, but next season will see them without key players as that is the foundation of their finances.

I am not sure, but don't we get a grant to help with academy costs, and there is always the chance that a player will be sold on, maybe not for mega bucks but for enough to cover the running costs.

TBH , and I have not checked the figures, but I believe the academy is self financing and therefore an asset to the club not a millstone.

wouldnt class Powell as a under23. Cast off.

When he first came to us on loan, he was 19.

When he came to us under Cooky, he was 22.

Why on earth doesn't he fit the category of an U23 who didn't make it with a big club, coming to Little Wiggin for a second chance ?

You seem to be arguing against your own logic.

not bad for a cast off coming and being one of the top wages. I’m talking about players like Paul jewel. Tony Kelly. Mike Newel. let go After being. Released.

Now I'm really confused.

First, you say Powell wasn't an U23 release, he was a cast off
Now, you're bemoaning he was one of the top earners.

The players you mention were 30 odd years ago ! .... I thought you'd have quoted more recent examples ?

Any road, we agree ... we should use all avenues for bringing in new talent.

(y)

We just have different ideas. On football. Nothing wrong with that. We even had Toney. and let him slip. But that’s football

I said it in an earlier post, and I'll say it again John ... I don't think we necessarily do ... not on this issue at least.

This conversation was originally about whether or not Cook would use the youngsters, and I merely pointed out that last season's circumstances were totally different to what was presented to us this season ... then you digressed.

As for Toney, not every player is successful at every club. It may be the player's fault, it may be the club's, it may be neither. We've had plenty who've done great elsewhere but not with us .... probably balanced by the likes of Powell (and maybe Grigg) who've done superb with us, but not really cracked any pots elsewhere.

Our own youngsters, someone else's cast off youngsters, Scottish (and welsh and Irish) gems, foreign unknowns, ill-fitting enigmas, stale pros fancying a new challenge, bring 'em all. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
;)

The reality is every club in the country can lose scholars to bigger clubs before they sign pro contracts but it shouldn't put us off the youth system.

If we lose a young lad with potential for compo then it at least funds the academy to develop the other kids who stay. Then the lads who stay will hopefully succeed and maybe be sold for much larger fees. The only way the academy doesn't pay for itself is if we fail to produce any talent year on year which thankfully is no longer the case.

Say we lose Carragher on the cheap the youth system has still produced Lang, Robinson and Asgaard who have stayed and will be valuable assets. I am personally not convinced with them but Owen Evans, Merrie, Perry and Long could yet be added to that list eventually. If it wasn't for administration Joseph and McGurk would've been tied down and the 3 lads admin sold wouldn't have left. We also apparently have some other good young lads coming through.

So if we can park all of the damage from administration which after this summer should hopefully no longer effect the contract situation of young talent - the youth system has been a huge positive.

As shit as it is losing young players it's a by product of success and for every good one we lose if we produce a good one who stays it's still worth while. Finding and buying a player like Lang externally would probably cost us the running fees of the whole academy set up for a year or two and that caliber of player would be near impossible to attract unless we developed him ourselves.

We did have some talented young lads. but if these awful times had Not happened. How many would Cook have played. only played young joe. Under pressure from fans. Merrie. Perry would never have got a sniff.

Absolutely correct - no matter how good the academy is it pretty pointless ifcthere is no pathway to the first team !

The reality is every club in the country can lose scholars to bigger clubs before they sign pro contracts but it shouldn't put us off the youth system.

If we lose a young lad with potential for compo then it at least funds the academy to develop the other kids who stay. Then the lads who stay will hopefully succeed and maybe be sold for much larger fees. The only way the academy doesn't pay for itself is if we fail to produce any talent year on year which thankfully is no longer the case.

Say we lose Carragher on the cheap the youth system has still produced Lang, Robinson and Asgaard who have stayed and will be valuable assets. I am personally not convinced with them but Owen Evans, Merrie, Perry and Long could yet be added to that list eventually. If it wasn't for administration Joseph and McGurk would've been tied down and the 3 lads admin sold wouldn't have left. We also apparently have some other good young lads coming through.

So if we can park all of the damage from administration which after this summer should hopefully no longer effect the contract situation of young talent - the youth system has been a huge positive.

As shit as it is losing young players it's a by product of success and for every good one we lose if we produce a good one who stays it's still worth while. Finding and buying a player like Lang externally would probably cost us the running fees of the whole academy set up for a year or two and that caliber of player would be near impossible to attract unless we developed him ourselves.
It is also great marketing for our youth set-up as young players who see those lads moving in will be thinking going to Latics is a great way to keep their pro dream alive