Carlisle Travel Thread | Vital Football

Carlisle Travel Thread

hulloutpost

Vital Champions League
Warning to Imps travelling from the West side of the country. Junction 31 to 34 M6 Northbound (Preston to Lancaster) are tipped to be horrendous on Good Friday due to extensive road works that are being planned plus the additional number of vehicles on the road for Easter and reduced rail services. Throw in a good weather forecast in conjunction with Blackpool for good measure, I would suggest anybody having to come that way sets off in very good time. On a positive note the planned road works don't appear to affect A1/A66 so the majority of the fan base shouldn't be badly affected.

Warning to Imps travelling from the West side of the country. Junction 31 to 34 M6 Northbound (Preston to Lancaster) are tipped to be horrendous on Good Friday due to extensive road works that are being planned plus the additional number of vehicles on the road for Easter and reduced rail services. Throw in a good weather forecast in conjunction with Blackpool for good measure, I would suggest anybody having to come that way sets off in very good time. On a positive note the planned road works don't appear to affect A1/A66 so the majority of the fan base shouldn't be badly affected.

Oh that's a good idea! Pile in loads of cones all around Blackpool section of M6 just in time for holiday weekend!

Thanks for warning though as coming exactly that route...

Has been for years, Thelwall viaduct springs to mind.
Gutted I'm not going but not sitting in traffic does soften the blow of not going.

The M6 generally appears to be the world's biggest car-park.
Normally the hideous section is restricted to the section between Birmingham and Manchester. It would appear they are pulling out all the stops to extend it for good Friday.

Just travelled over this morning M62/M61/M6 up to the lakes. Traffic free flowing no sign of roadworks yet. That’s not to say the pesky blighters won’t cone it off by Friday though. Steady pace 3hrs to Windermere Safe travels all.

Normally the hideous section is restricted to the section between Birmingham and Manchester. It would appear they are pulling out all the stops to extend it for good Friday.

I think there are still variable speed implementation roadworks between Jcn 16 and 18, so this new works just makes a sandwich of the Thelwall Viaduct.

I think there are still variable speed implementation roadworks between Jcn 16 and 18, so this new works just makes a sandwich of the Thelwall Viaduct.

Those road works have all gone and its all open as 'smart motorway' what ever that is!
The original Junct 15 to 19 works have now moved down to between Junct 13 to 15.

Last edited:
Those road works have all gone and its all open as 'smart motorway' what ever that is!
The original Junct 15 to 19 have now moved down to between Junct 13 to 15.

Thank you. I usually get on at 16 and they had only re-opened 18-19 last time I went up for the Bury game, so that updates my partial information.

This is the updated position on Bank Holiday travel from the Beeb,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47894352

Predicted worst times and routes to drive on Friday
Area Route Worst time Predicted delay (mins)
North West M62 west J27 to J1812
North West M6 north J31 to J3415
North East A64 north Fulford to Barton Hill
London M25 J4 to J3011

The predictions are based on data from previous Easter getaways as well as planned roadworks.

Roadworks staying in place
Longest sets over Easter weekend

Road Near Roadworks (miles)
M6 J2-4 Coventry 14
M62 J10-12 Warrington 9
M6 J13-15 Stafford 7
M6 J8 - M5 J3 Oldbury 7
A46 Farndon-Brownhills Newark on Trent 5
M62 J33-34 Pontefract 4
M621 J6-7 Leeds 4